SteamPunk Pilot

Started by Scarab, Sat 05/06/2010 06:43:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarab

Hey guys, It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but now I'm back! with a vengeance new character for critique. :=

He's for the banner in the website I am possibly thinking about maybe tossing up whether to make or not.
Well here he is:
2x

Basically I was going for the a somewhat cartoon-y steampunk look, and I think he looks noticeably like a pilot, although I was hoping for any suggestions on how to shift him more towards the steampunk look.

Any help's appreciated.
Regards
Scarab.

Calin Leafshade

My first thought is a complete lack of contrast.

Also I would say some kind of spot colour would be nice to add interest to the sprite.

SinSin

Being honest.  
  When I first saw this sprite it kinda looked like a duck, and as Calin said a lack of contrast is a problem here. Also he doesnt seem very steampunk to me ...Sorry    I will have a go at a redraw but it will be later when I don't have a little ankle biter demanding to go swimming
Currently working on a project!

Scarab

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 05/06/2010 07:09:48
My first thought is a complete lack of contrast.

Also I would say some kind of spot colour would be nice to add interest to the sprite.

True, although isn't that yellow-y hue one of the defining features of Steampunk?
I'll have a play around and see what I get.

Quote from: Sinsin on Sat 05/06/2010 09:07:21
When I first saw this sprite it kinda looked like a duck,
Well, now that you mention it....
What I was trying to achieve was an exaggerated jawline though.

Quote from: Sinsin on Sat 05/06/2010 09:07:21
Also he doesnt seem very steampunk to me ...Sorry
Don't be, I agree... hence the "I was hoping for any suggestions on how to shift him more towards the steampunk look."

I was really looking for advice more on character design, rather that the actual execution of the sprite itself, if that makes sense.
I mean things like outfit modifications and accessories which make him look like a steampunk character.

Kweepa

Here is a competition to draw a steampunk airship pilot on conceptart.org:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1136461
There are some awesome accessory ideas in there.

I suggest making his jacket and boots a dark leather, and adding some lighter leather straps to the front and boots.
I also think the scarf makes him look a bit too WWI.

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SinSin

Very speedy redraw

It is by no means perfect but its what i could come up with on a very short time scale.

Also when creating steampunk characters try and load them up with obscure engineering creations, although my example shows none research the look on google etc etc
Currently working on a project!

Scarab

Steve: Thanks for the link, it gave me a fair bit of inspiration.
Sin: Thanks for the Paint Over, it gave me some good ideas for colour.
Steve: I didn't see your paint over until now, now I see what you meant by leather straps, I took it in more of a different direction.

Latest two iterations:

On the left is my first edit, trying to add a bit of contrast and saturation, on the right is when I tried to add a bit more detail, although I'm not sure if I've made it too noisy.

I think he looked a bit better without the 'hero' chin, and I quite like how the boots came out.

Keep the C&C coming  :)

MMMorshew

For some reason I totally like the look of your original sprite. It has it`s very own style and the bright colors really fit to the character in my opinion. It reminds me of old cartoons in black and white. I wouldn`t have changed anything at all, because I don`t like how the new version has very dark colors (leather suit) and very bright colors (face) at the same time.  ;)

Brentimous

Just messing around with it some. Maybe it'll help give you some ideas.

Jim Reed

EDIT:

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I like Jim Reed's approach to the design, though the creepy eyes remind me of Megaman...

Also, I forgot that I had made an edit for you awhile ago and didn't upload it.

I livened up the colors a bit, gave him suspenders and some other random type details but tried to keep the design close to the original.  You might find some of the colors helpful, especially the skin tones.

Scarab

Hey gang.
After a minor lull, I started working on this sprite again, mixing and matching features, and I'm quite happy with how it's turning out so far:

One thing I'm particularly iffy about is the folds on the trousers, But I'd be glad to hear any other suggestions/opinions you have.

Mad

Didn't really change that much, since I wanted to keep to your palette, and it is a pretty good sprite, as it is!

My major gripes are the featureless face and shirt. They look a bit bland and contrast-less (is that a word!?) compared to the rest of the sprite:

- I added a spiffing stache, enhancing his aeronautical skills!
- I'm not so sure about his sideburns going up to his mouth... changed that.
- gave the shirt some features (draw 1 => get 1 free!!!)

I also changed some minor things that are probably down to personal preferences:

- I don't like the eyes (probably just me)
- I find the blue goggles distracting.
- I fiddled with the shading of the helmet and trousers... not so sure if it's an improvement!

...but there you go!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk