Indiana Rodent: Raiders of the Lost Cheese (now freeware!)

Started by Radiant, Thu 29/12/2011 22:05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Watch the a Let's Play video!

Indiana Rodent is the biggest platform game ever written for AGS, proving once again the versatility of the engine. Take the role of the Mouse With The Hat and go in search of the vaunted lost cheese. Traverse forests, deserts, and the halls of illusion; jump over hedgehogs, hitch a ride on a turtle, and evade vicious snakes - all for the reward of more cheese than you could ever eat, and what more could a mouse want?

The game is built on a tile engine, with eight-way scrolling and parallax background. It features four difficulty modes, nine expansive levels to explore, and various secrets and unlockables for you to find. And don't miss the boss monster, the vicious Moby Duck!

The game is part of the AGS Bake Sale, a collection of games to be sold shortly as a charity fundraiser. Since it is one year after their release, the games are now freely available. You can download the full version Indiana Rodent here.

Thanks to Black Squirrel, Corby, Ghost, Kramlack, and Snake for the art; and King Seamus, Lumpupu, MUFFINinc, and Peter Silk for the music.

arj0n

Cool.

Spoiler
Shouldn't the 1st screenshot be rodent1.png or rodent3.jpg?
[close]

Calin Leafshade

great game! *thumbs up*

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

All he needs is a little fedora and an orange vest and you have a new saturday morning cartoon character!

Radiant

Okay, I was in a hurry when I posted this, so I've now edited the first post with an actual blurb and more screenshots. Enjoy :)

Peder 🚀

This plays damn smooth! :D
Will you ever release an open source version of this? For people interested in making platform games?

Frodo

Fun game   :)

I got to level 6 on Easy Level (Beta Testing).  Found it quite tricky to time the jumps right though.  Either I missed the platforms, or I jumped into spikes above, or I landed on spikes\enemies etc.  I was glad of the auto-save thingy, so I could continue from my last point, instead of having to go back to the begininng each time.   ;)

Still find it kinda awkward that some of the jumps are further away, so you have to take a running jump.  I would prefer if you could jump the same distance from a standing point.  Also found that with a running jump, you sometimes jumped to far, and fell off the next platform.  But that's just me.   :P

I did like the appearing\disappearing blocks.  That was a nice touch.   :)  The hedgehogs just strolling along, minding their own business, are cute.  And the spitting snakes are just adorable!   ;D

Still can't get past the giant duck though.  I didn't know what to do with it at first.  But now I've been told what to do, I still can't defeat it.   :P

All-in-all, a fun game.   ;)

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Frodo on Sun 08/01/2012 22:47:55Still find it kinda awkward that some of the jumps are further away, so you have to take a running jump.  I would prefer if you could jump the same distance from a standing point.  Also found that with a running jump, you sometimes jumped to far, and fell off the next platform.  But that's just me.   :P

Nope, I beta-tested it as well and gave the same feedback! :)

It is without question one of the best AGS platformer - congratulations, Radiant, despite the fact that I personally would have done a couple of things like the jumping a little differently.

Radiant

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Mon 02/01/2012 23:49:33
This plays damn smooth! :D
Will you ever release an open source version of this? For people interested in making platform games?

If the game proves popular I'll certainly consider it.

Quote from: Frodo on Sun 08/01/2012 22:47:55
Still find it kinda awkward that some of the jumps are further away, so you have to take a running jump.

I understand, but having inertia is a deliberate design choice (and one shared by e.g. Mario, Sonic, and Cave Story). I find it plays more fluid like that, but of course it's tricky to get the air control right. If you compare this to the first MAGS release, you'll find it's much better now. Also, it may help to watch the jump-o-meter in the lower left corner.

QuoteStill can't get past the giant duck though.  I didn't know what to do with it at first.  But now I've been told what to do, I still can't defeat it.   :P

Practice makes perfect. It gets much harder on Hard difficulty, of course.

Ghost

The programming alone is really astonishing. Very good response and smooth scrolling, and to think that this is done in an engine designed to have characters move on generous walkable areas... If anything, I would've loved to see Rodney "tilt" a little when walking on slopes, but that's a detail.

I needed a while to adjust to the inertia, which feels more extreme than in the several Mario games I've played, but I think it is well implemented. Platformers are about skill and reflexes, and it was very satisfying to beat a tricky sequence after a couple of false starts.

As for the graphics, I may be biased (  ;) ) but I think everything looks very consistent and incredibly cute, and the idea of a rubber ducky as a boss... let's just say it reminded me a lot of Lollypop  ;D
It's really a game that's easy to recommend! Congrats!

ShiverMeSideways

I just played the demo and I must say,  it's one of the most charming games I've played recently, that's for sure!

I agree with ghost about the inertia, it feels a little awkward and takes some getting used to, but I kind of had this problem will all platformers I've played, so it's not such a big deal.

The graphics are nice and cute, the music is appropriately chiptune-y (and I got the level 1 world 1 Mario vibe - dunno if it was intentional or not), sound effects are hilarious, and the whole atmosphere really took me back to when I was a kid playing my NES knock-off! Oh, the nostalgia tripping!

My only complaint is that the demo was a bit too short. Give us at least 2 levels to get the gist of what's going on, man! Just the one level feels like you're cutting off the player too soon.

Radiant

As the Bake Sale is officially live, people can now play the full game from there. I wonder who'll be the first to find all the Blue Cups hidden in the game!

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways on Thu 12/01/2012 09:43:49
My only complaint is that the demo was a bit too short. Give us at least 2 levels to get the gist of what's going on, man! Just the one level feels like you're cutting off the player too soon.

Ah, the first one is free, then you're hooked :)

And yes, the Mario vibe is intentional. I even asked the composers to make a chiptune like that. Actually I've always wanted to write such a platformer, I just never got around to it before.

Igor Hardy

Personally I'm really liking the way you need to carefuly pick up speed before jumping. Makes  it a bit of a puzzle game as well.

Is that inspired by any particular game btw? Super Mario Bros games for example don't have such exactly relative speed to the duration of running.

The music references to Mario are also really neat.

tzachs

The polish on this game is incredible!
A very enjoyable game, I finished it on medium after a lot of deaths. I especially liked how you retreat to the easy level after you had a few deaths, a really nice touch, and I probably wouldn't have finished it without it. I can't tell you how relieved I was every time those stars showed up, and also how proud I was when I managed to get to a save point without the stars...

I tried a playing a bit in the hard masochist level, I gave up soon, though I did manage to get a blue cup in that level (which I didn't manage at all in the first play).

Radiant

Thanks for your comments :)

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 20/01/2012 23:49:27
Is that inspired by any particular game btw? Super Mario Bros games for example don't have such exactly relative speed to the duration of running.
Well, as I recall Mario doesn't instantly stop when you release the direction button, but instead skids to a stop a few pixels later (neither does Sonic, or Quote from Cave Story). So based on that, I made it so the speed increases (to a limit) while the button is held, and it decreases to zero when it's not. I'm aware that Mario doesn't do it exactly in this way, that's why it's an inspiration rather than a direct copy.

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 24/01/2012 11:27:17
I tried a playing a bit in the hard masochist level, I gave up soon, though I did manage to get a blue cup in that level (which I didn't manage at all in the first play).
Congratulations on being the first (other than myself) to complete Medium difficulty! Or at least the first that posted about it. Well done. As the name suggests, Hard mode is intended to be hard, but you can also find blue cups on Medium level if you search around a bit.

Radiant

Wham made a Let's Play video of Indiana Rodent, too. Yay! Turns out you can complete the basic game in about an hour, not counting finding all the hidden stuff.

Tabata

That "Let's Play" was really interesting and entertaining to watch!
Also a good chance for me to see this lovely Rody action-mouse at work  :D - Thank you WHAM!!

A very cool game you made with this engine Radiant

Let it be told you by a mouse 
... and the impression of the ducks face, especially when it was hit, is fantastic  ;D

Radiant

Well, it's almost March 1st, at which point this game will be released as freeware.

So I was wondering, would people be interested in a level editor?

DrJone.s

After having played the demo back in the day, I'm looking forward for this one.  :smiley:

About the level editor, I'm too lazy to promise I'll use it. I love Commander Keen, yet I've never made a custom level with the level editor I found ages ago.

Radiant

Since we're now celebrating the Bake Sale's first anniversary, this game has been released as freeware!

Download the full version here!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk