Pac Man Ghosts

Started by Snakette, Thu 21/04/2011 00:59:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Snakette

Hello Everyone.  Snakie and I are having a rather serious discussion about the Ghosts in Pac Man Atari 2600.  So, as some of you may or may not know, I am seven years older than your pal, Snake.  I remember vividly sitting on my bedroom floor in front of my black and white tv playing Pac Man with ONE ghost.  It was an option of one, two or three ghosts and four was the default.  Please someone remember this as well.  It would be better than having to apologize to him.   :-[

--Snakette
"Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else."

Darth Mandarb

The 'only one ghost' thing is wringing a bell ... however I think I only played it with 4 (even though I'm sure the option was available).  Wasn't it a 'difficulty' setting type thing?

More than anything I remember the sound effects.  Sometimes when/if I get really tanked I start seeing/hearing things from my childhood and the sound effects from Pacman are always in there (I have no idea why this phenomenon occurs).  I used to turn up the TV really loud and just stare the marvelous graphics... I'd play pacman (and Pitfall and Donkey Kong) for hours sitting on the carpet in front of the tv (wasn't black and white though ... you've got me beat there)!

Ahhhh memories.

(welcome to the forums Mrs. Snake :))

Snakette

Aaaaah vindication!  Thank you Darth for partial confirmation of my memory before I started smoking anything not yet taxed by the government.   ;)  This whole conversation came to be because I showed him a site about creating your own maze and he started playing that last nite... well by tonite he had the chair pulled up in front of the tv playing a handheld little Ms. Pac Man TV games.  I chose not to play since I couldn't make it less difficult ie, one ghost.  He thought I was nuts.  I too loved Pitfall, watching him fall was a favorite pastime of mine, as I was better at that than actually getting him over the stupid hole.  I'm not much of a gamer, obviously, although I enjoy other people's enjoyment!  Thanks again and I am happy to be an official member  :)
"Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else."

Peder 🚀

Could it just be the fact that this port of the game actually only show 1 ghost at the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2p2ANFlQ4

Scarab

I just booted this up on the ol' 2600 emulator to see if you could change the number of ghosts at all, and there only seems to be 7 difficulty settings, each with 1 player or 2 player option.

One thing I noticed though, is that at some difficulty levels, as many as all of the ghosts can follow the same path for a significant amount of time, making it seem, at times, like there are only one, two or three of them.

Possibly this phenomenon was occurring?

Snakette

Uh, I tried the utube video and that didn't release any memories, I thank you for your help!  I don't know Scarab I know I played one person more than the two person option.  Is there any chance it was Ms. PacMan?  God, getting old sucks.  I'm not giving up yet!!

Scarab

Quote from: Snakette on Thu 21/04/2011 22:57:33
Uh, I tried the youtube video and that didn't release any memories, I thank you for your help!  I don't know Scarab I know I played one person more than the two person option.  Is there any chance it was Ms. PacMan?  God, getting old sucks.  I'm not giving up yet!!

Just tried it out... In Ms. PacMan you are able to change the number of ghosts. :)
Explained here.

Snakette

Scarab -- You have brought tears to my eyes and a gigantic grin to my face!  I am not only enjoying the gloat, I am now convinced I am not going nearly as crazy as I thought!!  This is a GREAT nite!  Thank you Thank You Thank YOU!!  Happy Easter to all!  What a wonderful welcome! 

-- Snakette :D

Snake

I would just like to clarify that at the time of the discussion, she thought it was Pac Man, not MS Pac Man ;)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ponch

Quote from: Snake on Sun 24/04/2011 04:30:31
I would just like to clarify that at the time of the discussion, she thought it was Pac Man, not MS Pac Man ;)

Now, now, Snake. As a married man, you should know that either you can be wrong, or you can both be wrong. But she can never be wrong all by herself. That's just not how it's done. ;)

Darth Mandarb

I let Tarah (girlfriend) win/have the small stuff ... that way, when it's a big deal and I stand my ground she knows I'm serious and I [still almost never] get my way.

Ponch

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sun 24/04/2011 05:17:33
I let Tarah (girlfriend) win/have the small stuff ... that way, when it's a big deal and I stand my ground she knows I'm serious and I [still almost never] get my way.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed!

Snakette

At the time of the discussion, Snake, you should have known that in my mind they are interchangeable and just gone with that I was RIGHT!!  Bwahahahahah! ;)

Snakette

This was my perfect Mother's Day present!  Snake did good and found me an original Ms. Pac Man for Mother's Day!!  I have played with one ghost of course and did respectable with a high score of over 150,000!  What's even better is that our 4 year old Sammie is playing and her high score is over 4600!  She is loving it which is even more fun than me beating Snake, which I did  :D  ... Here are pics:

\\--EDIT--//
Hello, this is Snake... she forgot I was going to post the pics! GAH!
Showcasing Ms. Pac-Man is our lovely daughter, Samantha ("Sampson Hinkleberry", as I call her), playing with one ghost. She also loves to play with all four ghosts! YAY!

Ponch

Raising your kid to love the Atari. I salute you, sir!  :D

Snake

LOL! You bastard!
I'm responding to you right now in Khris' "20th, 21th & 22th May" thread!

XD

PS
And yes, she can't be growing up thinking that video games were shit before the XBOX arrived...

\\--EDIT--//
My goal is to make sure she appreciates games from the past. When she gets a bit older, on to ADVENTURE GAMES!

Ponch

Quote from: Snake on Mon 23/05/2011 01:50:45
My goal is to make sure she appreciates games from the past. When she gets a bit older, on to ADVENTURE GAMES!

Saving Barn Runner for the cherry on top? Good thinking!  ;)

Hudders

Quote from: Snakette on Mon 23/05/2011 00:22:35
our lovely daughter, Samantha ("Sampson Hinkleberry", as I call her)

"Snakelet", surely?

Snake

Quote from: Hudders on Mon 23/05/2011 14:03:46
Quote from: Snakette on Mon 23/05/2011 00:22:35
our lovely daughter, Samantha ("Sampson Hinkleberry", as I call her)

"Snakelet", surely?

Sometimes it's, "Snake Egg"

Dualnames

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 23/05/2011 03:11:03
Quote from: Snake on Mon 23/05/2011 01:50:45

Saving Barn Runner for the cherry on top? Good thinking!  ;)

The first thing I'm gonna do to my kids is teach them the BARN RUNNER BIBLE 10 COMMANDMENTS.

1. Thou shall not be a prick, unless you be prick peckard
2. Thou shall first shoot a robot and then ask.
3. Thou shall not wear nothing but 16bit shirts
4. Thou shall not climb a ladder near CHUDS
5. Thou shall not drive carefully under any circumstance.
6. Thou shall not trust women with small boobs, the rest is acceptable
7. Thou shall not ever attempt to like elevator music.
8. Thou shall not file a proper report or take care of other people's property and safety.
9. Thou shall NOT ASK WHAT TIME IT IS. CAUSE IT'S FRIDAY 5:01.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk