Disappearing Text in Firefox 4

Started by Babar, Sat 26/03/2011 15:46:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

I googled around a bit, and perhaps because I don't know what words exactly to search with, I've not been able to find a solution to this problem, so I was hoping the good people of AGS could help me.

Ever since I upgraded to Firefox 4, I've been having issues with text disappearing.
Facebook and Hotmail are 2 sites where this is fairly consistent. The text disappears (or loads invisible), and then with mouseovering or scrolling the text reappears, but then after a bit, it disappears again.

Hotmail is the same- I can't see any of my mail. The problem even pops up (but much more rarely) on these forums, but disappears with a little scrolling or with refreshing.

From some vague information off one of the few places I could find where someone mentioned having a similar problem, apparently, some issue with the css in those pages/sites is to blame?
Does anyone know how to fix it?

PS: And yeah, hahah, but please, suggesting "Switch to Chrome!" or "Switch to Opera" is not really helpful :P
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Darth Mandarb

I experienced an issue with the FF myself.  The javascript alert box has been updated but in my version of Firefox it doesn't work properly.  It's just a plain looking box.  My google searches returned as little success as yours seem to have (though I was able to learn some people were fixing the issue by reverting to the default "theme" ... I am not using a theme though)

I haven't had the missing text issue but I have noticed, on these forums, that the normal size text is appearing smaller ... normally, in the past, I would hit CTRL-0 (zero) and it would correct the text size but that has no effect in Firefox 4.

I fear it was released with some bugs ... but even if it had 10 times as many issues it would still be 100 times better than IE.

I do use Chrome most of the time now (posting this from Chrome) but I've had some issues with it too.

Sslaxx

I had something quite odd happen with Firefox 4 when I was looking through the Mocha Doom website - the text would alternate between white and yellow at random. No vanishing text yet, though.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Babar

How odd. I'm not using a theme either, though....

Darth Mandarb

I suspect these are issues with the new standards FF4 adopted (HTML5/CSS3) conflicting with some site's CSS.

I'm not sure though. 

The folks behind Firefox are [usually] pretty darn fast/good about updating these kinds of bugs so I'm sure it's just temporary. 

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say something about them knowing of these bugs but releasing anyway 'cause IE9 just launched.

** goes and gets tin foil cap **

LimpingFish

I'm using FF4 since yesterday. Not really feeling it yet. They changed the order of "Open Link in New Tab" and "Open Link in New Window" in the right-click menu, so I'm constantly opening links in new windows. >:(

Other than that...seems okay. Doesn't feel any faster, though, despite their claims.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 26/03/2011 23:38:28Doesn't feel any faster, though, despite their claims.
Yeah it's one of my favorite things about this kind of thing "and faster than ever!" only they're talking in milliseconds which nobody but a computer could detect.

nihilyst

For me it feels faster than ever. Big improvement!

But I, too, have that flickering text problem.

m0ds

Not having an issue with text, but new tab is not working for me nor is pressing the Plus sign on the tab. Weird. It was working earlier.

Babar

I'm glad to know that the problem isn't as rare as I thought it was. I hope they fix it quick.

And yeah, that switching about of the New Tab and New Window sorta irritated me as well, but Al Ninio told me something I hadn't known before: you can open a link in a new tab by clicking it with the middle mouse button, which while it's still taking time for me to get used to, is definitely faster than 2 clicks.

m0ds

Quote from: Babar on Sun 27/03/2011 09:41:44
I'm glad to know that the problem is as rare as I thought it was. I hope they fix it quick.

And yeah, that switching about of the New Tab and New Window sorta irritated me as well, but Al Ninio told me something I hadn't known before: you can open a link in a new tab by clicking it with the middle mouse button, which while it's still taking time for me to get used to, is definitely faster than 2 clicks.

Thanks! You learn something every day :)

Edit: Oh, it appeared my problem was with v 3.6, even though it had said it had downloaded 4 a day or two ago. Anyway I downloaded 4 properly and it seems to be working fine. But I agree, there are some niggly little annoyances popping up, but yes just things to get used to I guess.

Also: Woohoo! It's stopped Hotmail freezing up with stupid scripts, too! At least :D

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 26/03/2011 23:38:28
They changed the order of "Open Link in New Tab" and "Open Link in New Window" in the right-click menu, so I'm constantly opening links in new windows. >:(
Annoying as hell :( Hopefully I will get used to it in a few days. It's really a good decision since most people open links in new tabs and it makes sense to have it be the first entry in the menu; if only they hadn't made the bad decision earlier so that now everyone is used to the not-so-optimal order...

And I also didn't know about the middle mouse button, I usually use CTRL + left button. Since my middle button is the mousewheel, I think I might often accidentially scroll away from the link I want to open.

As of speed: For me, the most annoying is the startup time until I can actually use it, and the time it needs to suggest a url when I type into the address bar (I usually only type in one or two letters and the first suggestion is the site I want, e.g. "a" gives me the AGS forums). It's probably because I save the browser history for 90 days or so, and have a lot of bookmarks, often with tags to find it easily, so there is much to search, but I blame FF for heaving some inefficient database behind the history/bookmarks system.
And the second annoying thing is that when one site takes long to load, all other tabs are blocked, too. Hasn't changed with FF4 as far as I can tell for now.

Khris

I tried the beta a couple of weeks back and was disappointed. I don't remember exactly what my main complaints were, suffice to say I was so annoyed that I closed it and opened 3.X just to go to the feedback site (which didn't work).

Another helpful tidbit for the people who just discovered the middle mouse click :=:

You can remove entries from the address bar suggestions by moving the mouse over them and pressing delete.

Moresco

It took me many addons to make Firefox 4 not completely suck.  But so far, it's more trouble than its worth...I'll stick with Chrome, it now has addon solutions for just about everything I had on Firefox, except for Firebug, which is basically already built into Chrome....so I wouldn't need it.

By the way, you can fix the open in new tab/window menu problem with this addon:
http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/menu-editor/
::: Mastodon :::

TomatoesInTheHead

Anything new on the original issue of the thread? Babar, could you fix it?

Until now, I've noticed the problem in this forum only.

After some scrolling and mouse moving (links appear on mouseover):

If I highlight the text, it appears.

This thread here is the first result on the issue in Google, and in other forums, threads on this problem didn't get any helpful replies...

Babar

No, TITH. I have the exact same issue, as you describe it, and yes, googling for it has this thread right on the top :(. I was wondering if there were some other keywords to search for it with, but I can't think of any.

Patience with the issue hasn't worked out in this case :(.

arj0n

4.0b7 and up should solve it.
I'm using 4.0.1 and having no such issues.

monkey0506

What's funny is that I've pretty much been using FF4 since some of the earliest betas and never experienced any of this awesomeness. I feel left out.. >:(

In any case, I was considering subscribing myself to Chrome, but it screws up a lot of things for me. For example, when I use a font-size of 1 (in these forums with the size tag) in every non-Chrome browser (including IE) I get a smaller than normal font. Chrome displays it about 3 or 4 times larger than normal.

The Google Voice website is nearly unusable (for me) in Chrome. All of the links load halfway on top of each other. And it's not just the GV site, a lot (and I mean a lot) of sites have the problem of line-spacing somehow getting totally screwed up and lines overlapping each other, making a lot of sites unreadable without copying the text into Notepad or something.

I'm sure there was probably one or two other things, but they don't come to mind at the moment. Oh, and the issues I described are also not based on a singular system. I have the exact same results on both my roommate's desktop and their laptop. Both systems are running Windows 7 if that somehow makes a difference.

In any case, this is all a bit off-topic I guess, but it does have to do with how different web browsers can display the exact same content in completely different ways. It's horrible and I hate it.

I do still love Firefox though. :)

TomatoesInTheHead

I think I might have found the (or a) reason for the glitch with disappearing text:

If I turn on the "Windows Presentation Foundation" plug-in (version 3.5.30729.1, seems to be the latest. Also, I'm using the latest FF 4.0.1), the text immediately disappears, if I turn it off, everything seems to work fine.

I don't know where and for what I had to install this WPF plugin, hopefully I'll never need it again, seems to be only another security risk anyway.

--

I've not encountered any display problems with Chrome though, but I haven't used it much, only occassionally when something didn't work in FF or when I wanted to compare the speed on a particular web app.
But it's strange that there are problems with a Google owned site (can't use Google Voice in my country, unfortunately, I'd love to try it out), I would have expected Google to go for 150% compatibility with their own sites and only then looking at problems with other (non-major) sites...

Babar

I will be heading back to my home computer in a bit (I also had the latest Firefox, I believe, so I don't think that could be it), and if your solution works, TITH, I'm going to love you forever. I also saw "Windows Presentation Foundation" in my plug-ins a while back, and didn't have any idea what it was for.

EDIT: I removed Windows Presentation Foundation, as well as disabled half a dozen other plug-ins and extensions that I didn't know why were there, but it didn't really work :(. It may possibly have improved a bit, but the issue is not gone. Plus, I'm on 4.01 already.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk