Mandle

Quote from: Gribbler on Fri 23/05/2014 20:54:08
Quote from: Arj0nSuch copy-protection really hurts the eyes

AAAAH! Take it away!!

AGREEEEEEED!!! ARRRGGHHH!!!

Gribbler

EXHIBIT #23: RISE OF THE DRAGON (1990)

Front and back cover:

Over 8MB of game data! The mind boggles!

What's inside the box: six 3.5" disks, manual, comic book, Sierra catalog and registration card.

Comic book? BING! Immersion +10!

It also contains helpful tips for any PI wannabe.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... a Sierra I didn't had or knew about it!

These thread is great! Keep them coming! :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gribbler

QuoteUhm... a Sierra I didn't had or knew about it!

monkey424

The next archaeological discovery in my parents attic..

EXHIBIT #24: DINOTOPIA

Oddly enough, I never actually played this game! I vaguely remember seeing it at a friend's house and curiously, somehow I ended up with it!

Mandle

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 26/05/2014 12:01:08
The next archaeological discovery in my parents attic..

EXHIBIT #24: DINOTOPIA

From the box blurb:

"Enjoy over 6000 lines of witty dialogue"

Uhhhh ohhhh...

Gribbler

EXHIBIT #25: LEISURE SUIT LARRY 5 (1991)

Front and back cover:

Music by the A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 composer! That's a one fantastic feature!

What's inside the box: eight 3.5" disks, manual and a playspy magazine.

Playspy magazine featuring mafia ladies.

It even has a centerfold. Playboy style!

Did you know?

The game contains actual product placement for US-American telephone company Sprint. Whenever Larry or Patti were making a phone call in the game, the call would end with the line "Thank you for using U.S. Sprint!"

AnasAbdin

Gribbler! Thanks for the post! LSL5 is the definition of awesome character design IMHO. I specially liked the gui at the end where you could listen to all the voices of the game :=

arj0n

later re-released as 'Quest For Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero' (due to a conflict with the board game 'Hero Quest' from Milton Bradley, also released in 1989.
The 'Hero Quest' Board Game:

EXHIBIT #26: Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero (1989)

Box:

Specs:

Media:

Hintbook & Glasses for the hidden clue's:

Reference Card

'A Letter From The President'

Technical & Game Manual / Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School

Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School

Prodigy Service info / Sierra Catalog

One specific difference with this original version against 'Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be A Hero' (VGA Remake) which was published in 1992:
In this original version you can use magic points for any character class, creating a more powerful character, also for the other QfG games in this series.

Gribbler

And here's VGA remake Arj0n wrote about earlier.

EXHIBIT #27: QUEST FOR GLORY 1 (1992)

Front and back cover:

Hey! I didn't know it was all done with clay animation!

What's inside the box: five 3.5" disks, manual, Adventurer's Correspondence School book, Sierra catalogs and leaflests.

You can learn how to be a real deal warrior, thief or sorcerer.

And here, dear children, you can see the difference in graphics between the two versions. Just three years apart. It was the age of VGA revolution, baby!! Ekhm, sorry... got carried away. :)

Did you know?

In one of the few instances of one game making reference to a game by another company, every now and then when the Gargoyle above Erasmus's house asks "What is your Quest?" one of the answer choices is "I want to be a pirate!" This is, of course, a reference to The Secret of Monkey Island by Lucasarts. If you select it, the Gargoyle says "Boy, have you got the wrong game," sends you back down the mountain.

arj0n

EXHIBIT #28: Dick Tracy: The Crime-Solving Adventure (1991)

Box:
Media:
Copy Protection Wheel:
Quick Start Card & Manual:
Manual Inside:
Warranty Registration Card & Read Me First:
Offer Coupons:
Disney's Game Catalog '91-'92:

Dick Tracy: The Crime-Solving Adventure was developed by Distinctive Software, known for several well-known DOS titles.
Here some thumbs of intro screens of games you might remember, they are all developed by Distinctive Software:

FrankT

An impressive collection! I just wish I had something of my own to present.

(am I the only one who thinks The Colonel's Bequest should've come with a Playbill?)

monkey424

Ok folks.. Without further ado, here is my final submission to The Museum, from the abyss of my parent's attic.

EXHIBIT #29: Dizzy Collection

Here we have:

1. Fast food Dizzy
2. Kwik Snax
3. Fantasy World Dizzy
4. Prince of Yolkfolk
5. Magicland Dizzy

Well, obviously, I'm missing the actual games! But the box did contain this neat poster..

The poster appears to be from Kwik Snax. I believe the other games had their own posters too, and may very well have been displayed on my bedroom wall when I was a lad.
As you can probably guess, I was the cool kid in school.  8-)

Gribbler

EXHIBIT #30: KING'S QUEST 5 (1990)

Front and back cover:

We shit you not, you DON'T have to type! Funny how they stress that out after LucasArts games :)

What's inside the box: eight 3.5" disks, manual, hint book with glasses, Sierra catalog and a registration card.

Damn this is narrow!

Cassiebsg

Actually, I kind of enjoyed the typing... it helped me improve my writen english. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

arj0n

There are quite some game titles containing the word 'Quest', most know are probably the Sierra Quests.
But do you remember this one?

EXHIBIT #31: Disney's Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold (1990)

Box:

Media:

Instruction sheet & Code sheet:

Manual & Manual - Table of Content:

Manual - Inside:

Sslaxx

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 28/04/2014 13:32:55
EXHIBIT #4: RETURN TO ZORK (SECOND HAND COPY)

(I took it out of it's plastic bag).

Sorry Gribbler, I'm being facetious. I DO have games that ONCE came in a box! Believe me! Whether the boxes still exist is another question, but when I get a chance I'll have a good search for them!

Lovely Monkey Island post btw. That's the first time I've seen the 'Dial-a-Pirate' wheel in colour (I'd only ever seen a photocopied version).

And kudos to Babar on the Myst post. I have located my Myst CD, but the bloody box has gone walkabout!  :~(
This is really anoraky, but when and where did you get it? It's Activision-branded (and not Korean/Japanese/console), and at the time they were still (just about) using the Infocom label for adventure games. As far as I recall they never sold the game under their own (Activision) name for MS-DOS or Mac versions in the west. I can make out it says it was part of a bundle - what bundle?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

arj0n

Sslaxx, you're right.

Monkey424's specific version came, republished 4 years later then the original 'Rerturn to Zork', with
the 'Megapak 8' bundle/compilation which was published by a typical compilation-company called 'Megamedia Corp'.

If you take a real close look at the disc in monkey424's photo, you can see/decipher the following 2 lines:
"for sale with Megamedia bundle only"
"not to be sold separately"

monkey424

I never noticed that writing on the CD. Or more to the point, I never cared. I don't recall the game being sold as part of a bundle. I found it in a daggy op shop near home, in 1996 I think. It's a great game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk