JSH

Official Website

Buy on Steam
Buy on GOG
Buy on Humble Bundle
Buy on Green Man Gaming

Buy on iOS
Buy on Android

The game is available on either Windows or Mac and has full subtitles in German and French! If you are unsure about a purchase, try the free demo on GOG or Steam!

Soundtrack:

iTunes
Google Play
Amazon
Spotify
Bandcamp
Groove Music

Synopsis:

Set in the 90's, Kathy Rain tells the story of a strong-willed journalism major who has to come to terms with her own troubled past as she investigates the mysterious death of her recently deceased grandfather. Armed with her motorcycle, a pack of cigs, and a notepad, Kathy begins to delve into a local mystery surrounding her hometown that will take her on a harrowing journey full of emotional and personal turmoil.

As she follows a trail of clues he left behind, questions emerge... What was Joseph Rain really looking for that night all those years ago? What turned him into a mere shell of a man, confined to a wheelchair? What secret did a suicidal young artist take with her to the grave, and why are so many people in Conwell Springs going mad? The truth is dark and sinister...

Features:

320x240 (4:3) resolution with crisp pixel art graphics
4,000+ lines of dialogue
Full English voice acting directed by Wadjet Eye Games' Dave Gilbert
Original soundtrack
40+ hand-drawn environments
Compelling narrative with eerie plot set in the 90's

Notes:

Kathy Rain is being developed by Clifftop Games, a small indie studio located in Stockholm, Sweden. Published by Raw Fury Games!

Team:

Joel "JSH" Staaf Hästö - Writing, puzzles, game design, coding and project management
Shane "ProgZmax" Stevens - Art direction, character art and animation
Nauris Krauze - Background art
Tove Bergqvist - Portrait art
Daniel Kobylarz - Music
Dave Gilbert - VO Direction

Stupot

Congratulations on the release of this great-looking game. This will be my payday treat :-D

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

AnasAbdin

Congrats on the release ;-D
what a wonderful time to be alive (laugh)

Fitz

Almost pulled an all-nighter there last night! 8-0 Once I started playing, I couldn't stop & stayed up till past 4 am, went to sleep, woke up 6 hours later and finished it ;-D It was fun and exciting all the way. Obviously, the best thing about the game is Kathy herself, with her big hair, crazy make-up, and snarky humor hiding a deeper, multi-faceted character. Her adventure made me thing of Twin Peaks a lot -- with cryptic messages and guests from a different, ominous realm. I loved that a pinch of Scooby-Doo, too, in the form of the geeky, overzealous sidekick ;) The story also reminded me of "The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair" -- a novel I read a while ago. Quite a few familiar motifs:
Spoiler

1. Death of a girl following her descent into madness.
2. A priest that's not the nice guy everyone believes him to be.
3. An old, rich man with a somewhat suspicious interest in paintings and said girl (that is later proved not to be as sinister in nature as you'd initially suspect).
[close]
Overall, a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed: there's suspense, there's drama, a few shockers, too -- and some comic relief every now and then.

Also: what Eileen said at the end... Does thst mean what I think it does?

JSH

Thanks everyone! It's been a long four years, thanks for sticking with me and Kathy Rain :) Sometimes I had my doubts this day would ever come.

Quote from: Fitz on Sat 07/05/2016 12:07:57
Also: what Eileen said at the end... Does thst mean what I think it does?

Probably means what you think, yeah, but try to see it as more as a wish and intent on our part rather than a promise :) It highly depends on whether or not the world embraces Kathy Rain!

Fitz

Figured as much. So... fingers crossed for that to happen! (nod)

Mandle

AWESOME! I'll be picking up my copy and watching for my name in the credits after replaying this spectacular game!

Blackthorne

Big congrats on your release! I saw Kathy Rain when we were at PAX East too; just super excited for you all.  Great work!

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Blue Bee

Just completed.

I cannot recommend this game enough. by far one of the greatest adventure games of the century.

Characters, story line, puzzles everything was perfect.

do yourselves a favor and go buy this now.

Well done guys and thank you for this absolute gem.

JSH

Thanks for the compliments, everyone :)

As you may have noticed, Kathy Rain has not done too well in terms of sales, so a sequel is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Clifftop Games has got something new cooking though, which will hopefully fare better. Stay tuned :)

Fitz

Awww, that's just so sad :( With Shardlight, Until I Have You and Kathy -- three awesome commercial games -- I thought 2016 would be the a breakout year for AGS. Makes me even less confident about making sequels for my little games...
In any case, I'd love to see more of Kathy someday, in whatever form. A comic? A detective novel, maybe? Or at least her twitter!

Mandle

Quote from: JSH on Thu 19/05/2016 14:15:59
Kathy Rain has not done too well in terms of sales,

In the age we live in you never know though, of course. A single spark, like the game being promoted by a famous website/blogger/youtuber/etc, could send sales rocketing up.

I think the game is solid enough to not rule this out as a possibility...

Best of luck in either case!

Fitz

That's a great point. It's not like the game disappeared from the shelves, it's still there on Steam and GOG, and anything can happen. It may seem like it's been ages -- heck, the game itself felt like quite a journey -- but it's been just over two weeks since the premiere. So maybe people are still just busy playing, writing reviews or recording letsplays.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 20/05/2016 12:04:03
In the age we live in you never know though, of course. A single spark, like the game being promoted by a famous website/blogger/youtuber/etc, could send sales rocketing up.
Quick, someone send a copy to Pewdiepie! :)
But yeah, I agree with Fitz, many games and movies have started with modest sales that grew slowly but steadily. Especially with Steam games many wait until the game is on sale.
I myself have a long list of games that I wanted to buy, but have postponed it until I have more time on my hands.
Many things can still happen, I wish you luck!

JSH

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 20/05/2016 18:22:38
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 20/05/2016 12:04:03
Quick, someone send a copy to Pewdiepie! :)
But yeah, I agree with Fitz, many games and movies have started with modest sales that grew slowly but steadily. Especially with Steam games many wait until the game is on sale.
I myself have a long list of games that I wanted to buy, but have postponed it until I have more time on my hands.
Many things can still happen, I wish you luck!

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 20/05/2016 17:20:12
That's a great point. It's not like the game disappeared from the shelves, it's still there on Steam and GOG, and anything can happen. It may seem like it's been ages -- heck, the game itself felt like quite a journey -- but it's been just over two weeks since the premiere. So maybe people are still just busy playing, writing reviews or recording letsplays.

Heh, Pewdiepie did walk past the booth at PAX PRIME last year, but didn't end up checking it out :) I could've tied him to one of the chairs, but I doubt it would've had the desired outcome ;) But yeah, sure, we could get lucky and a big youtuber could pick up the game. It's not a very common occurence though, adventure games are not popular on youtube to begin with, and if a youtuber would pick a game like that to play, they have a lot of options.

The two first two weeks after launch tend to be the most crucial though, and very rarely does the trend change after that timeframe. The only major exception are weird games which go randomly viral in one way or another. Undertale for instance, I think did quite bad after launch, then totally exploded after a couple of weeks.

Anyway, when the next project is done and launched, we'll re-evaluate KR, it's possible that the fanbase and awareness of Clifftop Games will have grown organically to a point where a sequel is feasible to do :)

And yeah, Fitz - Doing something with Kathy Rain in a non gaming medium sounds cool too, if making another full came does not become an option! I'd love to make a comic, if I could find an artist to partner up with. A novel might work too, although it would play right into the hands of all the people who say I rip off Jane Jensen ;)

Mandle

Quote from: JSH on Fri 20/05/2016 20:21:28
It's not a very common occurence though, adventure games are not popular on youtube to begin with,

There are these guys: They only do adventure games and they livestream every week, and then upload to youtube.

They did Gemini Rue in the past, so they are familiar with AGS and sometimes do indie games:

Mostly Walking

shaun9991

Finished Kathy Rain a couple of days back. Easily one the best adventure games I've played, period! Up there with Gemini Rue as my favourite games born in AGS :)

I wouldn't be downhearted about the sales at all. A lot of people will be holding out for discounts, wading through other games first etc. I think the good thing about adventure games in terms of commercial stuff is they have have a very long shelf life, sales will tick over for years to come!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk