Sprite file size and .rar size

Started by WHAM, Fri 11/02/2011 11:52:36

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was unsure if I should bring up a zombie thread, so I'm taking the risk and staring a new one.

I'm making a small game for the on-going MAGS and I came across an oddity.

> My game files, when compiled, are almost 160 MB!!!
The reason seems to be the sprite file, although the images themselves (all .png files, most with alpha channel) are less than 6 MB before they are imported into AGS.

When I use winrar to pack the game, the whole thing becomes less than 1MB (that's right, from 160MB to 1MB).

Is this normal and is there anything I could/should do to reduce file size?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Calin Leafshade

enable sprite compression in the general settings of your game.

By default AGS stores sprites completely uncompressed which can make them *huge*

the compression is lossless though just like png compression.

WHAM

I read in the old thread about sprite compression. I enabled it and rebuilt all game files, but there was no effect. Do I need to do something else to activate it?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Calin Leafshade

in the older versions of the editor (pre-3.2 i think) you had to add a new sprite and *then* recompile to get it to take effect.

WHAM

Finally got home from work and tried this. Yes, adding a new sprite worked and the graphics file is now back to about 5MB.

Thank Calin!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk