AGS 3.2 Final 5 - Recession-busting edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 03/05/2009 15:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Twelve

I think it's because the game is no longer running in 640x480 mode, but in 320x240 with a x2 filter.  I could be wrong.  If there was a way to turn on double resolution fonts in newer versions of the editor, I'd do a back flip or something else equally impressive.

Dualnames

See? Now we made Vince sad! And that made me sad too. Well, I moved HHGTG from 2.72 to 3.1.2 on a timespan of 2 years and it carried and created some AGS engine bugs, that went fixed. I also carried Downfall from 2.72 to 3.1.2 and apart from some minor annoyances I was really glad this was still possible. My vote goes to keep backwards compatibility always up.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AdamM

Jesus Christ, why is there no Undo button in the Dialog editor? I had to restart the editor to correct my horrific mistake, and if I'd saved at any point it would have all gone permanently.

Calin Leafshade

since it's a text editor, ctrl z should work just fine.

SSH

Any serious projets should use AGS's revision control integration.

AdamM

Quote from: SSH on Fri 11/06/2010 05:45:01
Any serious projets should use AGS's revision control integration.
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Snarky

Any serious programming project should use revision control. Obviously.

SSH

As I've never done any serious projects (with AGS or even Windows) ;) I've not actually got any experience of setting up the revision control, though. If anyone has done this, it might be useful to give a HOWTO for setting up CVS or Subversion or something for AGS use, from scratch.

lawon

I cant be arsed to read through 22 pages right now, so im sorry if this was already pointed out, but i was told to report here about the "IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs" feature, that it should make the timeout at the beginning of the text being displayed , and not after it, cos otherwise it would come after the last line of text also, so there would be a delay in returning the control back to the player. Thanks, ill go back to my beer now if you dont mind.

Calin Leafshade

I would also very much like a revision control HOWTO

subspark

ShiverMeSideways

Hey, guys, I dunno if this is still an issue or if it's been mentioned or not. I'm using AGS 3.1 and it seems that whenever I use the mouse wheel (more by accident), the cursor disappears!

Any way to fix this? Maybe people who've never played an AGS game don't know about its lack of mouse wheel in-game integration and won't know to not use it...

Just sayin'.

Gilbert

I've not checked yet, but I think there are some codes in handling the mouse wheel in the default Global Script, in which it is used to cycle through the mouse modes. You may try to disable that part of the codes if they're not welcomed.

Pumaman

QuoteMy impression - and I have no idea if this is correct - is that CJ, like most of us who started using AGS during our teens or early twenties, has gotten caught up in real world obligations that take a priority over hobby programming (as they should).

This is pretty much spot on, yes. But circumstances can change, and there are some periods when I have more time for AGS than others.

QuoteIf 2.7 worshippers want to use the old scriptings, well they can keep up using the old versions, from what I've seen, aside a couple of fix for newer OSes, do they really need more ? I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

We're not just talking old 2.7 games though, in the case of the audio system it is maintaining compatibility with the last official version (3.1.2) that is a lot of work.

QuoteI'm not sure exactly why it should be viewed as broken behavior rather than a bonus (and quite useful) feature that could just be toggled on/off in the editor (via a font property so you could potentially have low and hi res fonts), but oh well.

As Vince says, it's simply not technically possible, since the game is all running at 320x240. At the very last minute, it is then hardware-scaled up to 640x480 via a 2x filter; it's not possible to then go back and render the text at 640x480-resolution after this.

The quirk was only available in older versions of AGS because the game itself ran at 640x480 and AGS did its own custom software-mode scaling to scale all the sprites by 2x; this ability had to be removed to support hi-res co-ordinates in 3.1.

QuoteJesus Christ, why is there no Undo button in the Dialog editor? I had to restart the editor to correct my horrific mistake, and if I'd saved at any point it would have all gone permanently.

Are you talking a scripting mistake or creating/deleting the dialog itself? As Calin says, Ctrl+Z should work to Undo text in the dialog editor.

QuoteI cant be arsed to read through 22 pages right now, soI'm sorry if this was already pointed out, but i was told to report here about the "IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs" feature, that it should make the timeout at the beginning of the text being displayed , and not after it, cos otherwise it would come after the last line of text also, so there would be a delay in returning the control back to the player

This is not a bug, I have replied in your other thread.

QuoteHey, guys, I dunno if this is still an issue or if it's been mentioned or not. I'm using AGS 3.1 and it seems that whenever I use the mouse wheel (more by accident), the cursor disappears!

Any way to fix this? Maybe people who've never played an AGS game don't know about its lack of mouse wheel in-game integration and won't know to not use it...

As Gilbet says, there is some script in the on_mouse_Click function in the global script to handle the mouse wheel, you should check this and make sure it's doing what you want it to do.

monkey0506

The fact that there have been five attempts at a Final version and still no end in sight for AGS 3.2 is wonderful. Furthermore, lol. That is all. :=
(I'm allowed to do this ("troll") since I'm never around anymore)

subspark

xenogia

Realistically someone should lock this thread monkey_05_06.

Crimson Wizard

There's some sort of mistake in the script editor related to error message.

If you type something like
Code: ags

int [] myarray;

It will display "  '[' is already defined  ", which is a bit confusing in current context.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 10/06/2010 21:42:37
Yeah, it's a shame that went away.  It's also the reason why Dave Gilbert hasn't (and probably won't) upgrade to a new version.  I'm not sure exactly why it should be viewed as broken behavior rather than a bonus (and quite useful) feature that could just be toggled on/off in the editor (via a font property so you could potentially have low and hi res fonts), but oh well.

I actually have upgraded!  I'm still using 320 x 240 sized graphics, but I'm blowing them up to 640 x 480 before importing them into AGS.  It's a bit overkill, true, but I like having a low-res game with high-res fonts.  I didn't bother upgrading while making Blackwell Convergence because it would have involved a ton of reprogramming.  But for a totally new game?  Call me a convert.

subspark

Nice one Dave!!

How cool is AGS 3x! 8)

Sparky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk