AGS 3.3 Wishlist

Started by subspark, Tue 09/12/2008 03:34:03

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Another suggestion:

Ability to resize sprite import window or an alternative

When importing a tile sheet with "tiled sprite import", there's almost always need to zoom in a bit, to avoid sick pixel hunting, especially at high desktop resolutions...

And then, usually zoomed sheet does not fit into window, so I'd like very much to make window as big as possible.

There's scrollbars which appear in such case right now, but frankly, scrollbars suck. Especially since they don't autoscroll while I'm dragging my tile grid to export frames and move out of displayed sheet area. I want to see what I'm importing! So, again, if I could make this import window as big as possible, I could minimize need to scroll/cross the displayed area.

As an alternative, autoscrolling scrollbars would work.

For super improvement over this issue, there could be a hotkey to press, which would enlarge sprite sheet ALL OVER THE screen, removing everything non-needed for dragging the import grid and maybe have autoscrolling bars ALSO.

That would make it possible to use big sprite sheets at bigger zoom modes. But even ability to simply resize the window a bit would help greatly...

I hope it was descriptive enough? If not, I've included image to clarify a bit... click below.

www.increator.pri.ee/i/pull/drag.png

Khris

Until then, why don't you crop the sprite sheet and zoom out before selecting tiles?

InCreator

That was random sheet, just for show. Of course I crop them.

But zooming out might be tricky, because if there's more than 1 row of sprites (I usually try to put all animations of 1 entity (character, thing) onto one sheet, one row per one animation), it's difficult to pick tiles for 2nd+ row. Sure, there's a thingy that shows mouse coordinates, but with a highly sensitive auto-accelerating gaming mouse such as Razer Krait and desktop resolution of 1280x1024, it's crazy pixel hunt.

I didn't mean that problem is unsolvable or a bug, but it just makes sprite importing very uncomfortable to use. Since AGS3 has evolved into high-quality tool (compared to older versions), such nuisance feels out of place. I was kind of surprised that there's no way to stretch importing window - in typical windows application, every window can be stretched.

matt

please please please please please please please please make draw pixel faster.

what?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I noticed that with custom dialog rendering you can't, at present, mimic typical gui options like pushed button animations and such.  Would it be possible to add a function to the dialog_options set that is checked once per loop for updates?  That would make creating pushed button animations and so forth manageable, since right now the only time it updates the contents of the dialog gui is when you mouse over an option/click on an option.  This would also be useful for resetting the position of dialog options once it is closed.

Vince Twelve

I would like the ability to further customize the auto-number speech lines wizard.  Specifically, I would like:

-The option to number all un-numbered speech lines (instead of having it re number each time and probably screw up whatever speech files you've already made) and

-A way to define other strings to be auto numbered.  For example, if I have a custom speech function, like instead of character.Say() I use my own character.Speech() and character.Thought() functions.  Then I could tell the auto-numberer to also number any strings in my own functions.

Wonkyth

While this isn't really urgent, I'd like it if the error messages said the character, as well as the line, of a missing/unexpected thing.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Actually, thinking about the custom dialogs, couldn't you just make the dialogs work within the regular gui controls but add a new option like the text field that is purely for dialog option displays?  That way a person could very simply create a robust dialog display with arrows, buttons, and the like without needing the dialog_options functions at all. 

Just a thought?

Joe

This I'm gonna ask for is somethig I really need, cause it's driving me crazy...

At importing sprites it would be really heplful if you could choose more than one transparent color... so that you wont have any problem with colors when you import antialiased sprites...
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Matti

@Joe Carl:

When using 32-bit colors there's the possiblity to save the sprites with an alpha-channel which makes the transparency-problem obsolete. Plus it really looks good. Totally recommended for every hi-res game.

Joe

Oh I see ;D You can't figure out how happy I feel now, thanks matti, thanks CJ.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Khris

How about adding eEventQuitGame to take care of deleting DynamicSprites used in modules?

Wonkyth

Increasing the number of rooms would be nice, as I'm working on a Big adventure-RPG, and with 299 rooms, I'd be cutting it fine to fit all the stuff in.

Something in the four-digit domain would be good.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Khris

You can add more rooms, but the ones above 299 won't save their states. If you use numbers above 299 for rooms that contain just scenery, you can put all "important" rooms below 300.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 12/02/2009 12:52:05
Actually, thinking about the custom dialogs, couldn't you just make the dialogs work within the regular gui controls but add a new option like the text field that is purely for dialog option displays?  That way a person could very simply create a robust dialog display with arrows, buttons, and the like without needing the dialog_options functions at all. 

Just a thought?

I second this suggestion.

subspark

A Notes pane for developers to share ideas or leave instructions would be nice.

I remember asking for this before. Not sure if it was this thread though. However I made an icon for it. I believe it might be on page 3 or 4 of the last wishlist not started by me.

Cheers,
Sparx.

Trent R

Quote* Added F4 hotkey to jump straight to the Events grid to edit interactions
Love this addition to 3.1.2, but I assumed that being in the room script would also open up the events (generic room ones, ie. rep_exec, first enter, etc). Could that capability be added?

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

SSH

It's quite easy to set up your own default room template that has these events added for all new rooms that you create... in fact, I've just documented this process on my blog!

OneDollar

The ability to change hotspot and object descriptions at runtime would be very useful.

Babar

Hell, in that case, the ability to change properties at run-time too!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk