[COMPLETE] BAKE SALE : Abner the Amazing

Started by poc301, Thu 27/10/2011 11:35:45

Previous topic - Next topic

poc301

This is my and Locutusofbored's entry for the bake sale, edited on December 12, 2011.

Thanks!

Game info :

Abner the Amazing

A nefarious deed has been done!  All across the land, the colors have gone missing!  It's a good thing that Abner the Amazing was in the bar downing pint after pint of beer when it happened!  Help Abner go on an epic (and slightly wobbly) quest to find out what happened to all the colors, and take them back!  

Assuming he can find his sword first...

Features:

-No narrator in the game.  Abner is a boastful and egotistical person, and is more than happy to tell you how everything he sees and touches relates to how awesome he is.

- 2  additional playable characters will join Abner in his quest.  Each character has interactions they can perform.  For instance, Abner can use his sword.  Dink, the thief, can pick locks and sneak through the shadows.  

- Use each character's special abilities to solve puzzles in various ways.  Most puzzles can be solved multiple ways using a brute force, stealth or magical take on things.

-The characters are all on the screen at the same time, so no picking and choosing who you have with you.  Feel free to change between any of the characters on the fly at any time.

- A 2-click interface.  The Left/Right mouse setup to walk, look and use things.

- No inventory.  You heard me right, no stuff.  The puzzles are all solved using the characters special abilities.

WORK IN PROGRESS SCREENSHOTS

Abner finding Dink bound and gagged on the side of the road.

Abner, slightly intoxicated, has determined the bushes stole all the colors from the world.

Abner and Dink follow a lead to go looking for the wizard Mallystra. (Animated boat, lake effect, and birds circling the tower)

The GUI that allows you to switch between various party members.

A room's screenshot.

Thanks,

-Bill

Darth Mandarb

There is a missing second screenshot... please post it promptly 'cause I don't want to have to lock a bake-sale thread!!

Thank you sir!

poc301

Second screenshot added, Darth.  Sorry for the messup..  I've been doing this for like 8 years, you'd think I'd know the rules by now :(

- Bill

Ghost

Sound like a very interesting premise, and having many playable characters is always cool. So the Bake Sale has his own AGS take on deBlob now!

I really dig the character design- Abner sure looks the daring pilot type!

Igor Hardy

I like the look of the characters. Reminds me of certain Polish comic book series I read as a kid.

poc301

Yeah, Neil's character art is a bit amazing at times :)

poc301

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

There is no narrator in this game.  Abner is...  Shall we say a very egotistical and 'confident' (re: boastful) person.  He has something to say about EVERYTHING.  And amazingly, most things he sees he can relate to his own greatness in some way.

-Bill

tzachs

This is a very ambitious project! 8 playable characters with different solutions, it's incredible!
And the story sounds interesting as well. And that Abner dude is amazing, thought I once killed 24 dragons with a single swipe of my pinky toe...

Ponch

I really like the black and white look of this game and the art style. It sounds very ambitious too. I hope you can pull all of these threads together in time. It will be epic.  :D

poc301

Glad people are liking it.

I think I was a bit too ambitious given the timeframe.  I've shortened it down to 4 total playable characters.  Who knows, if people like the story, gameplay and such, maybe eventually a Deluxe edition can be made with the original cast of characters :)

I think that given the point of this whole exercise, having a smaller and more polished game is a better idea than content with less time to test and fine tune it.

-Bill

Ghost

Quote from: poc301 on Thu 27/10/2011 18:10:52
I've shortened it down to 4 total playable characters. 
Still very impressive! Do you get all four during the course of one game, or is this like Maniac Mansion where you "pick a team"?

poc301

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 27/10/2011 19:38:01
Quote from: poc301 on Thu 27/10/2011 18:10:52
I've shortened it down to 4 total playable characters. 
Still very impressive! Do you get all four during the course of one game, or is this like Maniac Mansion where you "pick a team"?

They are all in your adventuring party.  Think along the lines of Final Fanstasy, where you are travelling in a pack.  You can select to become any of the characters at any time and use their abilities or interact with the world.  You have them all with you all the time, so no picking and choosing who is with you at any given time.

Thanks,

Bill

Cyrus

Very reminiscent of Gobliiins, I wonder why no one has mentioned them before.

poc301

Updated main post to show:

-Additional screenshots
-Character-changing GUI
-New character sprites
-Consolidated information about the game

Thanks,

Bill

poc301

Hi all,

Just and update...

During the development of the game I've come to realize that Abner's awesomeness is overwhelming at times.  I am really beginning to get frustrated with him as I do all the dialogues in the game, because the guy is so over the top.  I'd slap him right in his amazingly handsome face if he were a real person.  The fact that his constant bragging and compulsive... uh... explanation of his many conquests... is making him likely the most interesting character I've ever had to develop for a game.

The game's music is done, I am working on the final 2 screens of the game, and then will be doing GUI work.  Once that is finished, it'll be ready for release in the Bake Sale pack.

**Edit**  Question:  Is it wrong to hate a character you create?  One who is genuinely a good natured person but whose personality makes you want to stab him in the face with a fireplace poker?  I feel kinda weird about it.

-Bill

Ponch

Quote from: poc301 on Fri 02/12/2011 17:36:57
Question:  Is it wrong to hate a character you create?  One who is genuinely a good natured person but whose personality makes you want to stab him in the face with a fireplace poker?  I feel kinda weird about it.

Not at all. I think every creator has a love / hate relation with their creation. Just pick up any book on mythology and you'll see it's quite a common theme.  :=

poc301

BETA TESTERS NEEDED:  The deadline is looming for the Bake Sale, and I'm looking for a few testers to go over the game to make sure there are no huge problems.  I will be finishing the last of the game's GUIs and menus while testing is going on, but the game itself should be done within another day or so.  I am working on the ending sequence now.

If you'd be interested in beta testing, getting paid in peanuts and squirrel pelts, please let me know via PM or email.

Thanks!

Bill

poc301

BETA TESTING DONE: After a long and arduous process of breaking more stuff than I actually fix while the game was being Beta Tested, it looks like it is finally done.  There will be one more release of the game to the testers to make sure all is perfect, and Neil has a few more sprites to send over, but the game is about ready to have that lovely "COMPLETE" stamp placed on it.

-Bill

poc301

The game is all finished!

Thanks to Sane Co. and David for their hard work beta testing this sucker, and helping me iron out all the glitchy little programming and logic bugs.

-Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk