AGS 3.2.1 Final 3 - Spring Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 09/01/2011 18:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

Quote from: Tarantula on Wed 23/03/2011 08:33:35
My apologies if this has already been brought up, but there's one thing that I'd really like to see fixed.

It's a problem with the Replace All function: If I search for, let's say "monkey", and I want to replace it with "banana", the word "banana" will pop up at the very beginning of each room script file that has been changed. This happens only when replacing words in the entire project.

I would find a lot of use for this function... If it was working properly, that is :)
Weird weird bug, and I'm sure it wasn't there at the beginning...
Anyways, thanks for your report, I checked in a fix into the dev branch.

CRxTRDude

Can there be an AGS Editor portable that can be used in a flash drive? I'm sure that I'm gonna be using that. I'm always on the go from school so I wanted to have spare time using AGS. but problem is internet cafes always restrict setups.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE
Comic book artist/blogger/dude/and now game maker...

monkey0506

I've never used or indeed been to an internet cafe (being as I live out in the woods :=), but do they restrict all write access to the local drives? Coz you could hypothetically copy the files to a temporary directory (say in the My Documents folder), work on the files, then when you're done, copy them back to the flash drive, and delete the temporary files.

Of course I am doubtful that this would actually be viable as internet cafes would probably be too worried about people installing viruses, so they probably wouldn't allow you any write access to the local drive (other than that inherently incurred by the already installed programs like temporary internet files and such).

Calin Leafshade

The AGS editor will work from a flash drive just fine as it is.

Although it does try to write to the registry which some setups may complain about.

Pumaman

QuoteWeird weird bug, and I'm sure it wasn't there at the beginning...
Anyways, thanks for your report, I checked in a fix into the dev branch.

Well spotted, might be a bug I introduced while changing the way the popup worked. Thanks for fixing it!

QuoteIf you change the name of any room, and then go to a character and select StartingRoom's drop down menu...it shows the names of the rooms before they were renamed.  The only way to change this is to close the program down and restart it.  It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.

Thanks, fixed in Final 3.

Final 3 is now up, which fixes the Find & Replace issue since that was quite important, and a couple of other minor things.

Now, this time hopefully if no other important issues are found this release can become official soon! There are no changes to the ACWIN engine in Final 3.

InCreator

Tiled sprite import is still quite a hassle. Or let's be honest, disgrace. Importing tiled sprites required loads and loads of trial and error, because AGS acts very unfriendly and every misclick is punished by forcing you to start over.

My suggestions:

* A dragged rectangle (for import) size to be seen somewhere! This way, you don't have to hunt for 0,0 pixel twice, which is absolute nightmare, especially with high pointer speed. Even better if you could manually enter frame size.

For example, Game Maker makes tiled sprite import absolute blast, you don't even have to use mouse for anything

* Ability to resize that whole window. Tilesheets tend to be huge, and it doesn't help if you can see only small portion of it, even with well-working scrollbars

Also on the issue,

* AGS could remember last sprite opened when you press "import sprite from a file" and also if "tiled sprite import" box is ticked

Sorry if this thread is not for suggestions

CRxTRDude

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 26/03/2011 05:00:37
The AGS editor will work from a flash drive just fine as it is.

Although it does try to write to the registry which some setups may complain about.

That's what I meant. I don't want programs that install in the registry. Icafes restrict installation because of the flagging of setup programs. So it's kind of a pain if that happens. I cant even install some programs (although the recent internet cafe that i went to is non restrictive about that, I'm still concerned.)

I would suggest something similar to what open source programs do, using ini's of cfg's instead of the registry; then putting those on the users folder to avoid User Control. Eg:

the ".scribus" is for the open source PDF creation utility, "Scribus" whic i use a lot especially in documentation. Inside are preferences for the program including some variables for the opening of files and stuff.

That could be a better alternative than registry IMO.

Quote from: InCreator on Sat 26/03/2011 18:03:43
My suggestions:

* A dragged rectangle (for import) size to be seen somewhere! This way, you don't have to hunt for 0,0 pixel twice, which is absolute nightmare, especially with high pointer speed. Even better if you could manually enter frame size.

* Ability to resize that whole window. Tilesheets tend to be huge, and it doesn't help if you can see only small portion of it, even with well-working scrollbars

Also on the issue,

* AGS could remember last sprite opened when you press "import sprite from a file" and also if "tiled sprite import" box is ticked

Seconded. I have Game maker too. It'll be very useful at AGS.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE

Pumaman

Quote from: InCreator on Sat 26/03/2011 18:03:43
Tiled sprite import is still quite a hassle. Or let's be honest, disgrace. Importing tiled sprites required loads and loads of trial and error, because AGS acts very unfriendly and every misclick is punished by forcing you to start over.

This sounds like a nice idea, but can we keep it to a separate thread please, and concentrate this thread on the 3.2.1 release?

QuoteThat's what I meant. I don't want programs that install in the registry. Icafes restrict installation because of the flagging of setup programs. So it's kind of a pain if that happens. I cant even install some programs (although the recent internet cafe that i went to is non restrictive about that, I'm still concerned.)

I would suggest something similar to what open source programs do, using ini's of cfg's instead of the registry; then putting those on the users folder to avoid User Control. Eg:

Have you actually had a problem running AGS in these scenarios?
AGS only writes to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the registry which does not require any special privileges. If you use the plain RAR install then you don't need to run an installer which means you can install the AGS Editor without having main registry access.

CRxTRDude

@Pumaman

Well, what does the installer write on? I think I could make a portable version of it. I got experience on making a portable installer...

In fact, I think the rar's nice. But as long as 3.2.1 is still in a setup exe, I'll make some portable for that...
~CRxTRDUDE

Sslaxx

I'm not sure if this is a bug as such, but I've noticed that auto-outlining text isn't working quite right with Final3.

I set the talking font (1) to use one of the Ubuntu family of Truetype fonts, with an auto-generated outline. The text colour doesn't look like it is "filling in" properly using this.

http://sslaxx.twu.net/NotFillingText.png and zoomed in to show more detail - http://sslaxx.twu.net/ZoomedInFaultyText.png - particularly noticeable on the 'l' and 'o'. There also appear to be "artifacts" around the outlined text - could this be an (anti-)aliasing issue?

No outlining appears to work as expected.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Calin Leafshade

Yea, the outline feature only outlines the un anti-aliased version of the text and then the text is anti aliased under it causing gaps.

The outline feature will need to be rewritten entirely I think to work with anti aliased fonts.

hedgefield

Quote from: CRxTRDude on Sat 26/03/2011 03:50:56
Can there be an AGS Editor portable that can be used in a flash drive?

When a zipped version of the current engine is lacking, what I generally do is just install AGS the regular way, copy the whole folder to somewhere else (and also remove the two files in there related to the uninstaller), then deinstall the official install again. What I'm then left with is a copy of the AGS folder that works without having to install anything. Additionally I then put that folder in Dropbox so I can access it from anywhere. I've never had a problem running AGS that way.

Ishmael

On the subject of distribution, I'd prefer a zip to a rar since zips are more universally openable still as far as I've understood, and that makes rars a chore for some, but it doesn't go the other way. And I don't suppose filesize is an issue anymore, as the compression difference is not that huge. Or am I completely missing something here?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

monkey0506

When your internet connection is as slow and intermittent as my home connection is (tethered through a phone which gets bad reception in a trailer with a metal roof), the difference in filesize isn't insignificant.

Any decent archive program works with RAR archives, and anybody who's using Windows to open ZIP files can use the installer for all I'm concerned.

Joe

Don't know if this is a bug or just an error in my scripting...
but this code hangs and I think it shouldn't:

Code: ags

AudioChannel *intr= aIntriga.Play();
  while(fondo.Volume!=0){
    fondo.Volume-=2;
    Wait(1);
    intr.Volume=100;//This line makes the loop hang...
  }

fondo is an audio channel defined in global script and it's properly exported and imported and it's continuously playing music.
There are no more Audio Channels playing nevertheless fondo and intr are assigned the same audio channel... that's why the loop hangs and I don't know how to solve this...

Thanks
Copinstar © Oficial Site

monkey0506

If fondo.Volume has an initial value that is an odd number, then subtracting 2 each loop would cause it to loop well beyond the 150,000 loops used to detect scripting errors, since the condition fondo.Volume!=0 would be true..that's probably more likely why it's hanging. Try <=0 instead of !=0.

Joe

fondo intial volume is 100 and as I said intr is assigned the same memory direction as fondo because when fondo.volume is 0 I can't hear aIntriga that is being played in intr channel...
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Pumaman

We'd need to see more of your code to understand the problem. Is "fondo" definitely still playing at the time? If it's a music channel (where only 1 simultaneous audioclip is allowed) then the new one would end up on the same channel as the old one.

If you haven't solved this please post a separate thread about it, I don't think this is related to the 3.2.1 release.
Speaking of which, I'm now going to make it an official release so this thread is closed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk