So, I'm making a platformer engine-type thingy in AGS...

Started by ShiverMeSideways, Sat 28/01/2012 22:31:59

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

Hello, everyone!

After the Bake Sale, I set myself upon a new, non-adventure-type thing, a strategy game! Then, I lost interest in that and went with a platformer instead! As such, I'd like to announce that I'll be releasing either as a module or as OpenSource the "Vain AGS Platformer Engine"!

Features:
* smooth/fast movement and platforming
* already-implemented code for handling basic enemy AI, all the movement, meelee and ranged weapons etc., with parameters which can then be modified to your liking (want a more "airy" atmosphere, tweak the gravity; want smaller hitboxes, change 'em; etc.)
* incorporated editor with which to make your own levels (and whole campaigns!)
* levels made up of rooms/scenes which are 960 px in width by 720 px in height and can be linked in a "Metroidvania"-esque style
* no grid/tile system - you can place objects wherever you like, however you like, this allows YOU, the dev, to tweak those levels to perfection!
* it won't be for the complete newbies to AGS, but scripters of at least low-medium skill should be able to work with this engine - when it is finished, I will personally record a comprehensive video tutorial on how to get started, use, and abuse the engine :)

Here's what YOU can do:
* View latest prototype demonstration video (Jan 30rd Update!)
OR
* Download and actually test out the latest compiled version! (Jan 30rd Update!)

Then, let me know what you think, please, critique, questions, and suggestions warmly welcomed!

Current To-do List:
actually hit baddies
1) ranged weapons (both hitscan and projectile-based)
2) more enemy types and enemy AI (if it can be called that) refinement
3) implement foreground and background(s)

PS: Again, all-hail CJ for how incredibly versatile AGS is, my word!

Calin Leafshade

Darth Mandarb

Very impressive!

Can we [pretty please] have parallax background (and foreground) scrolling too?! Like 8 Levels of it?? ;)

Can you put up a dev-blog for this somewhere?  I'd actually really like to keep an eye on this!

Chicky

+1 for Parallax backgrounds!

This looks freakin' sweet, i'm going to mark it on my calendar of makingness.

What a lovely chap you are  :=

monkey0506

Is there any way that I could get you to change that initial part of the engine name?

I'm thinking that something like Radical AGS Platformer Engine would sound better than "Vain".

Of course, the acronym RAPE would attract all the right people. :=

This looks lovely. It's something I've very moderately explored before myself, but your demo is very intriguing. I'd definitely like to take a look at those lines when I get the chance (that is, when you get the chance to upload the source ;)).

RickJ

WHAM

*watches video*

Holy shit!

*watches video again*

Whaaaat?

*watches video for the third time*

Are you Jesus? Do I need to prepare for rapture or something?

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

kconan

Ghost

As I said in PM, this is pretty awesome. Who'd have thought AGS would enter a second spring as an arcade engine? And the idea about a "moddable engine" makes me all the more exited: Seriously, that'll be so very cool!

Radiant

That's nice to see; AGS can always use another platformer. Indiana Rodent supports this project :)

Dualnames

Quote from: RickJ on Sun 29/01/2012 06:53:15
How about  AGS Platformer Engine or APE.   

That would be good, but APE currently in the forum search is used for AKUMAYO'S PARTICLE ENGINE, and therefore that would create a bit of difficulty for newcomers.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wyz

Looks like Shivers is on fire! :D
Dude! Why are you studying philolololololololology if you crank out games like this? Is it for the lol?  :=

Well keep it up, it's awesome :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

InCreator

Awesome work... although you could crank out platformers thrice as quickly with Game Maker.
I'd love to see a bit more flashback/out of this world/prince of persia type of engine and elements, since mario clones we have more than enough, but Yahtzee already made such a platformer with AGS if I remember correctly.

Dualnames

Art of theft, is a cinematic platformer? Not by any definition. Art of Theft is a Splinter Cell mobile - spoof, if anything. But not a cinematic platformer. Not even close. I like what i've seen so far by a lot, Shivers. Way to go.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Radiant

Quote from: InCreator on Sun 29/01/2012 13:29:36
mario clones we have more than enough

Really? How many AGS platform games do we have, anyway?

I'm aware of Platformerius, 1213, Art Of Theft, and Indiana Rodent. I'm sure there's a few more out there. Does anyone have a list?

Alan v.Drake

ddq

Ponch

I built a simple Mario-style pipe maze / platform mini-game for the Barn Runner Halloween game. I can't even begin to imagine how much work THIS must have been. Nicely done, Shivers.  8) 8)

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 29/01/2012 17:26:46
Quote from: InCreator on Sun 29/01/2012 13:29:36
mario clones we have more than enough

Really? How many AGS platform games do we have, anyway?

I'm aware of Platformerius, 1213, Art Of Theft, and Indiana Rodent. I'm sure there's a few more out there. Does anyone have a list?

Plumber boy, the one by abstauber, some toying by calin, the one with a cat which was a mags too. Nope don't think there is a list, we should ask arj0n.

nihilyst

Bear Story! Love the music :D

That demostration video looks awesome. Must have been an aweful lot to code :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk