AGS Graphics Upgrade (Splash/Icon/Banner)

Started by subspark, Sun 09/01/2011 18:50:43

Previous topic - Next topic

subspark

Hey folks,

I created a new suite of graphics for open-source AGS and would like to share them with you here in exchange
for feedback so that I can integrate them into a new revision.

Spent a long time thinking hard over the design, so please let me know if you think any of these new AGS branding
styles fit comfortably with our modern development pipeline:

Update: Okay, so I've reached a point where I wanted to accommodate the best of both previous designs into
a single one that everybody is universally happy with, but also add additional improvements as well.
I've decided to drop the white (because it was washing out the lovely blue of our cup) secondly the black was too...
well...black and I know a lot of you folks weren't too fond of the black PSP look.

So I've taken the design to a place a little closer to home. The blue is subtle enough, but lends itself to the cup and
the common AGS color scheme. Along with this, I've tidied nearly every edge, right down to the pixel and refined the
clarity considerably.

Sure am keen to hear what you guys think.  ;)

The brand new program splash screen:

The actual splash graphic without the dynamic text to be added in Visual Studio:

New Game Wizard update:

Welcome banner:

And again, without the version branding:

Improved "New Game" banner: (8bit BMP)

And finally, the brand new program icon:

If the majority of you wanna go for it, I'll commit the bitmaps to the SVN in place of the originals.

Cheers,
Sparky.

Edit: The actual splash won't have the build number or the date of the copyright embedded in the image.
This data will be drawn as actual text over the splash on launch. I will commit the PSD, also.

Dualnames

1+ subsparky :D

Totally awesome new style mate!
Speaking of, I'd like to see something like that for the forums/website, so if you want to, I think a nice mockup like that, would totally be awesome
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

subspark

Consider it done, mate.
Happy Birthday!

Cheers! ;D

Dualnames

Quote from: subspark on Sun 09/01/2011 19:09:01
Consider it done, mate.
Happy Birthday!

Cheers! ;D

Thanks for the hb sparky  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bearseatbeats

Nice! I like the new style.

One comment, though: The "AGS" on the tea bag label is not very clear. It looks more like ABS (anti-lock brakes?) or A69 (no comment). Maybe using a different font or putting some more space between the letters would be good?
A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a Danish.

subspark

Pumaman

I like these new designs. Both the black and the white versions work for me, but I think we should be consistent so if we go for a white splash screen, we should also make the New Game Wizard based on a white theme too.

Also, could you remove the "3.2" version number from the images, as this is also something that can be drawn on top by the editor, and would save having to keep updating the bitmap for every new release.

For the application icon though, you have to have a few different versions at various different sizes and colour depths to make it work with the various versions of Windows. The current AGS Editor app icon includes 8 different versions, for example, so that it looks good on everything from Windows 98 to Windows 7.

subspark

Quotewe should be consistent
As you can imagine, building awesome graphics that the community will appreciate is largely guesswork. The two versions were options that the community should vote on. (sorry I forgot to make that distinction in the first post.)
What would you like? White or black? - Don't be racist now := ( Actually I would appreciate if you folks could tell me which theme works for which AGS FOr example: I think black theme works for PC and perhaps white for MacOSX or a future Wii port? Each theme will be consistent with the port's entire graphic resource fork)

QuoteAlso, could you remove the "3.2" version number from the images, as this is also something that can be drawn on top by the editor
Yes this was always the case. The 3.2 is a dynamic text field that can be written in Visual Studio 2008 OR possibly an external text file.

Quoteyou have to have a few different versions at various different sizes and colour depths to make it work with the various versions of Windows
Certainly so. The icon was built with with additional formats too. Such as 256x256 alpha imbedded formats. This will be particularly useful on the MacOS X ports of AGS I imagine to happen.

Thanks for your feedback and consideration,
Sparky.

Ryan Timothy B

Out of those two images, the white and black, I prefer the white. It's more suitable for AGS. But if AGS starts turning into a much beefier program with this open sourcing, I can see black being appropriate. The black looks more hardcore while the white looks friendlier.

Now if I were to criticize the overall splash graphic, I don't like the W shaped gradient in the background. It draws my eyes to it and makes me wonder why a W or imprints of buttocks are related to AGS. Perhaps keeping with the top of a circle like the center of the gradient shape is. It could also look like a table, and since there is a mug, I see no reason why the gradient may resemble a table.

And tea instead of coffee? Don't get me started..  :=

Overall it's quite nice.

subspark

Very insightful feedback, Ryan.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I need. Thanks a lot.  ;)

Assuming, no other feedback if offered today, I'll make those changes tomorrow.

Thanks,
Paul.

Knox

I really like the white version the best...I feel the black would fit better if the whole UI was like ZBrush...unless one day AGS's UI colors can be customizable :)

I think Im like Ryan, Id prefer coffee over tea (maybe a UK version has the tea :P)

(and a canadian version with beer or maple syrup)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Ryan Timothy B

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure we don't have blue beer bottles here in Canada. hehe.  Perhaps just a clear bottle with a blue label. :P

On my splash screen I would definitely prefer a beer over a coffee cup. But screw the maple syrup, I never eat the stuff.  ;D

Monsieur OUXX

Those graphics are exactly what AGS needs, they look amazing
(little comment: the tea bag string looks like a zipper (!), and the tag that says "AGS" is obviously hand-drawn, as opposed to the rest that looks vectorial)

The website would indeed also benefit from them.
I suggest you draw a little editing of some cool AGS games sprites, to replace that one :

You could take your inspiration from :

BlueAngel

I like the white one most. If you go for a coffee mug the logo could be on the mug itself. I also think that maybe the "waves" on the "New Game Wizard splash should be behind the mug".
But all the pictures looks great! :)

subspark

White it is guys! Thanks, I'll save the black theme for a future version / port.

Don't worry, you will get your coffee cup back guys; Our famous mascot isn't going anywhere!
Quotethe tag that says "AGS" is obviously hand-drawn
Actually it is a skewed text layer. A rather bad one at that and the entire tea bag will be replaced with something much cooler and in theme with coffee! Spilled coffee beans anyone? I have a knack for making cohesive shapes out of smaller bits that look accidentally spilled. ;D

Agreed there BlueAngel. Will add that to my list.

Cheers and keep the feed a'commin!!
Sparks.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: subspark on Tue 11/01/2011 11:41:10
Spilled coffee beans anyone? I have a knack for making cohesive shapes out of smaller bits that look accidentally spilled. ;D

+1
Can't wait to see that.

EDIT: (just in case you haven't noticed): The cup's handle in the small version is slightly truncated on the right.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looks good.  I actually like the black a bit more because it contrasts so well with the cup.  With the white the cup blends a bit into the surrounding white, which isn't bad, but as it's the icon representing the engine it's nice to see it stand out boldly.

Sam.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

ddq

If you're going to have a coffee cup icon, good luck beating Espresso's:

I do like the new designs, though. Keep it up! I don't mind which color you go with, just as long as it's consistent throughout.

Sam.

AGS has had a coffee cup logo alot longer than Espresso, good luck to THEM.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk