AGS v2.7 Final: Yet Another Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sat 13/11/2004 21:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMagician

1. I found out that the fire-plugin by Steve McCrea is probably not compatible with version 2.7.

2. If I use "player - go to a different room" interaction in "walk off left screen edge" in the "room interaction editor" it says at the bottom that the text script equivalent is "player.ChangeRoom(2);"
However, if I delete the "player - go to different room" interaction and replace it with a "run script" interaction and type in "player.ChangeRoom(2);" the behaviour is different.
"player - go to a different room" lets the character appear on the right side of the new room if it walked off the left side of the previous room .... which feels correct to me.
However, "Run Script: player.ChangeRoom(2);" lets the character appear at the same coordinates as it left the previous room (so he appears on the left side of the new room if he walked off the left side of the previous room) ...
...is this how it's supposed to be?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Actually, TheMagician, I'm pretty sure the manual does specify that your point 2 is, indeed, meant to be so.

If it does not, my bad. :) But it is meant to be so.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TheMagician

So the only way to SCRIPT a "natural" room change (from left side to right side) is by using "NewRoomEx" ?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Pumaman

Yes, the script does not have a command to say "appear on the right hand edge" or anything.

It's not a bad idea though -- perhaps NewRoomEx could accept some special values like LEFT_EDGE and RIGHT_EDGE for the X co-ordinate that would use the room edges rather than having to specify a co-ordinate.

TheMagician

QuoteIt's not a bad idea though -- perhaps NewRoomEx could accept some special values like LEFT_EDGE and RIGHT_EDGE for the X co-ordinate that would use the room edges rather than having to specify a co-ordinate.

That would be perfect!

Pumaman

In other news, I've added a manual page on blocking scripts:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/BlockingScripts.htm

because it seems to be an issue that crops up quite frequently in questions here.

Comments on anything that doesn't make sense, etc, are welcome.

Scorpiorus

Thanks for updating the plugin API, CJ! I'm going to try and test adding managed objects via plugin.

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 05/03/2005 18:47:56
In other news, I've added a manual page on blocking scripts:
Good work! By the way, is that room thread kind of a new thing introduced in 2.7? I'm asking because to my experience I was unable to make AGS call scripts while on_mouse_click is running, even those within the room.

EDIT:
Kind of an unrelated note to the RC but how feasible/difficult would it be to have a confirmation (Y/N) dialog to pop up on importing a different sized room background image to prevent accidental resets of room's masks?
Original thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19534.0

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteKind of an unrelated note to the RC but how feasible/difficult would it be to have a confirmation (Y/N) dialog to pop up on importing a different sized room background image to prevent accidental resets of room's masks?
Unrelated as it may be, after TWO (count 'em, two) stressfull situations where the difference of a single pixel caused me to rebuild all walkables, walkbehinds and hotspots... I totally support this.

Kneel. Now.

SSH

Surely, if you don't then save the room, you haven't lost anything?

TerranRich

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 13/11/2004 21:02:00Blimey, Mother's Day is with us already!

Liar! Mother's day isn't until May 8th! ;) :P

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

SSH - I don't know, and I don't really care to try it again. But if that IS so, could someone kick me in the backside? HARD? Please?

Kneel. Now.

Pumaman

QuoteWas this intended to include GUI buttons as well?  Still can't use "gMenu0..gMenu9" for a GUI button script names.

Now fixed in RC2.

Quote1. I found out that the fire-plugin by Steve McCrea is probably not compatible with version 2.7.

I've fixed RC2 so that this is no longer a problem.

QuoteGood work! By the way, is that room thread kind of a new thing introduced in 2.7? I'm asking because to my experience I was unable to make AGS call scripts while on_mouse_click is running, even those within the room.

Hmm that's a good point, I might have got it slightly wrong. I'll have to check exactly how it works.

QuoteKind of an unrelated note to the RC but how feasible/difficult would it be to have a confirmation (Y/N) dialog to pop up on importing a different sized room background image to prevent accidental resets of room's masks?

Although as SSH says you don't have to save the room, I can appreciate there will be times where you've just made a load of changes and then want to import an updated background. Hence, I've added a confirmation message for this situation as requested.

QuoteLiar! Mother's day isn't until May 8th!

Hehe it's a funny one this -- I don't know why Father's Day is the same around the world, but Mothers Day varies from country to country. Probably just reflects the indecision of women ;)

MrColossal

If I may make a suggestion

I just upgraded from an older version and it gave me a bunch of errors and such, I read them and all but now that I'm going back through to fix things up I've forgotten all the errors, is there any chance that AGS could write a text file with the warnings in it?

Eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

And a further suggestion - if AGS DOES do that, can it be toggleable? I know some people like logs at all times, but I prefer only to have them in case of problems, and even then I'm not all that fond of them.

Kneel. Now.

strazer

I can't stress enough how much I love the script module system. Easily my favorite new feature. Thanks again, CJ!

How about a Disable/Enable button in the module manager to help in debugging conflicting modules? I know you can save them to disk, remove them and later load them again, but that's a bit tedious IMO.

Pumaman

Quote from: MrColossal on Sun 06/03/2005 21:29:40
I just upgraded from an older version and it gave me a bunch of errors and such, I read them and all but now that I'm going back through to fix things up I've forgotten all the errors, is there any chance that AGS could write a text file with the warnings in it?

That's a pretty good idea -- it's also easy to accidentally skip over a message and then wonder what you missed. I'll look into it.

QuoteI can't stress enough how much I love the script module system. Easily my favorite new feature. Thanks again, CJ!

Glad you like it :)

QuoteHow about a Disable/Enable button in the module manager to help in debugging conflicting modules? I know you can save them to disk, remove them and later load them again, but that's a bit tedious IMO.

Something like the plugin manager's check boxes? That's a reasonable request; I may postpone it for 2.71 though.

RickJ

Question about Button.Width ??

It appears that if I change a GUI button's width at runtime the button text retains it's old position instead of being recentered on the button's new extent.  Should Button.Width be read only, should the text be re-centered, or is all as intended?

MrColossal

I don't think this is a bug specifically about this new version as I haven't checked but character.animating does not see when a character is animating it's idle view.

Is this a bug or something that was just never added?

Eric

edit: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=15174.0  and I see now that Geoffkahn brought this up but then forgot about his own post.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Pumaman

Quote from: RickJ on Tue 08/03/2005 00:30:51
Question about Button.Width ??

It appears that if I change a GUI button's width at runtime the button text retains it's old position instead of being recentered on the button's new extent. Should Button.Width be read only, should the text be re-centered, or is all as intended?

I just tried this out and the button text was re-centered correctly when I changed the width. Can you provide an example where it doesn't work?

QuoteI don't think this is a bug specifically about this new version as I haven't checked but character.animating does not see when a character is animating it's idle view.

This is deliberate. People tend to use loops like:

while (cEgo.Animating) Wait(1);

to wait until a specific animation has finished -- so you wouldn't want the idle animation to return 1, since it could block forever.

So basically yes, this is by design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk