Arden's Vale - v1.1 Released!

Started by antipus, Fri 19/08/2011 08:43:45

Previous topic - Next topic

antipus

Arden's Vale

Short-length Original Fantasy Adventure

Riel must embark on a dangerous quest to save her sister, who is on the brink of death, by stealing a magic stone with healing powers from an evil enchanter.  After infiltrating the enchanter's castle, you must survive sinister traps, talking gargoyles, quite nearly logical puzzles, terrible puns, and finally the enchanter himself in order to get the stone and save your sister.

Game Features:

Really cool heroine.  Meaning your player character.
Programmed responses for clicking just about anything just about anywhere.
Multiple solutions to over half of the puzzles!
Auto-updating in-game hint system that is accessed when you talk to yourself.
Hotspot identifier: all objects that are clickable have their names appear alongside the mouse.  No more looking at the top or bottom of the screen to figure out what's in the middle!
Tongue-in-cheek references to the best adventure games, including some from AGS!
Sweet, sweet animation.
Pretty darn sweet backgrounds.
Gorgeous orchestral music.
Retro sound effects.
A whole lotta love.

Version 1.1 (Released Oct. 7, 2011) has a bunch of enhancements, from improved animations, to new music, to an additional way to end the game!  Enjoy!

Click here for the main page and access to the free download.
Playing Arden's Vale has been shown to improve morale, revive unconscious kittens, and reverse hair loss.

arj0n

Awesome news to see this *gem* has been released. Gratz Morgan (and Sorina)!!  ;)
It was such pleasure testing this.

Quote from: antipus on Fri 19/08/2011 08:43:45
Tongue-in-cheek references to the best adventure games, including some from AGS!
Which makes your game even more funny.

EDIT:
Lovely intro b.t.w.
Now I need to play through again to see the new ending  :)

CaptainD

Great, I've been looking forward to this one.  ;D

Bogdan

I've played it and it was a great experience. There is one part where I was stuck
Spoiler
I couldn't find the fake beard, but after like 20 minutes of searching I found it.
[close]
and one more things I don't understand...
Spoiler
this guy that is a doctor, isn't a doctor. he is an enchanter or something too?
[close]
But I guess that is a thing that makes this game mysterious. :D
I was trying to say it is a really good game, and fun, and not hard(but not easy either).

Frodo

Great to see this has been released.  Well done Antipus.   ;D

I loved playtesting it.   :D

And love the new intro, btw.   ;D

arj0n

Quote from: Bogdan on Fri 19/08/2011 11:23:53
and one more things I don't understand...
Spoiler
this guy that is a doctor, isn't a doctor. he is an enchanter or something too?
[close]
But I guess that is a thing that makes this game mysterious. :D

An explanation:
Spoiler

If you mean the guy in the intro, he is the doctor of Arden.
This doctor knowns a person who has a certain object in his possession that is needed to cure Riel's sister.
This person lives in a protected castle and is the enchanter.
It's up to Riel to get inside that castle, obtain this mysterious object and get back to her sister with that object in order to heal her.
[close]

Bogdan

@Arj0n:
Spoiler
Yeah, I know that, I played the game. I meant to say at the end of the game the doctor takes of his ring and changes his appearance. So he is not a doctor.
[close]

arj0n

Quote from: Bogdan on Fri 19/08/2011 12:18:37
@Arj0n:
Spoiler
Yeah, I know that, I played the game. I meant to say at the end of the game the doctor takes of his ring and changes his appearance. So he is not a doctor.
[close]
Ah OK. Sorry. I haven't seen the new ending yet...

EDIT:
Now I have seen it. And indeed, that doctor
Spoiler
seems not to be a normal person too. Not sure what he is exactly though...no intro or in-game clues are given concerning this guy.... Maybe it's the enchanters brother?
[close]

agentbauer

Awesome, download it now
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

Zenger

:o :o Excellent work!!!, I love it, congratulations  ;D

The intro and the ending are really really beautifull and wrap the game very well, amazing work  ;D

regards

pmartin

FInished it. It was quite fun and easy. In a good way. It's not frustrating, and yet challenging.

Just wanted to say, though, that I think the Intro and ending didn't quite fit the tone of the game. :l
Spoiler
The beard was the easiest part for me.  ::) I don't know.
[close]

and about the ending:

Spoiler
And I didn't quite get the ending too, but I assumed he just wanted the rock for some personal reasons and used Riel to get it.
[close]

Good game. Congratulations, Antipus.

Anian

Oh, is the ending:
Spoiler
that doctor who was on the portrait, the duke?
[close]
Btw doctor kind of feels weird in a fantasy game, doesn't he, he's also dressed diffrently, sort of "modern". Okay, so the intro didn't really wow me into the style of the game, but the humor anatmosphere did the trick and I enjoyed it. On the other hand the puzzle
Spoiler
with the cabinet locked
[close]
just...I really just didn't get it, I read the explanation, but I really didn't get why something was happening when I pressed something...then again, I'm pretty slow today so that might be it (still you made it playable even for dopes such as myself, so thank you).

Nice game.

P.S. not to forget, the deaths were very fun and I really liked that you basically had to wish to die to find out how it looks instead of instakills
I don't want the world, I just want your half

arj0n

@Anian: about the ending, that could be it indeed...

@pmartin: about that puzzle, did you also try
Spoiler
the other way to solve it? there are 2 ways to solve this puzzle...
[close]

hansolo1970

antipus very good work done ...
the intro is very well done...
the hole environment  and the characters are very nice work done

i started playing it and it is very enjoyable .....

i was always a big Kings Quest fan....

i hope you continue making   more games in the future

i was  waiting for Kings Quest 4 vga remake by Magic Mirror Games
but i think is is abandoned 

congratulations again !

arj0n

Quote from: hansolo1970 on Fri 19/08/2011 14:01:58
i was  waiting for Kings Quest 4 vga remake by Magic Mirror Games
but i think is is abandoned
It's not abandoned (but progress goes very slow)...

antipus

Thanks to all who have played the game so far!  Glad you've enjoyed it!

There have been a few comments about the mysterious doctor, so here's half an explanation:

Spoiler
In the introduction, the doctor is playing "two truths and a lie"  He knows what's wrong with Jayra, and he knows what it'll take to cure her.
[close]
If anyone gets fifty points, they'll have gotten the other half of the explanation.

That doesn't explain the rest of the story, but I'll post that after more people have a chance to play the game.  ;)
Playing Arden's Vale has been shown to improve morale, revive unconscious kittens, and reverse hair loss.

Snake

Oh my oh my oh my oh my! I did not see released! I will download and play ASAP!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

antipus

Arj0n just let me know that I'd had the wrong link up on the main post.  I mean it worked but it went to the other site.  If you've finished the game, click here to vote on it.

The previous link didn't have access to the voting stuff.  :: slaps forehead ::  Sorry.  :P  Anyway, it's fixed now.

Saurabh

Stuck:

Spoiler
I have to take hat, and spectacles for disguise , but thread is too short ???
[close]

Tabata

I almost missed this  ...  

- downloading now -  ;D

EDIT:
Well, that was really a nice little game, well drawn and animated and the puzzles were quite right, also had fun with the dialogs.

So congratulations for coming up with such a good one and thank you for offering it to us.

Twice I was in a bit of trouble:
Spoiler
First time at the door-lock in the castle and second time while going back towards the guard.
The first one is because I am not clever enough to make it by the given level, but it was clever to give people like me the choice to make it easier.
Second one was because I searched for the thrown away disguise and thought it was taken away (It needed some death's until I found it, where I never expected it)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk