AGS 3.3 Wishlist

Started by subspark, Tue 09/12/2008 03:34:03

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

- I think it is time to make it possible to import vector sprites at least as EPS (With solid fillings). This would reduce the size of large backgrounds and sprites and add to the speed and fluidness of very big animated objects. Especially games that use just a few colors would profit from this possibility. Apart of that those sprites would work independently from the games resolution.
If this is ever contemplated I think SVG is a far superior choice.

subspark

QuoteIndividual music fadings at certain positions would be possible
I believe this would be possible with regions and a bit of coding.

QuoteI think sub-pixel rendering for scaled sprite movements with Direct3D support at 32-colordepth would be great
I suggested this a while back for use with the parallax scrolling plugin. If sub-pixel rendering were to be implemented (and boy what a revolution that would be) it would open up a large number of new options for animators, designers and coders alike.

QuoteI think it is time to make it possible to import vector sprites at least as EPS
QuoteIf this is ever contemplated I think SVG is a far superior choice.
I agree with RickJ on this. EPS is a barebones format compared to SVG. I'm not reluctant to ask for SWF support either.

QuoteFolders for room organization or a sort rooms by name option would be useful
I also asked for this once. I think this would be a fantastic idea. I also believe there should be an ACTUAL folder for rooms in the root directory of our projects.

Cheers,
Sparky.

SpacePaw

I wish for one thing connected with .NET plugin writting - more events like PropertyChanged, GameSettingsChanged etc. Esspecially connected with views and sprites like view added, sprite added, view deleted etc. (or just ViewChanged, SpriteChanged with parameter describing the action and the id of view/sprite)

Anteater

Definitely sub-pixel rendering.

Fullscreen shader support would be nice.

Also the ability to create objects dynamically, would be majorly cool.

SSH

Of course, its possible to manually do sub-pixel rendering if you mess around with Dynamic sprites...

subspark

OneDollar

I don't think there's currently a way of reading what size an array is... could we do that please?

(If I've missed it, can someone tell me how to do it?)

Trent R

$1, I think you can run a while check inside a custom function. if (!null) sorta thing. Then have it return the highest number of the while loop (ie, the arrary size).

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Khris

No, because you'd have to use an invalid index to do that check which will result in an array out of bounds error.
However, you should always be able to store the size in another variable. Even with dynamic arrays, you use an intermediate step like this:
Code: ags
  int arr_size = random(5)+3;
  arr = new int[arr_size];

OneDollar

Yeah, that's what I'm doing at the moment. It just makes for a redundant integer. Also if you're doing arrays of structs you can't make them dynamic, so you have to remember to set an integer the same size, and change it whenever you change the array size. There's workarounds, but reading at runtime would be much easier.

RickJ

Here's a variation of KhrisMuc's suggestion.   It still requires a variable but it's temporary and can be dynamicly defined within the a function rather than static outside.

int tmp_arr_size = random(5)+3;
  arr = new int[tmp_arr_size+1];
  arr[0] = tmp_arr_size;

Also if you're doing arrays of structs you can't make them dynamic, so you have to remember to set an integer the same size, and change it whenever you change the array size.
And for arrays of fixed size as mentioned in the above quote, getting the array size at runtime has no advantage over #define.   

OneDollar

Quote from: RickJ on Tue 31/03/2009 21:53:28

arr[0] = tmp_arr_size;

Ah, that's a good idea, thanks!

JpSoft

Some ideas i mentioned before, but just to remember:

- Change walkable areas at run-time.
- Little notepad in the editor, so the game creator could easily add comments about the design of the game ("things to do", "do not forget", and so)
- Editor translated to other languages (for sure, many people will help with this if CJ provides the original text in english) Just imagine how many new users AGS will have
- NoLoopCheck adjustable in the general settings, not specifically in any function.
- Include a generic graphic pack for beginners (some chars, BGs and that stuff) Its difficult to start a new game when you dont have graphics, and many people do not know how find free graphics in the web. And the new ron gilbert could easily become frustrated if he/she use their own graphs at the very beginning.

Jp

Khris

Quote- Change walkable areas at run-time.
How?

Quote- NoLoopCheck adjustable in the general settings, not specifically in any function.
Why?

Gilbert

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Tue 31/03/2009 23:07:51
How?
By changing the mask image at run-time. It would be even more flexible if we can raw draw onto the mask. I think it's been discussed before, but I don't think it's of high priority.

Why?
For calculation intensive projects like strategy games, etc. This would just simply the codes a bit and make them somewhat less cluttering though and I don't know if it's worth the trouble to implement it as unless you're a veteran programmer who could spot errors easily, otherwise people who have activated this feature and are not aware of possible consequence will be confused by freezing hell.

Trent R

Can the General Option to use native co-ordinates be set to true on new projects, but false on imported ones?

Perhaps this will over complicate things, but I've noticed a bunch of BTech problems concerning this... Maybe just a mention in the Scripting tutorials in needed.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Sadistyk

It would be useful (to me, at least) to be able to change the state of the custom properties at runtime, and to be able to change the text of a dialog option, also at runtime. Something like this:

dialog1.SetOptionText(1, "Hello world!");

;)

OneDollar

Quote from: JpSoft on Tue 31/03/2009 22:50:43
- Little notepad in the editor, so the game creator could easily add comments about the design of the game ("things to do", "do not forget", and so)

This would be a perfect little editor plugin project for someone. An awesome version would include (at least) rich text, the ability to create lots of separate notes arranged in a tree, simple graphics package for making sketches/diagrams which could also be stored in the same tree and manual and readme editors that you could use to compose your documentation and would automatically export (user specified name).TXT or .RTF documents when you built your executable.

Any volunteers?

(I'd do it myself, but I don't know any C# or C++ or whatever, and can't make any sense of the plugin tutorial ;))

SpacePaw

Quote from: OneDollar on Thu 02/04/2009 23:26:45

This would be a perfect little editor plugin project for someone. An awesome version would include (at least) rich text, the ability to create lots of separate notes arranged in a tree, simple graphics package for making sketches/diagrams which could also be stored in the same tree and manual and readme editors that you could use to compose your documentation and would automatically export (user specified name).TXT or .RTF documents when you built your executable.

Any volunteers?

(I'd do it myself, but I don't know any C# or C++ or whatever, and can't make any sense of the plugin tutorial ;))

Piece of cake :) I can do it :)

EDIT:
without the drawing diagrams thingy. This would take bit longer :) but who knows. Maybe in 2.0 version :)

JpSoft

Quote from: SpacePaw on Fri 03/04/2009 03:51:02
Quote from: OneDollar on Thu 02/04/2009 23:26:45

Any volunteers?

Piece of cake :) I can do it :)

EDIT:
without the drawing diagrams thingy. This would take bit longer :) but who knows. Maybe in 2.0 version :)

If you work on it, i willl be your first tester  ;D

Jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk