Limit Rooms [SOLVED]

Started by , Wed 06/04/2005 11:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Flukeblake__

Hi. Is there any limit to the number of the rooms you can have for your game?
It's just my game is gonna be reasonably long. Well, thanks for providing me with this info.

strazer

You can have up to 1000 rooms, but any numbered >300 will not have their state saved when the player leaves the room. That means, if you return to these rooms, each time it's as if you enter them for the first time.

Kinoko

Sorry to drag this up again, but regarding the 300+ (because my game will go many times over this limit), this condition of not having state saved could easily be countered with global ints and whatnot, right? Are there any other limits or is that it?

God, I'm actually scared I might go over 1000... I'm gonna have to go over my plans and start counting.

DoorKnobHandle

You can record the "first time player enters room" states easily with GlobalInts or self-declared global variables, that's right.
So you will be able to use up to 1000 rooms in one game without any other limits.

Oh, and you won't need to count, just go to the room editor pane and watch the room numbers, browse your game directory and look for the *.chm file with the biggest number in the name or click on "Game Statistics" in the menu to find out how many rooms you are currently using... ;)

Kinoko

No, well, I meant that I have to go to my written plans and count ^_^ I've only made a fraction of my game and I've made 50 rooms already. However, I -did- go away and count roughly how many I'll be using total and thankfully it's way under 1000. I was just a little scared seeing the number 50 already when I'm only a small percentage through the game.

Pod

Why are there so many arbitrary limits in AGS?
Is there a technical reason for this 300 room limit?

TerranRich

My guess is that it dates back to the days of DOS where memory was limited and.... I really don't know :=

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pod on Thu 30/06/2005 22:07:04
Why are there so many arbitrary limits in AGS? Is there a technical reason for this 300 room limit?

I assume because they have to be set up as arrays and structs, and those must have a max size to decide how much memory are assigned to them.

monkey0506

And if it's really necessary, you could just ask Chris to increase the limits.

HeirOfNorton

And, instead of setting your own GlobalInts, it would probablye be easier to use Strazer's OtherRoom Module instead of coding it all by hand.

HoN

TerranRich

ADDED to the BFAQ: http://bfaq.xylot.com/#editor16

Anyone know how well the OtherRoom Module works for 301+ room numbers? I added it to the BFAQ, and I'd like to know so I can add in any pertinent details. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk