Reality-On-The-Norm: The Affair of the Weirdo, a new RoN Game

Started by helios123, Mon 28/03/2011 20:59:44

Previous topic - Next topic

helios123

Hello Everybody,

Finally, my first RON (and AGS) game is complete. This is a short game with Max Griff as the player character.

The game is set in the years 2010-2011, so I don't think there will be any continuity issues.

The storyline is as below:

One fine day in February 2011, the Town Weirdo comes to Max Griff's office claiming that he is being spied upon. Max, thinking it to be another one of the town weirdo's multiple personalities acting itself out, does not take it seriously.

The weirdo is attacked shortly afterwards. Circumstances force Max to take up the weirdo's case and as the investigation progresses, Max learns that things are not what they seem to be...

The puzzles are pretty simple and should not be much of a problem (Hopefully, my puzzle making skills will improve with time).

Though I have tested the game a few times, it is quite possible that some bugs, UI issues, etc. might have escaped my notice. Please take some time to play the game and let me know about bugs, if any. Also, if possible, please let me know whether I have got the characters right (by this I mean their style of talking), so that I may not make the same mistakes in any future RON games I make.

If all is well, then I will email the Powers That Be to upload my game on the RON website.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are always welcome.

You can download the game here.

Note: Since I work on this game in my spare time, it may be some time before I am able to release an update. Also, as I am not online everyday, there may be some delays in replying to your mails/queries.
That's all for now,
helios123

Kweepa

Hooray! A RotN game! Thanks!

My main beef so far is the walk speed of Max is way too slow, particularly in the town square. It takes forever to get to the map from the back alley. When I wrote a RotN game, I made Mika walk faster and faster in the town square as the game progressed.

Otherwise, looks nice so far!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

helios123

Quote from: Kweepa on Tue 29/03/2011 00:29:06
My main beef so far is the walk speed of Max is way too slow, particularly in the town square. It takes forever to get to the map from the back alley. When I wrote a RotN game, I made Mika walk faster and faster in the town square as the game progressed.

Thanks for the feedback. I will update the script to give Max a faster walk speed when he is in the town square.
By the way, you can also walk off the bottom edge to reach the map from the town square.
That's all for now,
helios123

Renegade Implementor

Great stuff.  Had a look and enjoyed it.  I'll pm you soon with a couple of things I noticed that will need bug-zapping.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Kind of weird...On day 2 after the Baron's big cutscene with Malone it goes to day 3 and Max is invisible in his office and going back to the Baron's repeats the cutscene again.  Should the game have ended there?

Ponch

helios123

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 30/03/2011 06:22:20
Kind of weird...On day 2 after the Baron's big cutscene with Malone it goes to day 3 and Max is invisible in his office and going back to the Baron's repeats the cutscene again.  Should the game have ended there?

Thanks. I will look into it.

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Tue 29/03/2011 19:42:40
Great stuff.  Had a look and enjoyed it.  I'll pm you soon with a couple of things I noticed that will need bug-zapping.

Thanks.
That's all for now,
helios123

helios123

RI has sent me a list of bugs. I am working on them. I will probably release an update in the next one-two days.
That's all for now,
helios123

Dave Gilbert

Put me on the "Max moves too slow" bandwagon.  I really am enjoying the game, though!  Between this and Creed's game, it's like old times.

helios123

Hi all,

I have released a new updated version. The following changes have been made:

• Max now walks faster in the town square.
  • Slight change in dialogue with Phil.
  • The Yahtzeebrand puzzle has been modified slightly.
  • Fixed a bug which led to Max being stuck between his Office and Manor.
  • Fixed a bug in dialogue between Max and Tijn.
  • Some other bug fixes which were pointed out in the forum.
  • Krysis style sprites for Punk Allen and Baron Wolfgang (provided by Renegade Implementor).

For download link see the first post, or click here.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are always welcome.
That's all for now,
helios123

Valentijn

Really enjoyed this one! I admired how you tapped into earlier RON-games while introducing a new story and setting up new plot points for future games. The characterisations were right on the mark, the atmosphere & humor brought back many memories of RON's glory days - I hope to see more games like this in the future!

Thank you for using some of the things I introduced in my game 'Defender of RON' and using them so well (in my opinion), like Phil's superpowers - while at the same time finding a clever way to return him to his Nihilism roots!

(Playing through this made me miss working with those guys, makes me wonder...)

CosmoQueen

I really do love RON games. I've been following them for so many years now and each new one gets better and better. In this one the graphics are so clean and polished. I love them!!! But if you don't mind me saying, the only thing that's missing from this is that crazy quirky humor that the RON games usually have. Would've liked to see more of that.

But still, it was awesome!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

azerty

Spoiler
I must look through the "Hole in the wall" from the left/west side of the fence. I tried to look at it from many positions, but i always get "You are too far away to do that."

Anyone has a precise procedure to be able to do that?

Thanks.
[close]

btw "Hole in the wall" should be "Hole in the fence".

helios123

Quote from: azerty on Sat 31/12/2011 22:47:39
Spoiler
I must look through the "Hole in the wall" from the left/west side of the fence. I tried to look at it from many positions, but i always get "You are too far away to do that."

Anyone has a precise procedure to be able to do that?

Thanks.
[close]

btw "Hole in the wall" should be "Hole in the fence".

Spoiler

You have to be on the right side of the fence to do that.
[close]
That's all for now,
helios123

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk