AGS 3.0.2 Final 2 - Credit Crunch Edition

Started by Pumaman, Mon 28/04/2008 18:22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

QuoteThe assorted snippets below show the following: the transparent (30% blue) alpha png I'm using (easier to see than just black).  I imported it using "entire" and alpha channel today, with 3.02RC2, as sprite 84.  I assigned sprite 84 to GUI4 background image and the same sprite to each of the corners. The result -- a completely transparent center of the gui, and opaque expanded borders.  It looks the same whether compiled in "classic" or "additive" mode.

Ah ok thanks, I'm not sure whether alpha transparency works with text windows -- I'll look into it.

QuoteMore info:
In my game you click on the screen(very first room) and a gui pops up.
This actually never failed to work right.

So then i open it using AGS 3.01 and nope can't interpret mouse clicks..

Uh ... can you provide more information or post an example? I'm really not sure what you're saying here.

QuoteArgh, when I create a new View folder in the latest AGS version, I cannot rename it nor view the content. Whenever I try I get this error:

Thanks for spotting that, looks like the bug got introduced with RC1. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteThere seems to be a timing issue in AGS when using Pamela lipsync (unsupported feature, I know, but I thought I might as well mention it) with mp3 files (encoded in Audacity using LAME 3.97 codec). When using .wav and .ogg files, everything works fine. But when using .mp3 format, the playback framerate of the animation drops to 3-4 fps (actual game framerate never dips below 40). This happens even when using a  copy of the .pam file which works great for .ogg and .wav format. Perhaps the millisecond timings are somehow retrieved incorrectly from the .mp3 file, or maybe some are being skipped?

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, I seem to remember this being reported before. It's because the MP3 decoder decodes a (for example) 0.25 second chunk of audio and then plays it, so AGS can only get the current position to the nearest 0.25 seconds.

There's no realistic fix for this, other than moving to OGG instead.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 03/06/2008 20:39:00There's no realistic fix for this, other than moving to OGG instead.

I see, no problem then, OGG is the superior format anyway. It should be mentioned in the Pamela section of the help file though. I would never have figured it out without trying all formats.

Dualnames

Chris, guess. I've messed it up. Well, there's a part at global script header that does this *////

i had this in my header above it */
In AGS 3.0 it didn;t get commented hoever in AGS 3.01 you changed into */ i guess so it gets commented and all the global script doesn;t work. So I fixed it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Hmm would you be able to upload the script that caused that? I'd like to be able to check it to see whether 3.0 or 3.0.1 is functioning correctly.

Ghost

Just a quick note- new version works fine! Thanks CJ!

Pumaman

monkey0506

As best I can tell this is a recent bug, but I can't verify which version of AGS it began occurring in. Of course it could be argued that $AUTOCOMPLETEIGNORE$ was never intended for general consumption, but it has been presented as a method of making autocomplete ignore things like struct members. If I try to ignore a member function I get the following error:

QuoteError: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
Version: AGS 3.0.2.40

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at AGS.Editor.AutoComplete.ConstructCache(Script scriptToCache, Boolean isBackgroundThread)
   at AGS.Editor.ScriptEditor.SaveChanges()
   at AGS.Editor.Components.ScriptsComponent.BeforeSaveGame()
   at AGS.Editor.ComponentController.NotifyAboutToSaveGame()
   at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController._agsEditor_PreSaveGame(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreSaveGameHandler.Invoke(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.SaveGameFiles()
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Following the error I actually got the code to compile, but then when I saved and reopened my game I got the same error and AGS exited. The Game.agf.bak file made no difference since the offending line was in one of the scripts. I only managed to save the project by manually editing the AGF file in Wordpad, removing the script, then pasting the lines back in one at a time to find the offender.

I'll be limiting the module to 3.0.2 anyway for other reasons so I can use an extender method instead, but I thought I'd let you know.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Another new bug.  When I try to create a new folder in the view list I get this message:

QuoteError: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'.
Version: AGS 3.0.2.39

System.Exception: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'AGS.Types.ViewFolder' to type 'AGS.Types.View'.
   at AGS.Editor.Components.ViewsComponent.ProjectTree_OnAfterLabelEdit(String commandID, ProjectTreeItem treeItem)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.AfterLabelEditHandler.Invoke(String commandID, ProjectTreeItem treeItem)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_AfterLabelEdit(Object sender, NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_AfterLabelEdit(Object sender, NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterLabelEdit(NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnEndLabelEdit(NMTVDISPINFO nmtvdi)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

It still allows me to create folders but I get the message again when I try to rename them.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 04/06/2008 20:20:56
Hmm would you be able to upload the script that caused that? I'd like to be able to check it to see whether 3.0 or 3.0.1 is functioning correctly.

Well,ok here have it:
global script header version 3.0

/*
*/
////*Int_Global variable..gibber gibber

global script header version 3.01

/*
*/
/*Int_Global variable..gibber gibber

So you notice that with the /* the whole global script gets commented accidentally.
That's why the mouse clicks weren't working..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Another issue after creating a new 320x240x16 bit project in 3.0.2.39:

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/weird.gif

I get these weird room dimensions before even loading a room (618x209?).  When I load a 320x240 background it doesn't resize the room to fit it, either.

Another issue I've noticed is that the room coordinates screw up when you zoom.  Each zoom level seems to alter them by some value.  For instance, at 1x zoom the lower right corner is 618x210.  At 2x zoom it's 337x210, 3x is 229x199 and so on.

I also noticed (and I might be wrong) but suddenly, if you have a music0 file you cannot prevent rooms from playing it.  All my rooms were set at 0 by default (off) but they played the music anyway.  I even tried setting it to -1 and that didn't alter it, so I tested it by changing the filename to music1 and it stopped playing.

I pretty much have to revert back to an earlier build.

Pumaman

QuoteAs best I can tell this is a recent bug, but I can't verify which version of AGS it began occurring in. Of course it could be argued that $AUTOCOMPLETEIGNORE$ was never intended for general consumption, but it has been presented as a method of making autocomplete ignore things like struct members. If I try to ignore a member function I get the following error:

Thanks for spotting this, I'll get it fixed.

QuoteAnother new bug.  When I try to create a new folder in the view list I get this message:

Thanks -- though this has already been reported and will be fixed for the next version.

Quote/*
*/
////*Int_Global variable..gibber gibber

global script header version 3.01

/*
*/
/*Int_Global variable..gibber gibber

So you notice that with the /* the whole global script gets commented accidentally.
That's why the mouse clicks weren't working..

Which of these was causing the problem? The first one works fine for me with 3.0.2, and the second one comments out the rest of the script as expected?

QuoteAnother issue after creating a new 320x240x16 bit project in 3.0.2.39:

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/weird.gif

I get these weird room dimensions before even loading a room (618x209?).  When I load a 320x240 background it doesn't resize the room to fit it, either.

This looks normal to me -- it's just that the displayed co-ordinates aren't constrained to the size of the room, so if you move the mouse past the edge of the room area you'll get that. I think it's been like that all along in v3.0, but I can see that it could be confusing so I'll change it to not display co-ordinates if they're outside the room area.

QuoteI also noticed (and I might be wrong) but suddenly, if you have a music0 file you cannot prevent rooms from playing it

Music 0 is automatically played when you start the game. This has always been the case in AGS -- if you don't want it, then just don't name any music as Music 0.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteI think it's been like that all along in v3.0

The coordinates maybe, but not the size of the room area itself.  I only recently switched from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 and I never had this:

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/waytoowide.gif

The image at the left side of the room is 320x240, and this is a brand new empty game created in the latest AGS at 320x240x16.  Additionally, whenever I create rooms they start at a zoom factor of 2 rather than 1.  Neither of these happen in 3.0.1, and hopefully this image will clear this up.

G33K

Hi folks. Newcomer question here. I'm having trouble running AGS 3.0.2 RC1. When I try to start the program, it aborts after the splash screen with the following error message:

An unexpected error occurred trying to start up the AGS Editor. Please consult the details below and post the error to the AGS Technical Forum.

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
File name: 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
  at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy..ctor()
  at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController..ctor()
  at AGS.Editor.Program.startupTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WindProc(Message& m)

I am running Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 SP2. I am pretty confident that I have purged any previous AGS versions from the system. When I reinstall AGS 3.0.1 it runs smoothly.

I have tried to run AGS 3.0.2 RC1 on another machine with a different version of XP Professional, where I got the same error. I've searched the forums and this thread, but couldn't find anything related to this problem. I am new to AGS, however. Did I miss something out?

(If this is not the right thread, please move/remove this post.)

Pumaman

QuoteThe coordinates maybe, but not the size of the room area itself.  I only recently switched from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 and I never had this:

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/waytoowide.gif

I think the background colour outside of the room area might have changed from grey to black as a result of a fix for something, I'll see if I can change it back so that it's more obvious where the actual room area is.

Quote from: G33K on Sun 08/06/2008 20:11:52
Hi folks. Newcomer question here. I'm having trouble running AGS 3.0.2 RC1. When I try to start the program, it aborts after the splash screen with the following error message:

This was a bug in RC 1 and is fixed in RC 2.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Alright then, I apologize.  I was sure it was some sort of bug due to the abnormally large area and the coordinates going well beyond my actual room size :).

I would say that I don't remember ever having an issue with music0 always playing in older versions, though; in fact, to quote the tool-tip:

QuoteIf non-zero, this music number will be played when the player enters the room.

I definitely think it should work how the tool-tip explains it should, though in this case it would have to play the current number entered - 1. 

Pumaman

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 08/06/2008 23:42:38
I would say that I don't remember ever having an issue with music0 always playing in older versions, though; in fact, to quote the tool-tip:

If non-zero, this music number will be played when the player enters the room.

This correctly describes the behaviour. It's not you entering the room that causes Music 0 to play -- it is played automatically just before game_start runs when the game starts up. It's nothing to do with you entering any particular room, and if you used PlayMusic(5) or something, then entered that room, it wouldn't switch back to Music 0.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Dualnames

Found a bug with AGS 3.02 RC 2..
Well, if you create an empty game and then import a sprite(empty sprite with transparency on) replacing sprite 0 and crop its edges then save quit and try to open it you get a line of errors something to do about that sprite dimension. Try and recreate it.

Pumaman

Thanks for spotting that -- if you try to Crop a totally transparent sprite the editor gets confused.

This is now fixed in the Final release, which is now available.
Barring any major bugs, this should become the official release of 3.0.2 in a few days time.

Electroshokker

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 10/06/2008 21:38:15
Thanks for spotting that -- if you try to Crop a totally transparent sprite the editor gets confused.

This is now fixed in the Final release, which is now available.
Barring any major bugs, this should become the official release of 3.0.2 in a few days time.

Since I didn't spot it in the release notes, I thought I might mention that SCUMM VERBCOIN GUI v1.5.4 has been up a while now; You might want to include the updated template  ;)

Great job with all the improvements and fixes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk