May I ask what you find interesting...?

Started by barefoot, Thu 03/02/2011 20:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

barefoot

Hi

May I ask for my own personal appreciation:

* If you had to list 3 things that make up a good game what would they be?

* What is it about a game that inspires you?

* What do you consider 'off putting' about a game?

* Your Preference: Lucasarts or Sierra or other?

* Mouse or Keyboard controls?

* Anything else you can think of....

Thank you to all those that answer.

cheers

barefoot

I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Ryan Timothy B

First off, this is in the wrong section. It should be in Adventure Related.

-Graphics, User interface, Story, and a 4th would be Gameplay/Puzzles

-Great graphics or animations. Sometimes great programming will drop my jaw, but it's not very often.

-Bad spelling and/or grammar. Once I hear someone saying that a game has bad spelling or grammar, I avoid it no matter what the graphics may look like. I can't enjoy a game that confuses their "Its" with "It's" or "Your" with "You're" etc. It stops me mid sentence like a brick wall.

-Definitely Lucasarts.

-Depends on what kind of game it is. An arcade game will get away with keyboard only controls but an adventure game cannot, unless it's an arcade sequence mid-game or something.

-Get several beta testers and actually listen to them! It's hard to hand over something you feel is a 'completed' project and have people tell you what's wrong with it.

barefoot

Hi

I've moved this from the wrong forum apparantly..

May I ask for my own personal appreciation:

Thank you to all those that answer.

cheers

barefoot

barefoot

Thank you Ryan Timothy

I have put a copy of this is the other forum... as you pointed out to me..

Did you see QI as to the spelling of Grocers Grocer's Grocers' you can use either.. but i catch your drift..

Your points are duly noted and I thank you for taking the time to reply.

barefoot

Ryan Timothy B

You shouldn't have created a new thread, the moderators would have moved it here for you.

Now you have two threads with the same thing. I figured you were in the AGS forums long enough to know which section was the appropriate one, and that the mods will move it for you if it's not. I was just letting you know while I was posting my answers.

barefoot

Too late... must be getting wornout (at 55 you have to make a small allowance)..  sorrys mods.. mind you.. it was about improving.. in my case improving games..

barefoot

Radiant

(1) story, puzzles, music
(2) story, puzzles, music
(3) pixelhunts, unskippable cutscenes, and poor interface
(4) neither
(5) there are no excuses for not enabling both

Baron

These "gamer survey" threads are interesting to read as a developer -it's kind of like market research, albeit anecdotal and from a very self-selected group.  Sure they're often repetitive, but there's always a couple of insightful comments that make you think.
    What would really take it a step further, however, would be a broader survey of adventure gamers.  A database that could tell you that 80% of the Sierra camp hate dialog trees or 98% of the Lucas Arts camp despise mazes (unless in dialog form.... ::) ) could really inform development.  Does anyone know if this has been done and where to find it?

Since I've cluttered up your thread with semi-on-topic musings, I'll finish by answering your questions:

Quote* If you had to list 3 things that make up a good game what would they be?

Atmosphere, plot and puzzles, probably in that order.

Quote* What is it about a game that inspires you?

As a developer?  I'm always kicking myself playing other people's games thinking "Why didn't I think of that!"
In a broader sense, I am inspired by the satisfaction of solving problems and being appropriately rewarded.

Quote* What do you consider 'off putting' about a game?

Unedited material.  I can handle the occasional glitch, but obvious spelling errors or information overload is a real turn-off for me.   

Quote* Your Preference: Lucasarts or Sierra or other?

Sierra, more due to familiarity than because I think their "style" is any better.

Quote* Mouse or Keyboard controls?

Indifferent.

Quote* Anything else you can think of....

Bismark is the capital of North Dakota.  In terms of AGS games, I'm a little put off by the recent surge in graphically awesome projects.  Don't get me wrong, awesome graphics are great (and awesome), but they really eat into productivity.  I remember when (it seemed that) there were two or three new games released every day, but now the culture of quality seems to have really slowed up the release rate.  Too often I'm reading amazing WiP threads started years ago, with no release date in sight.  Many times these games are so awesome they are just abandoned, because they could never be finished to such a degree of quality (given the constraints of freeware or highly risky commercial business models).  Do bear in mind my response to the first question: graphical quality is way down my personal priority list, so I'm biased.  Nevertheless, AGSers,  I say turn down the graphical quality and churn out more games!

barefoot

Nicely put Baron

I think most of us would like to produce cutting edge graphics, somewhat high end like the great commercial cost-a-bomb games.. but alas, some of us mere mortals are not gifted in the world of art or scripting.

But, as you say, maybe our utopia sights should be tailored lower to our own skill and not pushed aside or be ridiculed. Having said that, there has to be a certain quality else it becomes painful to play. If it involves a team then there are no excuses for bad quality. Most of us go it alone though.

This is something that with some help, advice and practice could be greatly improved but it could take some time.... Mind you, its fantastic to have decent graphics but then if you produce low end game play it ruins it. I think you have to find a happy medium that compliments your skills at that time.

When I play other peoples games I sometimes get inspired by the producer's skills and ingenuity in the making of the game, but sometimes producer's make a game where the user is expected to know certain things and it can be completely 'out of the box' which often causes frustration..like the graphics are great, even the story is great but the puzzles are too mind-numbing and somewhat stupid....I've played a few of these..

I remember the very early 90's  CnP games on the large floppy disks..

I think cultural differences also make a difference as to how people see and play a game.

Grammar errors, well, I suppose we should use a dictionary.. Maybe AGS should incorporate a kind of spell checker of some kind?

I can overlook 1 or 2 errors, especially if its been written by someone from another country....

All in all I'de say produce games provided they are of a certain level and are playable and hope that your god gives you the talent to improve with time..

Viva la AGS

barefoot

barefoot

WHAM

1: A gameplay mechanic or quirk to set it apart.
2: Interesting and credible story that does not start off too slow (players will lose interest)
3: Immersion, ie: the events and things of the game should feel like they belong in the game's world

A good character and story design, clever use of sound (music, SFX and voice acting), clever use of gameplay mechanics, immersion

Illogical puzzles, lack of immersion, horrendous graphics (simple is good, detailed is good, detailed but poorly drawn and cluttered = horrendous), a story that starts off too slow or ends without any closure, unskippable tutorials, games that need tutorials (give basic controls in manual, have player lear by doing!), unskippable cutscenes (especially with voices / music), too easy, too hard (some like games easy, a selectable difficulty level is good).

Lucasarts

Mouse & keyboard are ok. It might be a good idea to mix them up a bit (I intend to do this in the future)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Monsieur OUXX

I'm merging the "off-putting things" question and the "Lucasarts or Sierra" question: It's not only about the interface, the universe, etc. It's also that in Sierra games you can die, and there are timed events. I hate both. Some like them. It's a big part of your game design choice.

ThreeOhFour

- Firstly, memorable moments. I want a puzzle, scene, animation or dialogue exchange that will stick in my mind and others' minds that I can discuss with them, be inspired by and fondly recall years later. Secondly, I don't want an interface or controls that frustrates me when playing. You might have the best gameplay ideas ever, but if I am so distracted by having to cycle through 9 cursors or don't have a hotspot indicator to find them, or your character walks really slowly, I'm not going to be patient enough to see them through. Last, I'd go with building your scenes to catch my attention, with graphics that fit the mood (not necessarily the best graphics ever, as long as they're consistent), responses to looking and using that fit the character I am meant to be playing and that sort of thing.

- Daring to do something different to the norm, or doing something I've seen before particularly well. Uniqueness and superb quality are the two things I find most inspiring.

- If it's hard to play, if I can tell someone hasn't really put much effort in, if the characters aren't interesting or speak too much, if you make me work on each puzzle for 15 minutes without any story progression after solving it...

- Other. I prefer LucasArts to Sierra, but I think an interface should be designed to fit your specific game idea, not done that way because ____ did it that way 20 years ago.

- Doesn't matter. As long as controls are intuitive, either is good.

- Anything else? Yeah. My opinions on what makes games good change all the time, so in 3 months I'll completely disagree with everything I just wrote  := Also, why are you so interested in people's answers? Indie game design (particularly freeware) is a very personal thing, you're not trying to appeal to a certain market in order to make money. What allows us to be so creative in indie games is that we don't need to care what other people think of what we make, as long as we're satisfying our creative desires. And, no matter how against the grain of what I like something can be, if it's done *well*, I'll still play the hell out of it, and afterwards go back and question my philosophies, because if I enjoy something that I didn't think I would, I've clearly found that there's more to good game design than I initially though  :D

barefoot

Man of few words then..   :o

Thanks for your comments Lamp-Post304

Also, why are you so interested in people's answers?

The way to self improve is to listen to people that have achieved something you are aiming for yourself... and of course other gamers to see what turns their key game playing wise.. and build on that..

You yourself have made quite a few games, so i guess you must have learnt a bit  :=

why do major companies still do surveys????

cheers

barefoot

mode7

1. Atmosphere, Story, Puzzles - in this order
2. Atmosphere and Pacing (meaning how the game evolves and how everything works together to drive the story)
3. Annoying Interfaces, confusing puzzles and not having clear goals.
4. Lucasarts - I think you shouldn't be able to die in adventure games and if you do it should be clearly your fault
5. It depends of the complexity of the puzzles. I think keyboard controls give a better sense of immersion.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: barefoot on Fri 04/02/2011 19:05:13
why do major companies still do surveys????

Because they are interested in what people think, because these people are their potential customers, and they wish to sell more of their product or service than they currently do, because this is seen as an important measure of success  :=

And yes, I learn a lot with every project I work on.

Stupot

Good story
          Good puzzles
          Innovation - I'm a sucker for games that do something new or interesting with the code.

Its release - This is a major achievment in itself, and when ever a new AGS game is released I feel a little bit more inspired to work on my own ideas... clearly not enough to get me to pull my finger out though

When I have to wait too long for a character to walk from one side of a screen to the other... especially if there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between scenes.  I think all games should have, as standard, either: a) double click to run, or b) go straight into the next screen after clicking on the door.

Lucas - To be entirely honest, I don't really get on very well with Sierra games.

Either, as long as it's appropriate for the particular game.  I don't want to be forced to use a keyboard if a mouse would make things ten times easier.

* Anything else you can think of....  Not for the moment.  I'll have a little think :-)

barefoot

Thank you Stupot

all taken into account...

I'ts good to hear how others view game playing. 

Maybe you will take the plunge one day and decide to complete a game, its about getting your feet wet and taking any flack but keeping a stiff upper lip and progressing.

I myself have played many games where the interface is clogged and confusion with an assortment of cursors and stuff, greatly drawn and scripted but a bit OTT or has puzzles completely scewwhiff....

Thank you Lamp-Post304 for your added comment.. It's about knowing what most people want and like.. and adapting as such...Simples...

I agree about producing something different as opposed to same old same old.. but then we have to know the basics first, don't we? Mind you, same old same old is good if it's done right (my thoughts)..

I kind of like the old style early 90's pc games, they had a certain appeal... Like the very first manic mansion....( on rather large floppy  := )

This Topic was raised because I wanted to know what other people think regarding playing games, especially AGS... and I appreciate all your comments....

cheers
barefoot

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Moved this to adventure talk.  Mods will have to merge it in with the new post. 

You really shouldn't just start multiple threads with the same question.

Charity

Nothing like a survey, every now and again.

1. Perhaps the word is "atmosphere," but I really mean the holistic experience of the game--how well the parts jive.  There's no one thing in a game which will automatically make me stop playing due to its absence (including "gameplay" though at that point perhaps "game" becomes the wrong word).  But are the elements present enhancing the experience in a complimentary way?  Are there elements whose absence truly is detracting?  This means gameplay and interface and story and visuals, and sound, coherence of the game world, characters, humor.
2. More specifically, most of my favorite games have been story games.  If a game can tell a moving or thought provoking story, I am generally happy, even if some other elements fall short.  Bonus points, of course, if the story is able to use the medium to its benefit.  This often tends to happen through the introduction of non-linear elements, which actually tend to irk me, though these are certainly intriguing in their own right.  I like it when the story has the nerve to assert itself over the game, but uses the interactive elements to help involve the player.
3. Close related to number one is the general "fun factor."  If #1 describes the artistic integrity of the game, some games can be a complete mess with an absolutely wretched story, if any, and still manage to be fantastically enjoyable.  And it is entirely possible to make a game with a great story, and a level of depth and consistency that works perfectly, but still manages to be rather boring.  This is in much the same way that we have great literature, and then we have books that are fun to read, but there is no guarantee that one will ensure the other.

See above, really.  I think really that inspiring things are often unanticipated, so it could be anything, really.  Make me think, or make me feel something.  Music and story are big, though.  Visuals, too.  Gameplay can do it in art-games, sometimes, or if it's really innovative.

The story.  Especially the writing.  It's really hard to find good stories in games.  A lot of the best game stories would make decent B-movies and so-so genre fiction.  Adventure Games and JRPGs have set themselves up as the two great linear storytelling genres, but the more I replay my old favorites, the more I think the potential is wasted.  This is true of both commercial and amateur games.  It's unfortunate, if understandable.  It is, in fact, rather difficult to write a good story, and the constraints of the game medium only make things worse.  I think people also expect less from game stories, so writers know they can get away with more.  Over-reliance on tropes, plotholes, unbelievable dialog and situation, etc.
If I can't win without stellar reflexes, which I don't have, then that is also a no go.
Too much slowness or finnickiness of controls/movement.  Slow text that can't be skipped.
Too much open endedness is fun, but leads to existential angst.

I'm in the do what works camp.  VinceTwelve has sold me on the idea that LucasArts and Sierra both have rather clunky and redundant systems, though honestly I'm used to both well enough that they don't get in the way of my enjoyment.  I'm not sold on the one-click system, though.  Text-input is intriguing in small doses.  Right now I'm interested in context menus and keyboard/gamepad controls.  Tailor the gameplay to the controls and vice versa, and I'll be happy.
With regard to dying--Not too many shocks or surprises, and keep time limits reasonable.  Autosaves are a reasonable compromise.  If I need to save often, make sure I know that.  I think a quick-save key would be a good addition to more games.  Been loving that feature in Deus Ex.
Sometimes I actually like a penalty for dying.  I think I'm too used to being able to save anywhere, but the way they make savepoints in a lot of console games seems like a good way to go, although I advocate having some way of at least temporarily saving progress for people who have to leave in a hurry.

When there are mouse controls I feel like I am telling the character what to do.  Is this more "cerebral"?  Keyboard controls put me inside the character more.  Are we playing a game about bodies or a game about minds?

I'm with the camp that says that amateur developers should make what they want to make.  You probably aren't going to be famous.  If you are really lucky you will get internet famous.  But odds are if you like what you are doing, and you make it to your own satisfaction, someone else will like it too, and you'll get more out of the project if you make it for yourself and the people that think like you than if you make it for the lowest common denominator.

But of course advice is good too, so this isn't really a criticism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk