Jibble

Author Topic: Text Anti-alias  (Read 1696 times)

Text Anti-alias
« on: 02 May 2006, 12:42 »
I've enabled Anti-Alias, but the fonts don't seem to be anti-aliased. Only on the dialogs GUI they are Anti-Alised. During conversations or even in a GUI taht uses the description module, they are not anti-alised.

See pictures below to understand what I'm saying
Image 01
Image 02
Image 03

Re: Text Anti-alias
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2006, 12:51 »
Antialiasing doesn't work on GUIs or overlays without backgrounds (or backgrounds with transparent areas). For that reason LucasArts speech isn't antialiased either since it uses overlays.

Edit: It would actually be possible to do a workaround using the DynamicSprits function by creating a text background from a screenshot.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2006, 12:53 by GarageGothic »

« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2006, 14:07 »
A question then. Why the dialogs options are Anti-alised?

If you see Image 02, you will see that the dialog options are Anti-alised. The dialog options are in a GUI with transparent background.

But on other images, the Fonts are not Anti-alised.

Strange??

« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2006, 14:32 »
You're right, this is something I wasn't aware of since I've always been using custom GUIs for my dialog options. I just checked it in my own game, and it seems that the default dialog options display does antialias while if you use your own transparent GUI it doesnt.

I assume this is something CJ could implement because nothing can animate while the dialog options are displayed.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2006, 15:55 »
I'm using my own GUI which is completly transparent.

SSH

• Flying round the world at the speed of haggis
    • I can help with scripting
    • SSH worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • SSH worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2006, 15:59 »
Do you mean it has a sprite as BG which has transparent areas, or you have the BG colour of the GUI set to 0?

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2006, 17:45 »
I've the BG Colour of the GUI set to 0.

Scorpiorus

• 100101101010b
    • Scorpiorus worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Scorpiorus worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2006, 23:08 »
Yep, it seems a custom dialog options GUI works just fine.

By the way...

Quote from:  AGS v2.55 changes:
- Fixed anti-aliased fonts causing problems with dialog options.

« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2006, 15:28 »
Do you know if this is going to be solved for the text using Lucas Arts style games?

« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2006, 15:42 »
Although it's only recently been added to the tracker, I think it's a long-standing request, so my guess is: Not anytime soon.

However, I couldn't find any replies by CJ on the subject, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to post a suggestion in the Tech forum again to get his input (or a moderator could move this thread there).