Error when opening a game I have already worked on a lot...

Started by AnubisArc999, Fri 29/05/2009 18:27:13

Previous topic - Next topic

AnubisArc999

Granted, the root of my problem is probably because I am using a full Japanese version of Windows Vista, but there must be a way to work out this error. I can load other previous games or the demo game fine. However, a game that I have already imported a ton of sprites into (which took hours), can no longer be opened, and I just get the same error every time I open:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/hakutsuru7777/loadinggamebug2.jpg

I translated the few Japanese characters in the picture to the link above.

I am using version:
AGS Editor .NET (Build 3.1.2.81)
v3.1.2, February 2009

My guess is that because of Japan using the Emperor Japanese Year system it might have caused this, however, I never had a problem before, then it randomly came up one day.

At the very least, if anyone can tell me how to (if possible) grab the "sprite bag" that I created which I can then move into a new game (the backgrounds are already save as separate .jpgs [so no problem there]). And no, I can't do the usual export for sprites, because I cannot open the game AT all.

Thanks in advance

Khris

Try using the backup files; copy all files to a new folder, then replace all files with their backups (the names start with "backup_").

Trent R

And .bak files (rename the file to remove the .bak, like the .spr file)

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

AnubisArc999

Thanks for the replies, but none of the above solutions worked. I even tried to copy the .spr file into a new game, but the sprites don't show in the new game, only the defaults....

Pumaman

Did you change any regional settings in the Windows Control Panel before this stopped working?

What are your Date and Time formats set to in the Regional Options in control panel?

AnubisArc999

Actually, it might be related the regional settings. I had two profiles in Windows Vista, one for home and one for work. I think the problem started when I worked on the game at work, then went home and tried to open the game. I believe the profiles had different settings, but I have tried to switch the settings, and still did not work.

If I can just get (if there is a file) the sprite file that had all the sprites organized in directories and all imported. Is there any such file??

Pumaman

You don't need to start re-creating new games from backups or anything like that -- in fact, if the problem is due to your regional settings then any new game you created would probably have the same error when you tried to load it back up.

The game data is all still there, but it looks like a quirk in the .NET Framework is unable to read it in properly.

Try this:
1. Start Notepad
2. Load the Game.agf file into notepad
3. Do a search for "ReleaseDate". You should find a line like this:
      <ReleaseDate>2007-08-05</ReleaseDate>

Can you post that line here?

Also, check your Regional Settings -- if the Date and Time separators are the same apparently that can cause this error (eg if your date/time format was:   dd:mm:yy hh:mm) in which case try changing one of them to something different and see if that fixes it.

AnubisArc999

Thanks for your reply Pumaman, seems like this might be on track to fixing my issue!  :D

<ReleaseDate>19-08-19</ReleaseDate>

That is what was in the game.agf file.

I will back it up and try to change some "valid" date?

EDIT:  IT WORKED!!!! I changed the date (putting in today's date) and my game opened right away! All my sprites are there with the directories!

Thanks to everyone that replied, and I love you forever Pumaman!!!!!!! ;D

EDIT 2:  Just as side note, the date that was listed before changing it is the Japanese format of Day (first) / Month / Emperor Year. Also, I cannot complain too much since my error is now fixed, but maybe future versions should still let you be able to open the game even if the date is not valid, not being able to open a game for that reason, seems a tad bit silly? Just a suggestion to maybe avoid this kind of problem for other users. I will finally add that I really admire the developers of AGS for even making this program.

Trent R

Quote from: AnubisArc999 on Fri 29/05/2009 23:54:03I will finally add that I really admire the developers of AGS for even making this program.
There's only one. Pumaman (or Chris Jones, he's one and the same). :D

We worship him here on the forums.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Pumaman

Quote from: AnubisArc999 on Fri 29/05/2009 23:54:03

EDIT 2:  Just as side note, the date that was listed before changing it is the Japanese format of Day (first) / Month / Emperor Year. Also, I cannot complain too much since my error is now fixed, but maybe future versions should still let you be able to open the game even if the date is not valid, not being able to open a game for that reason, seems a tad bit silly? Just a suggestion to maybe avoid this kind of problem for other users.

Well, this is the first time that anything like this has been reported. Is it standard for Japanese systems to use this "Emperor Year", or is the Western year number more common these days?

AnubisArc999

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 31/05/2009 23:03:59
Quote from: AnubisArc999 on Fri 29/05/2009 23:54:03

EDIT 2:  Just as side note, the date that was listed before changing it is the Japanese format of Day (first) / Month / Emperor Year. Also, I cannot complain too much since my error is now fixed, but maybe future versions should still let you be able to open the game even if the date is not valid, not being able to open a game for that reason, seems a tad bit silly? Just a suggestion to maybe avoid this kind of problem for other users.

Well, this is the first time that anything like this has been reported. Is it standard for Japanese systems to use this "Emperor Year", or is the Western year number more common these days?

I just returned from Japan after working and spending a year over there, and at least all the school computers I worked on always used the Emperor Year system. Also, I noticed a made a mistake in my previous post, the system is:

Emperor Year / Month / Day

Today in japanese would look like this:

23/6/1

They understand the western style well enough. It is just they are determined to keep using the Emperor system it seems. It is a Japanese mindset thing. The same cause of why they have few English speakers than any other SE Asia country....

Pumaman

Just for understanding, what does year "23" represent? What would the year number have been 24 years ago?

Stee

I believe it is to do with The number of years the emperor has reigned for. e.g if the current emperor is in his 20th year of reign the it would be 20/m/d or 20/d/m (don't know which way round)
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

AnubisArc999

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 01/06/2009 21:05:13
Just for understanding, what does year "23" represent? What would the year number have been 24 years ago?

It does have with number of years the emperor has reigned for as Stee stated.
24 years ago would be 64 as in Showa 64 (the 64th year of the Showa Emperor). Currently it is Heisei 23 (23rd year of the Heisei Emperor).

Pumaman

Hmm, so given the date "23/6/1" how do you know if it means the 23rd year of the Heisei Emperor or the Showa Emperor? How can this date define a particular year?

Stee

I thought Japan also used the gregorian calendar anyway?

@Chris : I'd assume it would be something like "Heisei 23/6/1" as a long date and 23/6/1/ for short. Just like we have dates like 1/6/09 when it should be 1/6/2009
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

AnubisArc999

Quote from: Stee on Tue 02/06/2009 02:43:56
I thought Japan also used the gregorian calendar anyway?

@Chris : I'd assume it would be something like "Heisei 23/6/1" as a long date and 23/6/1/ for short. Just like we have dates like 1/6/09 when it should be 1/6/2009

They do use gregorian calender, but instead of putting down the year as 2009, they put Heisei 23. And yes, it is like you said:  23/6/1 is like 1/6/09. Just like most people would know what century we are in, most Japanese know what emperor year it is. In cases where context is not so clear, you would write out either Heisei or Showa or previous emperor years.

Trent R

Pumaman

Ok thanks, interesting ... this sort of thing is where using the .NET Framework can throw up a surprise any day of the week! I'll take a look and see if I can find a workaround.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk