[COMPLETE] BAKE SALE: The Rail

Started by Technocrat, Fri 25/11/2011 02:54:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocrat

On a tidally-locked world, the only way for resources to be moved under the deadly sun is by high-speed train. The management refuse to automate it entirely - after all, then there'd be nobody to blame when things go wrong - and it's been your uneventful duty for the past several years to see the train back and forth along:

THE RAIL

So naturally, things are going to go wrong on your watch. Things like, oh, maybe hijacking? And bombing? And all of the above?

Featuring:
- a train
- a man
- animations
- another man
- a desert
- guest starring Castle Bravo as itself.

An exercise in art and timekeeping practice, I decided to try this as an effort to prove that I could, and to take my mind off Technobabylon, because I really wasn't pleased with how that was going.

So, since I've been sticking to my plan, the game is essentially finished. Barring music, it'll be complete on Sunday, four weeks and two days after starting on it. And I intend the first place for people to be able to play it to be AdventureX, on the 17th of December.

So, yes, anyone fancy giving it a test-run after Sunday, for an objective opinion on the matter?

Fitz

Hmm the story reminds me of my job... which should make me hate it - but instead, I love it! :D Looks just gorgeous. And I can easily identify with the grumpy-faced main protagonist. Does he get a gun to fend off hi-jackers, btw?

arj0n

Nice graphic style, TR.

Dualnames

This looks terribly interesting!!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Technocrat

Quote from: └» Arj0n «┘ on Fri 25/11/2011 08:22:44
Nice graphic style, TR.

Thanks, it's called "anti-alias the hell out of everything".

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 25/11/2011 07:47:42
Does he get a gun to fend off hi-jackers, btw?

Not a gun, but if I told you what he *does* get, I'd be spoiling a puzzle.

NickyNyce

This has all the makings of an awesome adventure. Highjacking, bombing, great looking backgrounds and character, what appears to be a lady knocked out on the floor of the hi-speed train.

Looks great Technocrat, looking forward to stopping all this mayhem without a gun!

NickyNyce

Darkdan

Nice backgrounds, nice characters and a train, that makes me want to play...

Chicky

Oh cool, sounds like Moon. Looks pretty too! Gj

Dualnames

Quote from: Technocrat on Fri 25/11/2011 02:54:42
So, yes, anyone fancy giving it a test-run after Sunday, for an objective opinion on the matter?

ALSO YES PLX.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ilyich

Quote from: Chicky on Fri 25/11/2011 13:13:16
Oh cool, sounds like Moon.

More like Source Code. :D

And yeah, looks good. I like the big character sprites - they give the game a slightly different feeling to the Technobabylon ones. Look forward to playing it. :)

Do we use that small blue cup instead of a gun? ;D

cianty

Beauty! Love the character art.
ca. 70% completed

Tabata

Cool â€"  Murphy's Law strikes again!  ;D

Clean bg's,  interesting story and a well done character - I am already chained! 

AnasAbdin

this I LOVE.
but I'm still trying to understand what's going on in the first screen shot near the dead body's head?

Technocrat

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 25/11/2011 18:23:15
this I LOVE.
but I'm still trying to understand what's going on in the first screen shot near the dead body's head?

The walkbehind is a little too big. That's been corrected now. Now she just bleeds everywhere.

Jackpumpkinhead

i am interested in playing this one, but i am still waiting for the latest Technobabylon ;D
currently on an indefinite hold.

ShiverMeSideways

Sweet jesus... All I read in that post is

QuoteThe Rail

Trainstrainstrainstrainstrains.

Screenshot of a train.

Trainstrainstrainstrains.

Trains.

As such, it gets the original Transport Tycoon seal of approval from a 13-year old me.

Unfortunately, the 20-year old me also feels the need to step in and say that your art style has improved significantly, I dig it, and I also think that starting the game off with a dead corpse is brilliant. @GUI: I see what you did tharr, mister! :D

The best of luck to you, Technocrat, can't wait to play, if I have time in-between baking, I mean. Speaking of, why don't you try to get the game in the Bake Sale? It seems you'll fit in the time frame, and the level of quality is definitely up there with anyone else's in the sale (maybe even higher than some of them!).

Trains.

LUniqueDan

OMG  :o I love the cockpit. THAT'S EXACTLY the kind of room I love to play in. Everything is neat. Zero ambiguity and the graphic are apealling. Can't wait to play this game, Techno.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Matti

This sounds and looks great, looking forward to it!

m0ds

Looks great, and thanks for having it ready for the show! :)

Stupot

Can't wait to play this one :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk