AGS Chain Story: BROKEN PICTURE TELEPHONE EDITION

Started by Vince Twelve, Tue 11/05/2010 15:18:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Twelve

OK, here are the rules for this edition of the AGS Chain Story activity.

The participants will be divided into three teams.  Each team will participate in three "events."

Each team will write a regular chain story, each adding 200 words.  But each story will start with a sentence chosen by the first participant from a list of sentences provided by a special "celebrity" (in quotes) guest writer!  These three stories will continue as normal until all participants have contributed to the stories.  This is the main Chain Story Event.

While that is going on: After each participant finishes his 200 (ish) word contribution to the chain story, those 200 words are passed on to someone from another team who will see only those 200 words.  That person will then have to create an image that illustrates the scene. This can be an illustration drawn on paper and scanned in.  It can be an elaborate piece of photoshop art.  It can be a bunch of stick men drawn with your mouse pad in paint.  It can be a photo you take of people acting out the scene.  Or it can be a single image or collage of images from a google image search.  Anything within your skills that somewhat illustrates the 200 words you were assigned.  The only rules for the creation of this image is that it can not contain any writing to help convey the story.  No speech bubbles, etc.  This is the Image Event.

And during all this: When an image is done, it is passed onto a member of a third team who must take that image and turn it into a 200 word contribution to a new chain story.  So, the first person of this event will have just an image and will write 200 words.  The second person will have the story-so-far, plus a new image and must continue the story with 200 words that relate to the image provided.  The third person will again receive the story-so-far and another new image.  Since the images might not relate to the story-so-far it might be a challenge and might result in some wacky stories.  This is the Broken Picture Telephone Chain Story Event.

This way, each of the members of all three teams will get three turns (not necessarily coming to them in this order since they'll be shuffled randomly for each section):

1. Each member will  participate in one regular chain-story, passing it down one-by-one until all members have contributed.

2. Each member will also have a turn interpreting a 200 word slice of a story from another team into an image.  (Not seeing any of the rest of the stories or images, only the 200 word section they are assigned)

3. Finally, each member will have a turn with another chain story where they get the whole story so far, but their contribution must be created based on the (quite possibly) unrelated image that they receive.

Complex enough?  Here's an image to help illustrate:

Again, I'll serve as the hub, so each contribution will be returned to me and I'll pas it on to the next person.  People will have 24 hours to reply to me saying they've got it and are working on it, and a total of 48 hours to finish and return their submission.  If someone doesn't meet the time limit, they will be skipped to keep the activity moving forward.  This worked pretty well last time.

This thread will be used for discussion of the rules and any discussion about the game while it is going on.  Try to keep all discussion in this thread non-spoilery regarding the contents of any of the stories or images!  I will also use this thread to update you on the progress of the stories.  Thanks!

Vince Twelve

Story status updates!

Chain Story 1
Images 1
BPT Story 1
7/7
7/7
7/7

Chain Story 2
Images 2
BPT Story 2
7/7
7/7
7/7

Chain Story 3
Images 3
BPT Story 3
7/7
7/7
7/7

Overall
63/63 (100%)

Fast turnarounds:  ;D

Stupot
Dualnames (x2)!
Tuomas
Privateer Puddin' (x2)!
[Cameron]
NsMn
Jim Reed
Ascovel

Vince Twelve

The activity has begun.  The first writers have been notified and given a selection of sentences to choose from that they must use to start the story.

The starting sentences were provided by our "celebrity" guest writer: Britain's reigning "Lit Idol" (because they cancelled the competition after he won it in 2005), my father, Otis Twelve!  :P

Dualnames

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Wed 12/05/2010 19:01:00
The activity has begun.  The first writers have been notified and given a selection of sentences to choose from that they must use to start the story.

The starting sentences were provided by our "celebrity" guest writer: Britain's reigning "Lit Idol" (because they cancelled the competition after he won it in 2005), my father, Otis Twelve!  :P

Lol. I seriosuly didn't knew you were related!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Vince Twelve

Alert!  Removed you've got about four hours to get back to me letting me know you've got your assignment!  (And then 24 hours after that to complete it)  Get back to me! NM. He made it!

Wonkyth

Sorry, my internet was down until just now.
Adding my bit now.  ;)
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Vince Twelve

No problm you're still within your first 24 hours!

However, Removed and Removed nearly aren't!  Need to hear from you guys soon!1

Wyz

Question for the image part: Is it possible to have more frames or is it supposed to have just one frame?
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Vince Twelve

I suppose if you want to make an animation, I would not disallow that.  However, part of the fun is when they totally misinterpret your image and are forced to make up crazy ways to fit it into the story.  So, whatever you want to do!

Wyz: By the way, the image in your sig is causing that authentication thing.  Might want to pull that until the server issue is resolved.  :)

Wyz

Ow, I meant like a comic, more frames.

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Fri 14/05/2010 19:57:27
By the way, the image in your sig is causing that authentication thing.  Might want to pull that until the server issue is resolved.  :)
I don't get the messages myself, but I hope this fixes it.

Edit:
Hmm the tinyurl images also caused problems. Should be fixed now.

Atelier

Hmm, sorry, but its still seems to be happening. :-\

Vince Twelve

Things are going pretty well so far.  We're coming up on 1/3 done.  I've had to skip two people so far.  One person got back to me in the first 24 hours and said that they wouldn't be able to meet the deadline and asked to skip them,  they'll get re-shuffled in later.  The other person got back to me saying that they were working and then proceeded to disappear, not answering any emails or PMs despite having been online since then.  :(

I also have two people who are currently past their deadlines, but I haven't skipped them because they're on images which aren't holding anything up until the telephone story gets to that point.  So, I've PMed them both verifying if they're still on the job.

Keep up the good work!  Some interesting stories here!

Vince Twelve

Current update:  We're up to 38 percent done.  Most parts are moving smoothly, but we have a few overdues here.

I have skipped Phemar twice now.  I'm taking him out of the rotation unless he gets back to me, so if you talk to him, tell him to join us!

Also Removed and Removed are overdue on things that they replied to but have not completed, so they need to let me know what's up.  I'm giving them both a few more hours before I lay the skip down.

There are a few people with upcoming deadlines today that hopefully they'll meet: Removed, Removed, Removed all have deadlines today!  Good luck!

Vince Twelve

A lot of people overdue right now, and I'm running out of people to skip them to.

removed  Get in touch and let me know if you need some extra time! 

In other news, we've hit two milestones:  One story (chain story 1) is done!  And we're overall at 50%.  Well done!

Phemar and Andorxor are being auto-skipped unless they get back to me.  If there's anyone who particularly want to go twice, let me know!  Otherwise, I'm going to double some people up at random!

Wyz

discordance

Jim Reed

I can double up for someone, if it's necessary, though I'm a bit busy, so please don't pick me first.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Vince Twelve

Phemar, Andorxor, and asuka_mercury are being auto-skipped unless they get back to me.

We're past the 2/3 mark.  Coming up on the home stretch.  Lots of interesting and weird stories!  Lots of nudity!

Wyz, discordance, Jim, and Dual are on my extra-turn list.  Let me know if anyone else wants in on that action.  Also, if anyone who didn't sign up previously wants to join, I could throw you in to take the place of one of the perma-skipped.  Let me know!

Vince Twelve

Because of the three folks who have dropped, I've done a bit of rearranging of people and I'm going to make the third chain/pictures/telephone round 7 people long instead of 8.  I'll allow the last writers on those two stories up to 400 words to make sure they have enough space to put an ending on the stories.

So, we're now over 3/4 done.  Just a bit more to go.  No one currently holding things up.  Keep em' coming.  I'll release stories as soon as all three parts are done.  So groups 1 and 2 might be released soon, but 3 looks like it will still have another week-ish to go.

Yay!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk