Text bug?

Started by Edward Becket, Wed 23/04/2003 08:19:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Becket

First of all i wonna tell you that i am a boy 19 years old from Italy... so sorry for my bad english. ::)

I have found on internet your site and instantly downloaded your AGS-Tool. This is a dream! My BIGGEST dream that came true! I love you all!

I'm trying to understand which are the functions of this program, so i'm doing a little little game using most simple features.

I have a problem when a try to display a message after the action LOOK TO referred to a background area and generally for all kind of text.
When a string of text is visualized (or should be visualized) on the screen I have the following error text:

An errror has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this problem is caused by the game rather than the interpreter.
(ACI version 2.54.522)

(Global script line 32)
Error: Cannot display message with extended characters in SCI font.

Sorry for my total incompetency in programming... I hope you will help me... thanks!
Excuse my english! I'm Italian! And not so good at school :-àž

Ishmael

Error: Cannot display message with extended characters in SCI font.

Thats the problem... no bug... you have a character that is not in the the font, in the text. Go to the AGS fonts pane and see what charatcers are in the fonts... Font 0 is the default text font, like in the Display() command text boxes, font 1 is the speech font and font 2 is the outline font for font 1...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Gilbert

Actually this is a common problem, I was just too lazy to reply to it earlier because I don't want to search for links. :p

The reason is that currently AGS supports SCI fonts only up to #127, and if you use an accented character (which usually used a slot >127) the game will crash, that's the limitation.

You have 2 choices:
1. Edit the SCI font set with a programme (eg. SCI studio) and replace some of the unused characters within the first 128  range with the accented characters you want, eg you replace "#" with an "a" with a funny dot on top of it, so when you want that funny "a" you type "#" instead.
2. Import a true type font into your game, that way you can use the whole 256 characters range in the font set.

Pumaman

Yep you've probably just used an accented character without even thinking about it as you're Italian, but this actually causes a problem for AGS. You'll have to either manually edit the font as Gilbert suggests, or import a TTF font of your own.

By default, you can only use the standard English alphabet A-Z in game messages.

Edward Becket

I want to thank you all for yours help.  In fact i tried to eliminate all the accented characters and it wark very well now... except for the accented characters which I can't use!
Even if you exlain me very well what i have to do to solve my problem (not bug!  ;)), cause on the one hand the english language (hostile to me :P) and on the other hand my total incompetency on this arguments... i don't understand the solution.

Between the two options that Gilbot post to me i think that the most probable is the second one. But: what I have to do?!?

Please... try to help me. I hope that you dont' leave me alone!
I am decided to learn to use this great AGS program... but i never understand very well any incompatibility problems (in this case is a font incompatibility).
Thanks !
Excuse my english! I'm Italian! And not so good at school :-àž

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk