AGS 3.1.0 Final - World's Heaviest Bridegroom Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sat 05/07/2008 23:21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent R

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 27/10/2008 00:06:28
For those of you who haven't tried 3.1 yet, please do so now -- especially if you have a hi-res game.
Past experience with 3.0.2 was that everybody avoided using the new version until it was made Final, at which point a few serious bugs were discovered. So, please try this now so that we can get the bugs fixed before you start to rely on it as an official release :)

Since you asked, I tried it out my game with 3.1 and it compiled fine. Granted however, that my game is very simple at this point(although 32-bit and 640x400). But it's one more feedback for you.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Pumaman

QuoteA test game of mine (640x480) compiled without any problems, and overall I really like the way 3.1 works...
QuoteSince you asked, I tried it out my game with 3.1 and it compiled fine. Granted however, that my game is very simple at this point(although 32-bit and 640x400). But it's one more feedback for you.

Thanks for the feedback.

QuoteThe Tip Of The Day however, useful as it is, got lost on me because I disabled the start page... would a popup-window not be more traditional? You know, one of those with the "don't show tips at startup" checkboxes?

I did think about that, but those Tip Of The Day popup windows are really annoying, and most people just close them straight away out of frustration. It seems more user-friendly to include the tip on the start page -- though in a future version perhaps I'll add a menu option to show the start page, if you've disabled it from startup.

QuoteI created a small command that just gets an integer and removes the - if it is contained

Some sort of Maths.Abs function is certainly a possibility for a future version of AGS, but as it's so easy to do by hand it's not a priority.

QuoteIf I set the value of a new enum to the value of an existing one, autocomplete seems to be picking up both instances of the existing enum:

Thanks, this should now be fixed.

Anyway, 3.1 Final is now up. It's the installer-based version since this is a final release. Please try it out and make sure there aren't any serious problems. Assuming all goes well and no bugs are found in the next few days, I'll make the RAR version and upload it all to the main website and make it official.

DoorKnobHandle

With 3.1 Final, when I load the demo game, run it and start a dialog, I can erase the black background with the mouse cursor!

Apart from that it seemed fine.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 31/10/2008 12:18:52Some sort of Maths.Abs function is certainly a possibility for a future version of AGS, but as it's so easy to do by hand it's not a priority.

Could you please confirm if there is a chance that float rounding issues could make "if (value < 0.0)" return true for a positive float? 

Pumaman

QuoteWith 3.1 Final, when I load the demo game, run it and start a dialog, I can erase the black background with the mouse cursor!

Thanks, looks like there's a bug there with 8-bit games. I'll look into it.

QuoteCould you please confirm if there is a chance that float rounding issues could make "if (value < 0.0)" return true for a positive float?

Well, AGS uses standard IEEE 32-bit floating point numbers. There's a good page here that explains them:
http://www.cygnus-software.com/papers/comparingfloats/comparingfloats.htm
but basically the possible floating point values around zero are:

-1.4012985e-045
+0.0
+1.4012985e-045

So the case you describe shouldn't be a problem. "if (value < 0.0)" should never return true for a positive number.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 31/10/2008 14:01:40So the case you describe shouldn't be a problem. "if (value < 0.0)" should never return true for a positive number.

Excellent news, thank you very much for the explanation.

freshpaint

RC2 fixes the "chopping off in character screen" problem I had that seemed to be related to 120 DPI setting.  Thanks!  I can see my character's feet for the first time!

Haven't had a chance to do a complete run thru of my hi-res game demo yet. Darkdevil County will rise again soon, I promise.

Electroshokker

using AGS 3.1.0 final:

I used to have 1 set of footstep sounds, tied to animating frames. Now, upon removing the footsteps sounds (all frames to sound 0), rebuilding all files and testing it out, I'm STILL hearing the footsteps?!?

EDIT:

after deleting all frames and re-importing the sprites to the view/loop, the footstep sounds finally were gone in the game;

OneDollar

I found a disastrous, horrific and game-breaking bug whereby the engine still displays "Winner: Best AGS of 2007" as one of the splash-screen messages. Other than that all seems to be working fine.

Dualnames

Okay, this might probably be me..or might not. I wasn't planning to post this because it just occured once. However, I've managed to reproduce it 3 times. Almost killed my pc. Anyway, I'm using 3.02 sp1 (RC 2 was just out)..so well, I opened my Starship Poseidon. I minimized it did a lot of things, photoshop, then maximized and pressed compile..blue screen something about driver ecc. Thing is I've never had this problem with HHGTG(3.02 sp1 as well), however I've been using media manager plugin..so is there a possibility that this causes the problem? My video card is fine, and I've never had a crash not even on Mass Effect...so just saying.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

QuoteI used to have 1 set of footstep sounds, tied to animating frames. Now, upon removing the footsteps sounds (all frames to sound 0), rebuilding all files and testing it out, I'm STILL hearing the footsteps?!?

after deleting all frames and re-importing the sprites to the view/loop, the footstep sounds finally were gone in the game;

Strange, has anyone else had a problem like this? I can't replicate it myself, do let me know if it happens again.

QuoteI found a disastrous, horrific and game-breaking bug whereby the engine still displays "Winner: Best AGS of 2007" as one of the splash-screen messages.

Why's that a bug ... has the award been withdrawn?  :'(

Quotewasn't planning to post this because it just occured once. However, I've managed to reproduce it 3 times. Almost killed my pc. Anyway, I'm using 3.02 sp1 (RC 2 was just out)..so well, I opened my Starship Poseidon. I minimized it did a lot of things, photoshop, then maximized and pressed compile..blue screen something about driver ecc.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but if you're having a Windows Blue Screen Of Death then that sounds like a driver problem, it's not something AGS can cause. Potentially the Media Manager plugin might be loading some sort of dodgy sound/video driver which could be causing the issue.

Anyway, I'm now closing this thread and will be opening a new one for the formal 3.1 Release instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk