Adventure Jam 2023

Started by heltenjon, Sun 16/07/2023 05:31:49

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

So, while we wait for https://itch.io/jam/107-adventure-game-challenge ... I thought, why not check out that other adventure jam on Itch, https://itch.io/jam/advjam2023 or Adventure Jam 2023?

And I did, just to find that it had 332 entries!  8-0

No way am I playing all those, I thought. But just as devilish, I wondered, what kind of game actually comes last in this. So I decided to check out the one on the bottom before actually looking at the good games. Thus this first post (if there are others) is just about NOT recommended games.

Card Investigation - Didn't work because of missing files.
Memory Magic - No game to download.
Trek in the Woods - Missing files again.
Harrys_Friends - Game in quarantine, not downloadable.
Space Asteroids - Clearly not an adventure game from the screenshots, so I didn't bother. A comment says ads fill the screen.
Byte Adventure is a platform game. Not recommended, although I did play it and finished it in a couple of minutes.
Fall on Monster Bomb Attack - also quarantined.
Wildwood Nightmares actually is an adventure game, but it is not finished, so it's more of a tech demo now. Not fully playable, unfortunately.
Cool and Slimey Adventures- this looks like it is the same game entered twice. Kind of a short platform game. I played it and beat it in a few goes, so it works, at least.
Rocket Bouncer - This looks like it is made with love, judging from screen shot and description. However, it is clearly a platform game and very far from an adventure, so I didn't want to play it.

So there you go. I wanted to just check out the last one, but ended up checking out the ones placed from #316 to #306. There are clearly some really good games here, too. I hope to play some of them next.  ;)

heltenjon

I always meant to come back to this jam and write about the games here, but life happened and time passed. Even so, yesterday, I played Shadows of Serenity. This is a cyberpunk investigation game and well worth a look. Corners had to be cut for the game jam, but the graphics, writing and voice work is impressive. (Although the characters talk "literary", not realistically.) The game itself is made in Unity, and some of the voices are made using AI trained by using the developer's friends, much like @AndreasBlack is doing in his project.

I also ignored some games:
Bat Swarm Demo is a platformer.
Flittery Fly describes itself as "Flappy Bird, but harder".
Robot Game is a shooter.
Space Asteroid is a shooter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk