Oceanspirit Dennis - ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯

Started by ThreeOhFour, Fri 14/10/2011 11:16:35

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

In order to beat Karen, Dennis must learn a powerful new ability. The scrolls told that he would find the ability to do this here, and so he has traveled in order to learn the magic he requires to overcome Karen in battle.

FIGHTS!

Drawn and built by me with music and additional writing by qptain Nemo

It's an OSD game and that means: Source code!

TomatoesInTheHead

Isn't there a typo in the thread title? I think it should be ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ rather than ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯! ???

qptain Nemo

Alright, here's an important warning to everybody who dares to play this:

Don't put the volume even close to the level that can be considered loud!

There're two reasons for this:
1. My music here is quite terrible (but very fitting)
2. for some strange reason AGS overdrives/mangles/??? the mp3 in the game and turns one mildly annoying sound in the music track into horrible deafening digital screeching, which despite what you may think wasn't intended at all.  You may listen to the original track to confirm that i didn't intend THAT level of torture to your ears. http://lazyandsleepy.org/music/Teh%20Wisdom%20of%20Oceanspirit%20Dennis.mp3 Also Ben claims that he didn't encounter that issue which is strange.

You've been warned.

Thank you for your attention. Be vigilant!

Oh, it's been fixed. Nevermind, it's perfect!

Wonkyth

:o .........
It's like Christmas come early!
Except I get something I want!
Two things I want!
Hooray for Ben!
Hooray for Dennis!
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Fri 14/10/2011 11:30:11
Isn't there a typo in the thread title? I think it should be ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ rather than ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯! ???

That's an interesting point, but if you carefully examine the OSD lore you'll find that ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ is a much better fit for purely canonical reasons.

Still, interesting thought!

And yes, if you find troubles with the music let me know and Nemo and I will see what we can do. I honestly didn't have the issues he seemed to have, and nobody else seems to have mentioned anything yet.

Wonkyth - Merry Christmas ;)

Monsieur OUXX

I'm not sure what happens at the end? Dennis is about to fight Karen and... the game exits?

ThreeOhFour

Spoiler
Dennis learns the ovary peeler spell so that he can defeat Karen, but the poleskull skullpole then reveals that he is from the underworld. Seeing as Dennis is the Scourge of the Underworld, he is naturally opposed to Dennis and has tricked him so that he can now send Dennis to the Uterus dimension, trapping him in this place as punishment for his actions as the Scourge of the Underworld.
[close]

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense!

Khris

That was fun :)

Had the same music issue though, maybe use ogg?

Ghost

Now all that in not the solved is: Is that a the black-and-white zebracat, or a the white-and-black one? Bens?

ThreeOhFour

Will see about ogg perhaps Khris. Thanks for the notification!

Ghost - a little about zebracats. The zebracat is actually two cats existing in two seperate dimensions. The parts that are missing of the black cat in this dimension are filled with parts from the white cat, leaving exactly the same gap but with opposite colours for the zebracat in the second dimension. Where this one has white ears, the sister zebracat in the second dimension has the black cat's ears instead. In this way, the zebracat is actually two completely seperate cats joined in a unique fashion, a symbiotic relationship, and thus can never really be defined as to whether it is the "black on white" or "white on black" for, speaking in terms of identity, the zebracat is not a single cat but two.

And that's why they never listen, no matter how much you may warn them.

Ponch

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Thank you, Santa. Or Great Pumpkin. Or Elvis. Or whoever I have to thank for this!  :D

ThreeOhFour

Ponch: Enjoy  ;)

The sound issue is hopefully fixed now (thanks Khris) so my sincere apologies to anybody who ended up with sore ears from it. Let me know if it arises once more!

Edit: Updated first post with source code now that sound issue is fixed.

veryweirdguy

Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, LA Noire...

...this has them all beat. Game of the YEAR.

Spoiler
zebracats never listened even when you warn them a lot
[close]

ThreeOhFour

This is why you are my favourite guy that is very weird.

Icey

Almost missed this today. About to download it now.

Ben I thought you were done making OSD games, glad to see otherwise.

ThreeOhFour

I was inspired to make this after I tried playing Final Fantasy X the night before - this kinda represents how that experience left me feeling.

Ponch

I thought the work day would never end. Why do they insist I DO STUFF just because I'm on the clock. Don't they know a new OSD game is out? Waiting for me? Waiting to be played?!?

Of course they don't know! And I've got to keep it that way! I kept my mouth shut about it all day. Waiting... plotting... scheming...

And then BOOM! Time's up and I'm out the door! Sprinting across the parking lot. The car door is locked! No time! Break the window! Key in the ignition! On the expressway! All the lousy drivers! Enough with the horns! I don't have time for stop lights today! NOT ON THIS DAY OF ALL DAYS!! MOVE! MOVE MOVE MOVE! STUPID CROSSING GUARD! YOU KIDS CROSS THE STREET SOME OTHER DAY! HANG ON, DENNIS! I'M ALMOST HOME!!!

World spinning rapidly. Everything is upside down. Airbag everywhere I look. Must be the fault of Wall Street.

My car is tangled up in the neighbor's hedge. Close enough. Sprinting now. Across the lawns. Nice old Mrs. Cole is saying something from the grass where she lays by her birdbath. Something about having a stroke. Can't be sure. I leap over her. My house is in sight! Sudden insight: The keys are still in the ignition of my upside down car. Noes!! Wait! The patio door! I can make it if I hit it at a dead run!

Glass everywhere. So much blood. Makes it tricky to use the mouse. Double click... Right click... Left Click... Left Click... Suddenly dialog options, out of nowhere! Damn, hard to make decisions with this kind of blood loss... Fork... Gravy... New Spell...

Boom! Game Over!

Did it end? Or did I pass out for a while? Can't tell. Not important. New... Ben... OSD... Game.... Goods... Sleepy time.... now...

*Snore*

Icey

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 15/10/2011 01:13:17
I was inspired to make this after I tried playing Final Fantasy X the night before - this kinda represents how that experience left me feeling.

No you copy cater! :D
That's what is inspiring my OSD game.

So did you enjoy the game? cause I can't see it :D

@Ponch: Funny story ;)

ThreeOhFour

Ponch - Rest well, he of the Ocean's Spirit. You have earned your rest this day.

Studio3 - Oh sorry, I didn't know! I liked it in the sense that it inspired me to make a game without much gameplay but a very confusing series of events that I don't understand. Didn't get very far through it, though, so hopefully I didn't steal too much of the inspiration from it so there's enough left over for your OSD game :)

Oh, also, I think I may have accidentally exposed the larger indie community to OSD - I posted this on Twitter last night, not really thinking, and somehow it got written up on Indiegames.com and rockpapershotgun.com. So, uh, sorry for not keeping the secret a secret.

Ponch

Quote from: Studio3 on Sat 15/10/2011 01:38:24
@Ponch: Funny story ;)

Story?!?  :o  Buddy, I LIVED it! I mean, I must have, right? My glass patio door has been smashed, my car is missing, and I woke up bloody and not wearing any pants. What other reason could there be for all that if not a new OSD game?  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk