Echoes of the Nezhyt

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Wed 27/06/2012 15:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

Info:
Just a brandname chip loving guy who wants to make a interesting P&C game based in Chernobyl/Pripyat, In the early 90s.
I got a ton of free time to dedicate to this and I'm focusing on story,graphics,sound and gameplay to the best of my ability.
So, Hopefully I can make something that you fine people here will find interesting and fun!

Synopsis:
Ukraine, 1990.
Dmitri is experiencing the worst hangover ever.
After 11 years spent in prison, all he has got is a bad liver and a rundown apartment, not so far from Pripyat.
No family, no friends, no job.
A former firefighter just like his brother, tries to surrender to the daemons of the past.
The bitter, dark, emptiness of alcohol is all that he seeks.
And every night, just before slipping into oblivion, his last thoughts go to his brother, who disappeared during the reactor 4 failure in Chernobyl's nuclear plant, in 1986.
On this very night, Dmitri plans to end his agony for good.
But someone or something is still alive in the dead city.
And wants Dmitri alive, too.

Screenshots:
Dimitri's Apartment.

*The bathroom wall fades as you walk through the doorway*

"Boris brought his big nose outside his outpost shack's window while leaning on his forearms to have a more focused view of Dmitri's masked face."

"The Bridge Of Death."
"So called because on the day of the explosion, people gathered on this bridge to see the flames of the burning graphite nuclear core.
They were all exposed to levels of over 500 roentgens, a fatal dose."

Features/Planned Features*:
320 x 200 Pixel Graphics
Voice Acting
Many Animated/Detailed Backgrounds & Tons of Animations
Morality System
Variety of Npcs
Interesting/Unique Puzzles

Credits:
Frito_Master: Art, Game Design, Scripting, Story, Sound
LostTrainDude: Story, Game Design
baggyg: Scripting
an Urpney: Story, Game Design
Marcus: Sounds, Music
Ltgiants2000: Story, Game Design
RyanTimothy: Scripting
The AGS Community: Everything :D

Notes:
My main goal right now is to get enough done to make a demo and get feedback from that and modify/learn as necessary, Then move on to finishing it.
My earliest estimate is at least 3-ish weeks.
Thanks for checking out the thread!

Matti

I followed your thread in the critics lounge and I'm so looking forward to this. Regarding your progress it's a bit early for a GiP-thread though, isn't it?  ;)

Anyway, good luck with this, looks promising!

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks, Well I don't know the actual % of what I have done, So I just stuck some small numbers in there.
I'll update the main post after I get some sleep so it doesn't look so barren and that I haven't done anything.

cianty

Love the atmosphere in the screenshots.
ca. 70% completed

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Frito Master on Wed 27/06/2012 15:39:08
Dmitri is experiencing the worst hangover ever.
...all he has got is a bad liver and a rundown apartment...
No family, no friends, no job.
...just like his brother, tries to surrender to the daemons of the past.
The bitter, dark, emptiness of alcohol is all that he seeks.
Isn't his name Dmitri Payne? :D

Ghost

This looks promising- good mood in the screenshots and a nice pedigree to draw from: Colour this Stalker interested!

Fun fact: "Nezhyt" is just close enough to "Netzhaut" (German for retina) to make me smile ;)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 27/06/2012 19:22:11
Fun fact: "Nezhyt" is just close enough to "Netzhaut" (German for retina) to make me smile ;)
Nezhyt is Undead in slavic tradition; literally translated as "Non-live" :)

david

For some reason and I don't know why yet, I love your style
good luck with it :)
keep an eye on this

LTGiants2000

Wow man, it's looking great!! Don't feel obligated to keep my name there...I've been so busy I haven't even had time to help you in a while!!!

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 27/06/2012 17:58:36
Isn't his name Dmitri Payne? :D

Haha, I'm guessing you talking about Max Payne. Believe it or not I haven't played a Max Payne game, They never seemed that fun imo. Though I've seen enough to that it almost reminds me of the punisher.
I always found the protagonist who didn't have hero like features more interesting.

QuoteWow man, it's looking great!! Don't feel obligated to keep my name there...I've been so busy I haven't even had time to help you in a while!!!
I got a list of anyone who helped me, Even when it was just a idea in my head haha. You helped so your in there.

QuoteNezhyt is Undead in slavic tradition; literally translated as "Non-live"
:D

Anywho back to work on the starting of the game still have a few animations to finish, I'll have a demo(At least 2/3 + weeks.)out once I get more done so I can get feedback and such.

PassionatePatty

CaptainD

So THIS is what all those lovely background graphics have been for!  ;-D

I'm interested to see how you develop the plot.  Bonus point for the spelling of "daemons"!1  (laugh)

Adder

I'm in!
Those screens're so moody, particularly the lonely guard box.
And the blurb is intriguing especially:
QuoteBut someone or something is still alive in the dead city. And wants Dmitri alive, too.
Like a reverse monster thing, great!

EchosofNezhyt

The apartment sounds nice with the outside traffic sounds coupled with the muffled rain and heavy footsteps and the rain running down the window animation.

The guard post with the rain sounds pretty awesome too and when you walk down the path it scrolls up a bit with the moon and vanishing point in view.

I can't wait for my music buddy to make me some moody peices too!

Edit: Fixed up the post.

Ponch

This game looks very atmospheric. Looking forward to its release.  :)

WHAM

How is a fridge ever "random"?
I cannot get over that one!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

CaptainD

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 29/06/2012 10:38:59
How is a fridge ever "random"?
I cannot get over that one!

Either I've missed something or you need to check those eyes Tomi - it's "RUNDOWN" not RANDOM - admittedly I thought it should be 2 words no 1, but according to spellcheck you can do it either way.

WHAM

Hells, I NEED GLASSES!
Then again, I can't really imagine a rundown fridge either, a house maybe, but now I'm nitpicking. :D

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Crimson Wizard

I can imagine running fridge.
You know....
..... undead fridge.

Anian

...so a radioactive zombie horror? I'm ok with that, keep it up.

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 29/06/2012 12:13:36Then again, I can't really imagine a rundown fridge either, a house maybe, but now I'm nitpicking. :D
If it can be house, why can't it also refer to a fridge? But if you want to be nitpicky apparently it is spelt "run-down" because "rundown" is a noun and means going through the list. Grammar Nazi awaaaaaaaaaaaay. *insert Freakazoid style swooshing sound here*  :grin:

I don't want the world, I just want your half

CaptainD

For the sake of this thread, I think you should be called a Grammar KGB Agent instead of Grammar Nazi.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Anian on Fri 29/06/2012 13:22:47
...so a radioactive zombie horror? I'm ok with that, keep it up.
Zombies are not undead. They are people who took a lot of radioactivity from TV.

Quote from: CaptainD
For the sake of this thread, I think you should be called a Grammar KGB Agent instead of Grammar Nazi.
or Grammar Commi?

Anian

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 29/06/2012 13:34:28Zombies are not undead. They are people who took a lot of radioactivity from TV.
Ghoul then?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Darth Mandarb

STOP!

Take the off-topic stuff to PMs please.

Carry on [topic].

Jaffles

Wow, I can already tell just how atmospheric this game is going to be, and from only two screenshots nonetheless! Best of luck with development!

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks.
The dialog options that I have done are not final, Well maybe a few I liked.(Thanks for the tip though.)
It's also not a survival horror or horror in general, I want it to be atmospheric in a different way.
Oh and don't think typical undead. Hopefully this tornado weather/power outages die down so I can work on it some more.

MiSaNtHrOpE

This is definitely something to look forward to.

Tabata

Sounds like an interesting story â€" will try the demo for sure!

Good luck with your project   

m0ds

Looking very nice, I'll keep an eye on it! And I love trying to say "nezhyt" phonetically.

EchosofNezhyt

@mods
Thanks!

What about it? It was a terrible movie.
Probable one of the worst I ever saw.

Though I think they actually filmed in pripyat so it was at least nice to see the setting.

selmiak

this looks pretty good and interesting :D

Somehow I've thought about the chernoby diaries too when I saw the gamescreens and the story description, but never dared to watch the film, as it already sounded bad. So I have no doubts that this game will be worlds better than CD.

EchosofNezhyt

I coulda made a better movie with no experience haha.
The plot had no more depth then were stuck in pripyat with a broken car and theres mutants.
The one cool thing was the setting which I have a love for... There was a nice scene of a fountain with a tree growing in the middle of it in a building.

Anywho back on topic... I wish I could write more about the story but I think its more interesting to discover everything yourself and It all ties together.
Right now I'm working on a new think/say and a interesting ui.

Hmm...

Richi Muchacho

Awesome work, Frito!

This is the kind of art I'd like to see in my games. It somehow reminds me of "Dreamweb" (one of my favourite classics), maybe because of the dark urban setting and colours palette.

Hope you include a version of Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" in the Sound Track. It will make a great credits sequence, either in the intro or the outro :P

If you want somebody to translate the game text from Enligsh to Spanish, just PM me.

Looks very very nice.

Good luck, and hope we can have a demo soon!

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks Richi.

I'm glad you like the look, I always feel like I don't have a style.

Progress Update:

Well I've been sick most the week, but If you look at the main post there is a new screen of a wip background of the Pripyat "Death Bridge".
I've also been spending alot of time with story stuff and reading up on story design in games.
I got a ton of help from RyanTimothy for making a new .think and .say function.
(Ignore the dialog :P)

I also worked a bit on the ui.

AnasAbdin

Great game Frito Master, I wish you the best of luck.

Surdy

Hey Frito, your graphic style looks very promising & atmospheric. I love your story too: very stalkerian for me ;)

If you want a french translation  when the game will be finisihed, I'm ready to go ! You can contact me whenever you want.

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks.

Alright, I'll write your usernames down.

It will be quite awhile though before I contact anyone for that though.

LTGiants2000

Yo Frito! What's new in this one buddy???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk