The Johnson Report: Prologue(Put on hold for a while.)

Started by Ethan D, Sat 05/06/2010 08:16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan D

You're asleep...

There's a bang on your bedroom door.

If they find you...

It's over.

=========================

Sorry, for the slight lack of information, more will come with updates.

Anyway, in case you haven't gathered from the screen shots you play as David Johnson, whose background will  remain a mystery until you play the game.  I originally developed the concept for this for an MAGS game which I entered ironically so that I would finish something.  (Needless to say, the project was abandoned for a while.)  I've been working on it quite a bit lately, and except for character art (see below.)  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Length for the game will most likely be somewhere on the short side of medium length games depending of course on your intelligence and general skill with adventure games.

I'll be posting updates every Friday at 11:00 P.M. my time. (Whatever that is in GMT I haven't the faintest idea.)

Progress:(As of (6/5/10)
Scripting: 10%
Art: 8%
Music/Sounds: 10%
Story/puzzles/design: 100%

Progress:(As of 6/11/10)
Scripting: 22%
Art: 14%
Music/Sounds: 16%

Progress: (As of 6/19/10)
Scripting: 30%
Art: 16%
Music/Sounds: 17%
---------------
6/5/10:  Character Artist desperately wanted:
  For a while now I've enjoyed working on background art but I can't get the hang of character art for some reason nor do I enjoy it at all.  Obviously, if no one helps me with this then I will still do the art myself, but it would be great if someone could help me.  I'm expecting 2-3 months to finish this if I have to do the character art.  Not to mention that the quality wouldn't be great.  Whereas, if someone can do the character art I could finish it in around one month. (And have better character art ;))
6/5/10: (Again)  Looking for voice actors!
 I really don't know how to go about this so if anyone happens to know how to go about it then I would love the advice. :)  Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know that I'm looking for voice actors even though it probably won't matter for a good few weeks anyway.
6/11/10:
Nothing's changed except a little progress on the game.  Still looking for a character Artist/Animator, and still hoping for some pointers on how to do voice acting in a game.
6/19/10:
This week I got out all of the horrible work of the Inventory, save/load, title screen, options, etc,. I'll be glad to be able to start making progress on the actual game this next week.
7/12/10:
Well, I've been missing deadlines for a few weeks now so I thought I'd let you all know that this project has been canceled for now.  Many reasons for this but the main is that I was hoping I could finish this project before I could move forward with my main project I've been planning and researching for this last year, but it's FINALLY moving and I don't have time to spend on this.  I'll be announcing details in a week or two about my main project.  Sorry to everyone who helped with this.  You've certainly provided me with more help in learning what I need to know.
-----------------------------

Thanks for reading!  

Chicky

You might consider making those backgrounds a tad brighter.

Ethan D

I always forget that my computer displays things brighter than other ones.  Thanks for pointing that out chicky!

EDIT AGAIN: I feel I should mention that I am not abandoning "A New Danger."  (Although, it may look like it.) 
Also, do the screen shots look any better?

I love comments and criticisms. :)

mkennedy

The first screen looks to be completely black on my computer.

Darth Mandarb

Let's move on from the "dark" screenshots.  If you can't see them turn up the brightness on your monitor.  I can see them just fine on my screen (even though dark).

Also, Ethan D, if you want comments/criticisms please post in the Critics Lounge.   This is not the board for that type of post!

Ethan D

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sun 06/06/2010 16:48:03
Also, Ethan D, if you want comments/criticisms please post in the Critics Lounge.   This is not the board for that type of post!

Well, the post is to let people know about the game, i was just saying that I appreciate comments on what people think and criticisms if someone sees something that bothers them.  For instance I have now seen that I should include a brightness slider in the options of the game because people's monitors are all different.

Again, this post is primarily to let people know of the game, not for comments.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Glad to hear the last mags got you working on your project.  I hope you'll see it through!

Dualnames

Quote from: ProgZmax on Mon 07/06/2010 00:17:52
Glad to hear the last mags got you working on your project.  I hope you'll see it through!

Seconded! Shame you didn't participate after all, but greatness no matter what. I feel the screen-shots are a tad dark, sorry if everyone's said that, and I don't want to rub it on you. But concerned to the light blue it kind of makes it harder for my eyes to adjust.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ethan D

Ah, update time, the magical time of the week where I can talk about how little I've done.  New percentages are at the top.

Still looking for a character artist/animator. (Or just animator if no one wants to do base character art.)

Anyway, sadly I don't have any new screen shots for you all.

But I thought I'd explain why I am calling this a prologue:
   [stating the obvious] Normally, a prologue is something that is made after an original to give more background to the story. [/stating the obvious]  I have however, created a whole world I want to show people with some pretty complex stories going on, but I want you to see it from the beginning.  Even though the beginning is more action based than story. (Not to say that this is an action game... mostly.) Anyway, the reason I make this prologue first is because it wouldn't really add depth, and it doesn't tell much of the story.  It does however give hints about a few things that are going on in the bigger picture.

Now, if my ramblings haven't confused you:

I hope that this project of mine meets my expectations and of course yours as well so thanks for the comments and support.  :)

Ethan D

Sorry for the double post everyone. 

I've decided that since a bunch of people can't seem to see the backgrounds I'll upload brighter versions. The game will come with a gamma adjuster in the options menu so brightness will be adjustable per computer but until then heres some brighter screen shots:

Hopefully people can see those, if not I'm at a loss for what to do.

Again, sorry for the double post.  If no one posts for another week I will not post a third time I'll just post the update information up at the top post like I've been doing.

neon

I can't see much difference between the first and the second set of screenshots. I did not compare them directly, only by scrolling up and down, but the new ones are also very dark. Maybe it's an issue with the monitor I'm using here at home. I can check it again when I'm back in the office on monday.

Anian

Quote from: neon on Sat 19/06/2010 06:13:12
I can't see much difference between the first and the second set of screenshots. I did not compare them directly, only by scrolling up and down, but the new ones are also very dark. Maybe it's an issue with the monitor I'm using here at home. I can check it again when I'm back in the office on monday.
I still can't see the bedroom one either, I can see some lines etc. but not really anything clearly.

If it's supposed to be dark, but you're still able to see (if it's not some "find the light switch" puzzle) then I suggest that which other people do (or in the movies there's a similar technique) - change the pallete to pruple, blue etc. and make it bright but in colors that are usually used for the dark.
Or draw just outlines of stuff in the room in some rather bright color. So it's kind of a 2-color thing.

It doesn't have to actually be dark, just a visual cue that it is, that's enough.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ethan D

Hmmmm, I'll tell you what I'll do.  If anyone is willing to check it out, I'll upload a demo that goes only through the first room's puzzle and I'll put a gamma adjuster at the bottom of the screen so you can mess with it.  If at max gamma it still isn't visible then I'll redo the backgrounds, although I'd love to not have to.

Anyone willing to help out with this?

Frodo

Quote from: Ethan D on Sat 19/06/2010 20:47:55
Hmmmm, I'll tell you what I'll do.  If anyone is willing to check it out, I'll upload a demo that goes only through the first room's puzzle and I'll put a gamma adjuster at the bottom of the screen so you can mess with it.  If at max gamma it still isn't visible then I'll redo the backgrounds, although I'd love to not have to.

I'll give it a bash.  I'm having problems seeing the screens as well.   ;)

neon

Quote from: Ethan D on Sat 19/06/2010 20:47:55

I can check that for you, just send me a link.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk