Black Sect remake testers found

Started by HandsFree, Wed 15/02/2012 23:08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsFree

Long ago, people were disappearing in the small French village of Issegeac. The villagers lived in fear and finally went to the Great Homerius, renowned exorcist for help. After exausting the many spells from his spellbook, Homerius declared Issegeac safe again.
Before leaving, he told the villagers: "Good people, peace has returned. Do not be afraid! I have to go but I'll leave this grimoire. It will be your protection, do not misplace it." With these words, he left Issegeac and the spellbook was given to the village elder, who was none other than your grandfather.

For many years, Isségeac lived in peace, until... one evening a stranger arrived in the village. The next morning, your grandfather was dead and the spellbook gone.
Now it's up to you to find the Black Sect's hideout and return the spellbook to your village.

Yes, another remake.
Lankhor's Black Sect is insanely difficult, at least by today's standards.
The whole game is timed and you can die, but there are only 5 saveslots.
There are over 60 inventory items, but you can only hold 5 at one time.
And it has 16 different action icons plus a few extra.
In addition, some hotspots are only 1 pixel big and a smart cursor wasn't yet invented in 1993.

Even following a walkthrough to the letter I had a hard time finishing it, and in the end I wondered what the game would have been like if I could have just experienced it the normal way, finding things out myself.

So the remake will have a smart cursor, only 2 action icons (look/act), no timing and an upgraded gui and inventory system. I'm keeping the original art, including background animations, but sound and music will be updated.
This way the game may end up extremely easy but I'll worry about that later. :)

Overall status: 40% done.

NB Did anyone here ever play Black Sect?

30-5-2012: The game is now ready for testing. (testers found)

david

Yes, I did play it a a year or two ago. As you say it is pretty tough one, though :) even with the walkthrough
frustration is an essential word for this game. But I finished it finally and you know what, I really cannot recall how this ended. Well, good to see someone is making a remake
carry on  ;)

Anian

Myst is a difficult adventure game, this doesn't make it difficult puzzle wise but by basically handicapping the player. I also think that's why it wasn't so popular. Seems like you are polishing the gameplay, so good on ya.  :)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

HandsFree

It's an experiment, but I thought I'd try remaking a game that's somewhat flawed rather than a game that was already perfect to begin with.
My main concern is that I'm removing all the elements that made it difficult (and frustrating) so the result could become way to easy.
I do plan to redesign some puzzles/problems, but I'm limited to the art that's already there (because I can't draw).

HandsFree

The game is now ready for testing. If anyone is interested please send me a pm.
thanks

edit: testers found.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk