Editor plugin written in C#?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 10/05/2012 11:52:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Would someone have an example of an Editor plugin written in C#? I've never interleaved C# and C++ before.

monkey0506

All editor plugins that I know of are written in C#, as is the editor. You didn't mean an engine plugin did you? :-\

Somebody did write a C# wrapper for the engine plugin API, which of course then would make your plugin reliant on the .NET Framework, but yeah...what exactly you looking for?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 10/05/2012 18:07:36
All editor plugins that I know of are written in C#, as is the editor. You didn't mean an engine plugin did you? :-\

No, I did mean an Editor plugin.
I have to admit I downloaded the official plugin classes from the AGS website (and saw only C++), but didn't understand well if they were for the Editor or the engine -- I was all confused. Like a boss. Like a n00b.

EDIT: I can't find an Editor plugin that comes with its sources in the forum. I don't understand if the practice of using C# for an Editor plugin is natural and straightforward, or if one requires a simple C++-->C# wrapper. (I'm not good at organizing a .Net project, I can only program). First, can you confirm that one only needs this to code an Editor plugin?

EDIT2: I actually only found this page using Google. I didn't find it when I navigated in the AGS website, I don't now what's the links combo to reach it :-)

EDIT3: OK, I saw that there is a link to the Editor plugin API in the text at the top of the Engine plugin page, but it's really not obvious, it's pretty confusing if you're used to finding the information displayed in a structured way on the page.

I suggest:
- that the links to the Engine plugins API and the Editor plugins API pages are put side to side on a dedicated "plugins" page,
- that the Engine plugins page states it clearly that it's only for the Engine.

Who's in charge of the website lately? The new design is really cool but it's also time to re-organize the pages, at the moment it's a real mess between downloads, resources, official stuff, non-official stuff, etc.

monkey0506

The editor is not written in C++ or mixed-mode, only AGS.Native is. The editor is written entirely in C#.

Engine plugins have an editor component to them (they are included during design-time after all). The engine and the engine plugin API are written in C++. There is a C# wrapper for engine plugins also.

Editor plugins are based off of AGS.Types which is written in C#.

There's a thread from CJ laying around somewhere about editor plugins...but the "accomplug.htm" page links to AGS.Plugin.Sample which is the only real documentation of the editor plugin API other than that page itself.

Yes, the plugin documentation (engine and editor plugins) will need to be updated and included in the new website (or perhaps just wikified?). It's a process though, and the plugin docs are not very heavily utilized really...I mean by comparison there's a lot less people writing plugins than making games in AGS. Not to say docs aren't important, just they're not as high a priority. Welcome to life as a programmer. ;-D

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 15/05/2012 23:12:36
Welcome to life as a programmer. ;-D

I'm a programmer, but also a bureaucrat. An anal bureaucrat ;)
As you've probably noticed in the past, my philosphy is not "RTFM", but rather "Why isn't the FM right there in front of my eyes, already showing the correct page, with the important bit underlined in red, and alongside with a snippet?:=

I think the current [new] home page is missing a "developers" section, and I fear it won't be added to the banner but instead to one of the already-existing pages.

before

after?

SpeechCenter

Do you have any specific editor plugin question? I used the sample as a baseline for the plugin and other than some features that would have made it a bit easier it was quite straightforward (but it's always possible you have a use case I didn't have to cover).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk