The Samaritan Paradox - available now!

Started by Andail, Tue 10/07/2012 23:10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

My game The Samaritan Paradox is officially in production.

A writer has died. His daughter seeks the help of you, Ord Salamon, to find his secret last novel. During the search, questions will emerge. Did her father really kill himself? What is the secret novel all about? What is going on on the island of Fardo?

I estimate that I've done roughly 10% of this game, all areas counted (except for music and voices, which I will probably pay someone to do).

The finished product will be for sale at a reasonable price in about a year from now.

For more info + updates, check my blog at
http://faravidinteractive.wordpress.com/

Derrick Freeland

This looks excellent.  Downloading now...

Miguel R. Fervenza

Very interesting plot and nice art, sounds good.

EchosofNezhyt

Andail!

First I have to give you kudos for your art, I love how beautiful the rooms are and the subtle animations of stuff like the tv/fireplace/fishtank.

I didn't play through it yet but in the backroom of the house(Epic Bookshelf/Fishtank) the walkable area is a bit close to the chair in the bottom left so the character renders over it.

The story is compelling so far.

I'm not sure if its just me and it seems wierd to comment about it since your a better artist then me but his walk cycle seems a bit to much.
But that's just being picky I can't really find anything I don't like a ton in your art.

I'll try to do a full playthrough and fill out your sheet.

QuoteThe finished product will be for sale at a reasonable price in about a year from now.
Good :D

AnasAbdin

Very interesting story Andail, great art too. downloading demo now :)

nads

Really enjoying the demo so far, thou some of the walking areas need adjusting but I'm stuck at the following

Spoiler
I'm at the Art Gallery, I can get behind the painting with the buzz saw but I need to distract/get rid of the Gallery owner somehow, A little hint would be nice :D
[close]

Also

Spoiler
I don't know how I did but I'll see if I can do it again, But I was able to take saw out of the Gallery, as I said I don't know how I did it, but if I do I'll let you know how I did it and I'll put it in the notes, I don't think its game breaking or anything
[close]

david

Andail, I saw your pics in the Release something and I am verry happy that you've started this thread. Those pictures look amazingly beautiful :)

keep up the great work, man!
I will really keep an eye on this project. The atmosphere totally hooked me up

Snarky

Quote from: nads on Wed 11/07/2012 09:55:12A little hint would be nice :D

Spoiler
Maybe there's some way to cover up the sound. What else is sometimes compared to "sawing logs"?
[close]

Andail

Thanks for the nice words so far, it's really warming.

And thanks Snarky for your initial feedback and good advice, which I followed to the letter.

david

Is it a bug?

Spoiler
the first time I went to the gallery I was able to get the rope and the saw, at that point I could go behind the painting...then I went out of the gallery to the island and get the paper knife, got back to the gallery assuming to use the paper knife on the painting from behind. But this time I am not able to go there, no matter what. I still have the saw and the rope besides other things in my inv.
Does it have to do something with the saw as nads mentioned?
Thanks
[close]

Andail

David and Nads:
Spoiler

I don't really know why you can't re-enter behind the wall, but I'll look into it. I just discovered it's possible to leave with the saw, by simply interacting with the exit while holding the saw in the inner room, which will trigger the character to walk away before he's prompted to leave it behind. I will fix this bug.
[close]

Anian

PM-ed you, unfortunately very elaborately, but in general I liked it.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Andail

Fixed the errors David and Nads pointed out, I hope. The download file has been updated.
Thanks Anian, nice thorough c&c :)

CaptainD

Unfortunately right now I don't really have time to give this a playtest but I must comment on  how beautiful those screens look!

Storyline sounds good too.

Tabata

That was a nice and entertaining little demo.

m0ds

The Smarties Paradox... Looking good Andail and I hope to give the demo a whirl soon! Best of luck

Shadow1000

I enjoyed the demo. Graphics are sharp and puzzles are about average. Maybe with sound indicating that you've acquired an item it would be smoother (I once spent 10 minutes trying to find an item that I KNEW was there a minute ago. Turns out that I had taken it already but hadn't realized it.)

One important comment: You should colour the pushpins on the map to contrast with the map better. I didn't see them at first and sat there clicking all over in order to proceed. I contemplated that perhaps the demo was over. Red would be nice :)

Thanks for sharing the demo

SHADOW

JSH

We already talked, but I'll say it here as well:

This game is very promising, the graphics looks great and the story is intriguing. I'd definitely buy the full game just from playing the demo. The puzzles are the weakest point of the demo in my opinion but I'm sure you'll be able to use the feedback from everyone here to improve those aspects of the full game.

I also love the fact that it's set here in Sweden! :)

Andail

Thanks Krusbert, your input is highly appreciated :)

All right people, please go ahead and try the new and final version of the demo, now with a SOUNDTRACK, yes you heard me!
http://www.esseb.com/andail/samaritan.rar

Shadow1000

Quote from: Andail on Thu 19/07/2012 21:36:34
Thanks Krusbert, your input is highly appreciated :)

All right people, please go ahead and try the new and final version of the demo, now with a SOUNDTRACK, yes you heard me!
http://www.esseb.com/andail/samaritan.rar

Is there a change in this version?

Namely:
Spoiler
there used to be 4 slots in the pedestal. I don't seem to be able to get past that part of the game this time. Do you use the horse differently in this version?
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk