AGS 3.0.2 Final 2 - Credit Crunch Edition

Started by Pumaman, Mon 28/04/2008 18:22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

Gold Dragon I think the problem here is that the cursor is being reset to eModeWait every single loop, so it never gets a chance to animate. Maybe the best option here would be to manually animate it by keeping track of the current graphic with an int variable and then using mouse.ChangeModeGraphic.

Ghost

I just downloaded and installed- and can't run 3.0.2! I get the error message about "application not being able to run..." that I once got when I installed 3.0 on a computer without Net2- but this time, I have Net 2 installed, 3.0.1 runs flawlessly, and so I am a bit baffled.

Shocked, for sure.

After I click away the error message, the welcome screen stays on my desktop, too, without any sign of AGS running. Clever lad that I am, I tried to copy the 0.2 files into my 0.1 folder to see what happens- the very same error message, the very same sticky welcome screen.

So, Chris, I am a numbers maniac. I cannot LIVE without only the LATEST, FRESHEST AGS version on my computer. What am I doing wrong, and how to fix it?

Lt. Smash

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Fri 23/05/2008 06:16:15
Gold Dragon I think the problem here is that the cursor is being reset to eModeWait every single loop, so it never gets a chance to animate. Maybe the best option here would be to manually animate it by keeping track of the current graphic with an int variable and then using mouse.ChangeModeGraphic.
yes that's what I did. And the problem is exactly as you said.

lemmy101

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 23/05/2008 06:42:07
I just downloaded and installed- and can't run 3.0.2! I get the error message about "application not being able to run..." that I once got when I installed 3.0 on a computer without Net2- but this time, I have Net 2 installed, 3.0.1 runs flawlessly, and so I am a bit baffled.

Doesn't 3.0.2 need .NET 3.5?

TwinMoon

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 23/05/2008 06:42:07
I get the error message about "application not being able to run..." that I once got when I installed 3.0 on a computer without Net2- but this time, I have Net 2 installed, 3.0.1 runs flawlessly, and so I am a bit baffled.

Sounds like you have the same problem I did.

The solution on my computer was to install 3.5. You can remove it afterwards, I'm running it with only 2.0 now.

Pumaman

QuoteIt must have. It's pretty weird.
I installed the dotnet framework when AGS 3.0 was released - I don't use it for anything else. I definitely didn't fidget with it. I "repaired" 3.0 which according to Microsoft resets it. AGS 3.0.1 didn't work.

But after I installed 3.5 I could remove 3.5 AND 3.0 and RC 1 still works.
Maybe I didn't do the full installation the last time or something.

Ok, I've finally figured out what was causing some people to get that error message on startup (it involves WinSxS and VC++ CRT distribution, nasty stuff).

I'll include a fix in the next release.

QuoteI mean that the general definitions dropdown in the script window only lists basic functions. Any extender function such as  "function FloodFill(this DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int color, bool outline)" won't be in the list

Thanks, I'll look into this.

QuoteWhen I use the code 'while (!WaitMouseKey(1)) {}' I get a wait cursor but it doesn't animate. But when there is a function that has eBlocking like 'player.walk(4,6,eBlock);' it does animate

As monkey_05_06 says, this is because you keep restarting the wait animation by using (1). Try something like this instead:

while (!WaitMouseKey(1000)) {}

QuoteI just downloaded and installed- and can't run 3.0.2! I get the error message about "application not being able to run..." that I once got when I installed 3.0 on a computer without Net2- but this time, I have Net 2 installed, 3.0.1 runs flawlessly, and so I am a bit baffled.

I presume the error was the same as the one GrogGames and TwinMoon reported? If so as I've mentioned above, I'll include a fix in the next release.

QuoteDoesn't 3.0.2 need .NET 3.5?

As I said earlier, AGS only requires .NET 2.0. However, when you install 3.5 it happens to also install a newer version of the VC80CRT files which makes this problem go away. Therefore it is a valid workaround.

Please don't all go and install 3.5 though, because I'll include a fix for this in the next version and I'll need somebody to still be having the problem in order to test if it's fixed!!! :)

kookaburra

I noticed something in the demo game that I'm not sure if it's a demo game or 302 rc1 problem.

I've just installed 302rc1 (fresh install of AGS on a PC), and started the demo game. Reducing the music volume right down does not turn off the music, shouldn't it turn it off? Also, the main volume slider doesn't do anything. Hopefully someone who has had more than 5 minutes experience with AGS can tell whether it's a AGS or an implementation issue.

Sorry if it's actually an implementation shortfall.

freshpaint

3.0.2 rc1 bug

more alpha channel stuff (sorry!)

SOLVED, SORTA (by reimporting sprites -- see below) BUG 1:
All the buttons I created with 3.01 and saved without an alpha channel to use on the iconbar show up differently than the button I created with 3.02.  When I set the background of the iconbar to a plain 30%  transparency stored as a sprite and assigned to the background image in the gui properties panel, the buttons (aka sprites) created under 3.01 gray out correctly (under "classic" mode ONLY), the one saved under 3.02 doesn't.  It appears full color.  (FYI I can't make "additive" mode work with the icon bar at all right now.) (I am using 32 bit color, 800 x 600 mode).

SOLVED!(my stupidity) BUG 2:
Also, since I don't want to save a huge transparency as a sprite, I wanted to use a dynamic sprite to resize it.  I put the following in game_start():

DynamicSprite *icon_sprite = DynamicSprite.CreateFromExistingSprite(85, true); //85 is slot for the transparency sprite
icon_sprite.Resize(800, 60);
gIconbar.BackgroundGraphic = icon_sprite.Graphic;

When I run, the only thing that shows up is a blue cup in the upper left corner at 0,0 with my buttons floating on 100% transparency.

I've moved this code around all over, but can't seem to get rid of the blue cup. The dynamic sprite is being created and being assigned a slot number (I can display it, and in all other ways it acts like a normal dynamic sprite) -- so why can't I use it as a background?

As to the button, this is the first button I've saved under 3.02, so am wondering what's up.  I can see no difference in properties, size, or characteristics in any of the properties panels.

GarageGothic

freshpaint: I believe the reason you're getting a bluecup is that you declare DynamicSprite *icon_sprite inside game_start. That means as soon as the function has finished running, the DynamicSprite is deleted. Instead, declare:

Code: ags
DynamicSprite* icon_sprite;
outside the function (e.g. at the top of the global script), and then in the game_start, you set:

Code: ags
icon_sprite = DynamicSprite.CreateFromExistingSprite(85, true);

That way the DynamicSprite pointer should remain managed and not turn into a bluecup.

freshpaint

garage:  you are exactly right.

face is red.  I just copied lines from the manual without thinking.  Cup disappears, but other problems still remain for me.  Will continue investigating.

UPDATE: button problem -- solved, sorta.  Reimported my pre-3.02 sprites and so appears to work under both classic and additive modes -- had to goose down the transparency level a lot on the new button and resave so they're all even.  I'm not wild about how result fits in with my overall game design now -- but that's a completely different issue!

UPDATE2: Iconbar works fine, but can't make text gui corners go transparent in either additive or classic mode using same sprites that work on the icon bar, with sprite imported pre 3.02 or in 3.02.  With background 0, backgroundgraphic set to my transparent sprite, center shows up exactly the same way (completely transparent) regardless of render mode.  Corners show up black.  So very confused.

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 23/05/2008 19:59:43
Please don't all go and install 3.5 though, because I'll include a fix for this in the next version and I'll need somebody to still be having the problem in order to test if it's fixed!!! :)

Agreed, I'll keep my 2.0-ness state then, and report back should the fix work. I'm very curious about the new dialog stuff!

Electroshokker

I thought it was a good idea to review some of my game's dialogs, so I tried to create a voice acting script.

Next thing I know, I get the following error:

Unknown character name: layer

Now, I use player.Say() a lot in my game, so I believe it's related to that.

I suspect since player isn't defined as a character, the export script blocks on it. Maybe you could define player as an internal character named "player"?

(and no, there's no layer.Say anywhere in my code)

Pumaman

QuoteI've just installed 302rc1 (fresh install of AGS on a PC), and started the demo game. Reducing the music volume right down does not turn off the music, shouldn't it turn it off? Also, the main volume slider doesn't do anything. Hopefully someone who has had more than 5 minutes experience with AGS can tell whether it's a AGS or an implementation issue.

Yeah the "main volume" slider is confusingly named, it's actually the Digital Volume slider, and since the music is MIDI music it doesn't have any effect on it. It should adjust the volume of sound effects, though.

QuoteUPDATE2: Iconbar works fine, but can't make text gui corners go transparent in either additive or classic mode using same sprites that work on the icon bar, with sprite imported pre 3.02 or in 3.02.  With background 0, backgroundgraphic set to my transparent sprite, center shows up exactly the same way (completely transparent) regardless of render mode.  Corners show up black.  So very confused.

Could you post a screenshot or sample game of the problem you're having, it's quite hard to understand from a text description.

QuoteAgreed, I'll keep my 2.0-ness state then, and report back should the fix work. I'm very curious about the new dialog stuff!

Ok, please could you try RC 2. Hopefully this should fix the crash some people have been getting on startup.

QuoteNext thing I know, I get the following error:

Unknown character name: layer

Thanks for spotting this, it should be fixed in RC 2.

freshpaint

Thank you SO much for fixing the "exclude rooms" problem -- the exe lost more than half its weight, so have uploaded a smaller version of the Darkdevil County demo (check the in production thread for more details).

Will try to come up with a simple example of my "corners" problem soon.

Gold Dragon

ok I have a very simple request that I believe should be very easy to implement.

I'm trying to make an On Off button. and I would like to be able to change the image of the button to On and Off graphics. But 'Button::Graphic' is read-only. Could you make this a get and set function like you have for so many other functions?
Want to see how I am doing and how far I've gotten in my game? Visit my forum  http://www.freepowerboards.com/DragonKnight

SSH

freshpaint

The assorted snippets below show the following: the transparent (30% blue) alpha png I'm using (easier to see than just black).  I imported it using "entire" and alpha channel today, with 3.02RC2, as sprite 84.  I assigned sprite 84 to GUI4 background image and the same sprite to each of the corners. The result -- a completely transparent center of the gui, and opaque expanded borders.  It looks the same whether compiled in "classic" or "additive" mode.

Here is the png itself, if you need to grab it: (it's 8 pixels wide, reported as 4 pixels in the editor).

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear earlier. 

Gold Dragon

Ahhh ok Thx SSH  *scratches head*  ;D ;D *quickly makes his exit trying not to look too stupid* LOL
Want to see how I am doing and how far I've gotten in my game? Visit my forum  http://www.freepowerboards.com/DragonKnight

Dualnames

Well this is for the already dowloadable via Download AGS page. Ags version 3.01 rar file. Ok I downloaded it opened the game via  it and guess what. Well it doesn;t work. What changes so much between two versions(I use ags 3.0) that actually don't allow me to click.

More info:
In my game you click on the screen(very first room) and a gui pops up.
This actually never failed to work right.

So then i open it using AGS 3.01 and nope can't interpret mouse clicks..
So?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

GarageGothic

Argh, when I create a new View folder in the latest AGS version, I cannot rename it nor view the content. Whenever I try I get this error:

QuoteError: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'.
Version: AGS 3.0.2.40

System.Exception: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'.
   at AGS.Editor.Components.ViewsComponent.ProjectTree_OnAfterLabelEdit(String commandID, ProjectTreeItem treeItem)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.AfterLabelEditHandler.Invoke(String commandID, ProjectTreeItem treeItem)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_AfterLabelEdit(Object sender, NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_AfterLabelEdit(Object sender, NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterLabelEdit(NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnEndLabelEdit(NMTVDISPINFO nmtvdi)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Edit: It seems that the new folder doesn't have a number either. At least none visible, and it is moved to the top of the list. Also, I can rename already existing folders without problems.

Edit 2: I came across another, unrelated problem while testing the wonderful new lipsync feature of Smiley's audio manager plugin. There seems to be a timing issue in AGS when using Pamela lipsync (unsupported feature, I know, but I thought I might as well mention it) with mp3 files (encoded in Audacity using LAME 3.97 codec). When using .wav and .ogg files, everything works fine. But when using .mp3 format, the playback framerate of the animation drops to 3-4 fps (actual game framerate never dips below 40). This happens even when using a  copy of the .pam file which works great for .ogg and .wav format. Perhaps the millisecond timings are somehow retrieved incorrectly from the .mp3 file, or maybe some are being skipped?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk