[CANCELED] The Curse of Monkey Island - Classic Edition

Started by Jackpumpkinhead, Thu 02/12/2010 22:35:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackpumpkinhead

THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND: OLD SCHOOL EDITION DEMO

This is a fan-made remake (or demake if you will) of the classic Lucasarts game "The Curse Of Monkey Island", the third installment of the Monkey Island series. The aim of this game is to give fans of the original game an idea of what the game would have been like had Lucasarts made it wih the same version of the SCUMM engine, art and animations as "The Secret of Monkey Island" and "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge".  Currently I am just working on the free demo that you can download here, but I would love to continue to do the entire game.

For current information and updates on the progress of this project please visit my blog at cmioe.blogspot.com/

If you would like to help in the development of this project, I am currently looking for:

Background artists
   Spriters
   MIDI Musicians

If your interested in helping in these or other areas please feel free to contact me via pm or email at the following address:

Jackpumpkinhead@writeme.com.

Thanks for your support and have fun!!!

v. 0.1.0.0 (Newest)

Installer Version:
Download Here

ZIP Version:
Download Here

[Screenshots]

Progress:

Story: 100%  :)
Scripting: 95%
Graphics: 95%
Sound/Music: 50%

read an interview for the game at Indie Game Magazine
currently on an indefinite hold.

mode7

Honestly I don't see the point. While you may argue about the characters in CMI the BGs are some of the best Adventures have to offer. Bill Tiller is probably the artist which style did influence me. Doing a demake, while a funny idea for a few BGs would never be worth the effort.

Frodo

Nice screenshots, but...

'Oops! This link appears broken.'

:(

Kweepa

Quote from: mode7 on Thu 02/12/2010 23:07:35
Honestly I don't see the point.
I do. Please continue!

While you may argue about the characters in CMI the BGs are some of the best Adventures have to offer.
I thought they were bland and empty.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

theo

awesome project! Certainly an original way of doing a remake I'd say.  ;D

I gotta agree that CMI is a gorgeous game though, but that doesn't mean that this is pointless.

Remember however that MI1 and MI2 were also quite different in style. They shared very similar character sprites but the backdrops where very different in very many ways, lumping the two together stylistically to me is wrong, though they do share several technical aspects. So please consider this when doing your remake, what style exactly are you trying to emulate?

abstauber

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Fri 03/12/2010 07:09:29
I do. Please continue!

Me too, pretty please continue :D

I hope someday somebody does a demake Monkey Island 4 so I can finally playit.
(yes, I haven't played MI4, I hated the way, Guybrush looked there.)

Ali

I agree with theo's point that the first two games had very different styles, yours looks closer to MI1, but you don't have quite as strong a control of colour as that game used.

I also agree with a remake of Monkey Island 4, though it would also need a re-write to come up to the standard of the previous games. Likewise a de-make of Simon the Sorceror 3 or perhaps Gabriel Knight 3 (which I thought was great in other respects) wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry if that's going off topic. This game sounds slightly unnecessary, but like a fun effort, so good luck!

arj0n

poc301

I have to say I prefer the style of the first 2 games MUCH MORE than that of Curse.  This could be cool, since the different art style was enough of a turn-off to me that I never played it back in the day.  This'll be a new game for me :)  I was much more picky when I was younger lol.

-Bill

Chicky

Not only should you continue this project but you should keep with your current style! The backgrounds look lovely, they're clear and the composition feels right. Good luck!

arj0n

Quote from: Frodo on Fri 03/12/2010 01:44:14
Nice screenshots, but...
Oops! This link appears broken.'
  :(

Try this one

Quote from: Jackpumpkinhead on Thu 02/12/2010 22:35:30
i am seriously thinking about redoing all of the backgrounds that i have
because i feel that they are not up to par to where they should be
Don't. Keep it this style cause they're really cool this way! :)

Jackpumpkinhead

Thanx for the help on the link
i fixed the one on the first post

i also appreciate the support and constructive criticism
i just wish that my BGs looked more like these:

http://www.barnettcollege.com/pix/screenshot04.jpg
http://www.barnettcollege.com/pix/screenshot05.gif

so i guess like MI2
i have been using Paint.Net and drawing the BGs really big
and then shrinking them down and saving them as an 8-bit bmp
i just wish that i could get a more uniform look between the sprites and the BGs

i have put out a few request at http://www.pixeljoint.com/ and http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php
so hopefully i will get a few bites and have a good BG artist at my side :D

edit by darth - posts combined.  Please use the modify button (don't double post)!

Barricus

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 03/12/2010 08:51:24
I do. Please continue!

I hated the control scheme.  It was too...joysticky (that sounded extremely dirty).   About the game:  It looks beautiful, but I can't really get behind the premise.  I loved COMI and fan remakes of games just don't sit right with me.  CJ gave us this wonderful tool to let our imaginations soar and it feels like a little bit of a waste to make a remake for the sole purpose of changing the look.  I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but if games, especially adventure games, are to be taken seriously as an artistic medium, we need to use original material as much as possible.

cianty

This looks very good!

I have to say that a de/remake of MI4 would be great indeed as I too never played it because of the graphics. That would be really cool.

I always enjoyed MI3 as it was but this is definately an interesting project.
ca. 70% completed

Fitz

This look like fun! While I agree it's MI4 and anything they released afterwards that could REALLY use a demake - it'd be interesting how you'd convert one of the best 2d adventure games EVER back to lo-res. It's certainly not pointless. I think for many of us AGS fans and game makers the whole point is to play pretend like it's early nineties again. We COULD make hi-res games in 16 million colors - but some of us love the pixel art and 256 colors and having to work around technical limitations :)

Matti

Nice idea!

I can't remember much of Monkey Island 3 and would definitely prefer playing it again in your style rather than the original one, mainly because Guybrush's look became unbearable after the first two games.

Good luck with this. If it's going to be playable and polished, this is definitely something for me.

m0ds

QuoteGood luck with this. If it's going to be playable and polished, this is definitely something for me.

Same, and as it's free - even better. I never played CMI simply cos I could never afford it, (and I wasn't a big fan of the change of art style). Will keep an eye on your project :)

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: Barricus on Sat 04/12/2010 07:07:29
Quote from: abstauber on Fri 03/12/2010 08:51:24
I do. Please continue!

I hated the control scheme.  It was too...joysticky (that sounded extremely dirty).   About the game:  It looks beautiful, but I can't really get behind the premise.  I loved COMI and fan remakes of games just don't sit right with me.  CJ gave us this wonderful tool to let our imaginations soar and it feels like a little bit of a waste to make a remake for the sole purpose of changing the look.  I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but if games, especially adventure games, are to be taken seriously as an artistic medium, we need to use original material as much as possible.

i understand your position (more inuendo (:) but this is more of a learning experiance for me
this is my first go around with AGS and i hope that it will not be the last.
i have a few ideas for an original game so don't worry
this isn't going to be my only contribution to the AGS community
i just wanted to do something where i didnt have to worry about dialog or story
i could just learn and have fun at the same time

Snake

This looks great. If and when this is completed, I will definitely play it. Like Mods, I never got to play it.

By the way, I think my friend Dualnames would be honored to help you with this ;)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Dualnames

Quote from: Snake on Sun 05/12/2010 00:07:26
This looks great. If and when this is completed, I will definitely play it. Like Mods, I never got to play it.

By the way, I think my friend Dualnames would be honored to help you with this ;)

Hey watch it!!  :D
Also this reminds me of that discussion I had with LUniqueDan and some other topic related to Monkey Island (the poster one).  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

snoopy

Looks great!!! Just wondering how are you going to remake the scenes where you are firing cannons at the pirate boats to board there ships and do the sword fighting? ???

MMMorshew

Wow, doing such a project must be a HUGE undertaking. Monkey Island 3 is by far my favorite game of the series (especially because of the wonderful graphics), but I would still love to play this game.

However, I have one criticism:
The background style doesn`t really looke like MI1 or MI2. I would like it if you would leave out the Anti Aliasing and use pixels and dithering to get a look that reminds me more of MI1.  ;)

Also, I think it would be a good idea to first finish the entire game by using placeholder graphics. This way, you have the "skeleton" of your game finished and you would "only" have to add the graphics. If you show that to people, they will see that there is a progress and that the game will most likely be finished someday. Also, I believe that many people (and me ;D ) would then like to help you with drawing sprites and backgrounds.

subspark

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: MMMorshew on Sun 05/12/2010 09:40:01
Wow, doing such a project must be a HUGE undertaking. Monkey Island 3 is by far my favorite game of the series (especially because of the wonderful graphics), but I would still love to play this game.

However, I have one criticism:
The background style doesn`t really looke like MI1 or MI2. I would like it if you would leave out the Anti Aliasing and use pixels and dithering to get a look that reminds me more of MI1.  ;)

Also, I think it would be a good idea to first finish the entire game by using placeholder graphics. This way, you have the "skeleton" of your game finished and you would "only" have to add the graphics. If you show that to people, they will see that there is a progress and that the game will most likely be finished someday. Also, I believe that many people (and me ;D ) would then like to help you with drawing sprites and backgrounds.

so i decided to give redoing the cannon room without and anti aliasing using Cosmigo's Pro Motion
and this is the result. i am not 100% happy with it. i am thinking about just sticking to what i have.
i am kinda wanting to go with an in between MI1 and MI2 style, and i think i've achieved that...somewhat
any hoot, here is a comparison picture of what i have finished on the non anti aliasing and what i have in the game
currently:

BTW i did some research online and i think that i may change my technique a bit when it comes to doing backgrounds.
also i think i may use some skeleton drawings to use in the game as you suggested so that i can finish the actual game

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I agree with SteveMCrea 100%.  I never liked Curse's art direction so this is an interesting development.  I hope you follow through with it!

Edit:  I think the above image is a good start, just look at a few tutorials on the usage of 8-bit gradients and you should end up with a more pleasing result.

Joe

Nice project! But please release a zipped version, most people in this forum don't like installers.  ;)
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Jackpumpkinhead

okay this is a new pic of what i have done with the cannon room
i would really love some feed back on this
thanx

Mati256

I think you have no bars in your window but the shadow shows them.
I am right?
My Blog! (En Español)

Darth Mandarb

Please post in the critics lounge if you want feedback ... keep the C&C out of this thread please.

Lewys Crimson

Hello Jackpumpkinhead,

I'm Lewys Crimson, a french video game maker.
Firstly, I congratulate you for this project,  It's a great job. Being a fan of the series, I look forward to play the full game.

Then, I warn you that I news your project on our French video game development community , if ever you're interested to know the opinion of French developer, the link is here:
http://www.rpg-maker.fr/newsnorm-214-the-curse-of-monkey-island-old-school-edition.html

Indeed, one member made you note on your last picture, saying that the gate of the above is gone, but shadow she still is.

Good luck for the future!

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: Lewys Crimson on Sat 18/12/2010 12:48:57
Hello Jackpumpkinhead,

I'm Lewys Crimson, a french video game maker.
Firstly, I congratulate you for this project,  It's a great job. Being a fan of the series, I look forward to play the full game.

Then, I warn you that I news your project on our French video game development community , if ever you're interested to know the opinion of French developer, the link is here:
http://www.rpg-maker.fr/newsnorm-214-the-curse-of-monkey-island-old-school-edition.html

Indeed, one member made you note on your last picture, saying that the gate of the above is gone, but shadow she still is.

Good luck for the future!

i appreciate all of the input from everyone here and the support
i am working on setting up a blog for this project.
i am just dont have a lot of time to work on the blog yet
hopefully i will get a few hours to set it up right.

Dualnames

This reminds me of that poster topic for a reason..just saying. Again.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 20/12/2010 17:22:05
This reminds me of that poster topic for a reason..just saying. Again.
i dont understand sorry

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yes, please release any demos or betas without installers.  It takes more time to install and uninstall this than it does to view the content.

As far as the demo, I think it's looking pretty good so far.  As usual, some of the poor writing in the original rears its ugly head here as well, like the atrocious concept that Wally wouldn't recognize Guybrush (and vice-versa), let alone the nonsense of him even trying to become a pirate.. It felt like a really contrived attempt to cameo in a character just to try and make the game more 'legit' without Ron Gilbert involved.  None of this is your fault, of course.

Jackpumpkinhead

Well the reason for the installer was so that when i released this on other sites people would know what to do.
not everyone knows to just open the zip and run the exe
this just made it easier on me
but until i have a finished demo/game i wont make an installer

also i now have a blog for this project
its not much right now, but it is something
i intend on keeping it current with all of the progress that i make on the game

you can find it at cmioe.blogspot.com/

Czar

hah. definitely an award for the approach on "remaking." the first comment kinda put me off because it came from someone obviously inexperienced, and un-sensitive to genius ideas like this one. keep it up.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Jackpumpkinhead

i think that i am going to change the name from "Old School Edition" to "Classic Edition" if the mods could change that title of this thread to be "The Curse of Monkey Island - Classic Edition" that would be great. thanx

Digital Mosaic Games

Wow! You got great plans! I love every MI Part. And I have to admit that I like the graphic style of MI3 much more than the older ones. But anyway it's a very interesting game. It's would be great to see how the atmosphere of the older Lucas Arts-Adventures interact with the new.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Jackpumpkinhead on Sat 25/12/2010 00:28:53
i think that i am going to change the name from "Old School Edition" to "Classic Edition" if the mods could change that title of this thread to be "The Curse of Monkey Island - Classic Edition" that would be great. thanx

You can do it yourself by editing your very first post. When doing so you'll see you can also edit the Subject.

chapter11studios

Just want to say I love the idea of a "classic edition" version of this game. Good luck with it!

Jackpumpkinhead

Darth Mandarb

Please update the first post (one of the screenshots has been moved/deleted and is not displaying)
Thanks!

Takyon

Yeah sorry about that, the IGM site went down and they lost a hell of a lot of content. I only realised the interview had gone down recently and re-upped it. Thanks for posting bbX
ghost.

SuperDre

Even though this is a great idea, there's always the big point of not being able to release it due to you're propably not getting permission from Lucasarts.. Second if you really want to do a 'classic edition' it also should really LOOK like the classic one, and from the screenshots I've seen so far that's not really the case to me..
Why not spend all your energy on a game of your own so you won't have any problems with releasing it..

Jackpumpkinhead

Well this is my first game and i am not planning on doing to entire game
i am just going to do the first chapter or so.
i do have a few ideas for an original game that i am still trying to work out
all of the story out. but i appreciate your input

Jackpumpkinhead

Davostros

Dude this rocks keep up the good work. I've played MI3 despite the fact that i was at first repelled by the style that had nothing to do with MI and MI2. I quickly fell into the charm of the new graphics but playing your demo made me love the old school way more then ever of course. The main difference between MI and M2 is the backgrounds, they use the same sprites system but MI as pixelized art background while MI2 has hand painted graphics going through the scanner. Just wanted to say that if you happen to get the hook the litterature and the rod before using the canon the debris and skull wont show up after all canon shoots. I had to restart and use the canon first.

Darth Mandarb

Davostros - please read the forum rules before posting and do not dig up any more threads.

As this was very close to the 'old thread' cut-off I'm not going to lock it, but Jackpumpkinhead it would be nice if you could provide an update since was dug-up.

Jackpumpkinhead

unfortunately i dont have an update for this yeah. but i will look into the bug and update asap

DutchMarco

I found MI1 to be aesthetically superior to MI2, esp. the early chapters of MIO2 looked a bit yucky, but it was cool that they usedmore than MI1's 16. I've never played CMI, but from what screenshots I've seen, your style is nicer (although I understand the comment of MI1 having more refined use of colour. Having said that: This effort gets a lot of applause from me, please bring it to fruition! And well done so far!

There's just one thingy I've noticed so far (debatable whether this should go in hints & tips or here:)

After having accidentally shot at the fortress 1x and then the 3 boats, and made the gaff, the pirates' remains don't come floeting near the ship - have I mucked up my sequence of actions?)

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: DutchMarco on Sun 06/11/2011 15:11:16
I found MI1 to be aesthetically superior to MI2, esp. the early chapters of MIO2 looked a bit yucky, but it was cool that they usedmore than MI1's 16. I've never played CMI, but from what screenshots I've seen, your style is nicer (although I understand the comment of MI1 having more refined use of colour. Having said that: This effort gets a lot of applause from me, please bring it to fruition! And well done so far!

There's just one thingy I've noticed so far (debatable whether this should go in hints & tips or here:)

After having accidentally shot at the fortress 1x and then the 3 boats, and made the gaff, the pirates' remains don't come floeting near the ship - have I mucked up my sequence of actions?)

unforutunatly i cant find anywhere in the code that causes this problem
also i have stopped development on this project so mods can close this
if anyone would like to continue this though you can find the raw files on my blog
thanx for all of the help and support

Darth Mandarb

Sorry to hear it... if you decide to pick it back up let me know and I'll unlock it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk