AdventureX 2014 - 6th+7th December - London

Started by , Tue 16/09/2014 14:48:24

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Quote from: Miez on Mon 08/12/2014 19:41:36
Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 08/12/2014 19:23:47
Did you see any of the games I presented btw?  I only ask because I kind of remember a guy who looked like your avatar...

I watched your presentation of Captain Disaster :D

Ah man, I wish you'd come and introduced yourself instead of being a face in the crowd that I vaguely remember :P

I think CD and The Weavers were the only demos that didn't get recorded?  I can't remember exactly when treff set up their camera in Room D on Sunday - it was there by the time I presented Troll Song (which hardly anyone came to as they were having too much fun in the quiz!)

Grim

Matt Goble

Quote from: Miez on Mon 08/12/2014 19:08:17
Note to self: best not to check your homeward flight details after having visited the pub. I went to Stansted airport, but my plane was leaving from Gatwick. Felt like a bit of a dumbass, thank the gods for a taxi service from Stansted to Gatwick!

Oh WoW! :shocked:

You definitely said Gatwick on Sunday night.

cat

Quote from: Miez on Mon 08/12/2014 19:08:17
Note to self: best not to check your homeward flight details after having visited the pub. I went to Stansted airport, but my plane was leaving from Gatwick. Felt like a bit of a dumbass, thank the gods for a taxi service from Stansted to Gatwick!

I'm glad I even made it home today (long rambling travel story hidden)
Spoiler

When I left the pub and got my luggage from the hotel I was a bit late so I thought I'd better be safe than sorry and take the Heathrow Express. Or that is what I WANTED to do. Because when I came to Paddington they said that HE is out of service and the next train will only leave in like 40 minutes. So back to the subway. Stupid me, I didn't have the boarding pass printed (yes, Miez, you were right, I should have done that at the hotel) and they almost didn't want to let me board. Finally, I think they felt pity for me and let me enter, the gate was already closing...
However, I'm glad I didn't take the Easyjet flight I was considering, because that was delayed several hours!
[close]

Anyway, I'm home and I have to say, it was a fantastic weekend. It was great to meet so many new people, see people again after a long time and see such great games and talks. However, now reading the forums I'm kinda sad there where so many more AGS people at the event that I didn't meet. Next time we should do name stickers instead of Mr. and Mrs. X
Thanks a lot to Mark, Rebecca, Berian and whoever helped organising this event. Beeing there the two days was worth all the travel issues.

Miez

Wow Cat, that sounds like a bit of a struggle! :D

Adeel

Quote from: Mods on Mon 08/12/2014 17:27:01
And those who tried to turn up virtually - sorry about the live stream. I'm still trying to work out what went wrong there. It was as if the permissions needed to broadcast weren't allowed within our dedicated wifi setup for the event.

It's okay, Mods. I don't know about others but I forgive you. As luck would have it, I was quite busy the whole weekend myself and couldn't have virtually attended, even if live stream was working.

neon

Thanks to all, I'm also back home.

Unfortunately we lost all the pictures we've taken on Friday. Video material is complete, but we have only the pictures from Sunday. I can't express how sorry I am about that, because there were a lot of nice ones.

Yeppoh

I had a really great time this year again. Great people to talk to, great games (for the ones I had the time to play). I can't wait for next year to come back again!

neon

Good news. After testing lots of programs that promised to recover EVERYTHING, I found Recuva, what is a pretty cool tool that managed to bring back 44 pictures from Saturday.

Here's the link to our Facebook picture galery, even if I was already told that people need to be logged in to Facebook to see it, so we currently try to figure out how to open it for public:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152637260493208.1073741834.169227068207ype=1

AGA

In the settings page of the Facebook page, try unchecking "Targeting and Privacy for Posts -> Allow targeting and privacy options when I create posts on my Page".  The AGS page at least is visible to all, even without a Facebook login...

m0ds

Woot, some videos over the course of the evening. Sorry no high def, not at the upload speeds Post Office broadband provide! :~(

Keep an eye on the AdventureX youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/adventurexpo

Starting with the Sunday talks, first up:

Francisco Gonzalez - Do's & Dont's of Writing in Adventure Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpjDFR94zo&feature=youtu.be

Next Florian Mehm & Stephen Brown

theo

Wow. We skygoblins had a great time. I don't think I've quite figured out who's who yet but you certainly are a lovely lot all of you, who I had the pleasure of bumping into!

I had loads of really awesome out-there adventure game design discussions at the pub too. There's nothing like pubbing with passionate designers. 8-) Crazy inspiring.

I really hope we'll get the chance to join in again next year. Huge thanks to Rebecca and Mark. You guys rule.

Cat - we wound up nearly screwed by the express trains as well. Must have been some hugeass delay somewhere central that day. Glad you made it! We did too, fortunately. We checked in at the airport pretty much the very last minute. An oddly hectic end to an otherwise wonderfully laid back weekend. :) Anyhow great meeting you, hope to see you next year too. :)

Btw awesome to see some vids up, gonna go have a look now. I missed Fransisco's talk, so excellent that it went online!

neon

Btw., we also had some trouble with transports because, naive as Nadine and me are, we thought we can just walk the way the bus goes and find the tube station (it turned out surprisingly different)... what took us an hour once and another hour the next day... and while she had to fly back to Munich and I had to fly back to Frankfurt, both from different terminals, we also had great fun in catching trains (at least me, who as a Gentlemen thought it's better to bring the Lady to the plane and then check how I get home).... Ahh... don't ask.

cat

I'm sorry to hear you also had troubles with your transportation. I thought about warning you guys, but didn't have any phone numbers - probably it's time to finally get a phone from THIS decade with internet and stuff (roll)

cat

Quote from: neon on Tue 09/12/2014 17:15:30
You HAVE my phone number :-)

OMG, I completely forgot about that! I'm so sorry :(
I was so nervous and in panic I would miss my flight...

FlyingMandarine

Heya!

I had never presented our game, A Poison Green, to anyone else than my family, my bathroom mirror and my cat Rouquinette, so I was quite apprehensive of having to talk to people in a language that's not even my own. Fortunately, people were receptive, smiling, and very welcoming. Sorry to those who asked me to come around to the pub for bailing out; my social anxiety got the best of me.

I already look forward to showing the progress we made on the game next year -- if all goes well, it should be close to completion by then!

Some URL-dropping if you don't mind:
The game's page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48207.0
Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/FarawayInd
And my Facebook page (for those who wish to stay in contact): Patrice Hermenault

Thank you to everyone, especially Mark and Rebecca! It seems to have been an overwhelming task for both of you as you rushed left and right, but you should know some people truly appreciated the efforts you put into it. :)

Until next year!

neon

Quote from: cat on Tue 09/12/2014 17:22:39
Quote from: neon on Tue 09/12/2014 17:15:30
You HAVE my phone number :-)

OMG, I completely forgot about that! I'm so sorry :(
I was so nervous and in panic I would miss my flight...

Don't worry, we made it. Glad you made it home :-)

Looking forward to meet you again next year!

Blount

Hi Everyone! AdventureX was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I almost didn't have time to socialize much cause the talks were ALL extremely interesting and I didn't want to miss any of those.
If anyone in the forum is living in London and wants to meet informally once in a while, please get in contact and we can figure something out.
Looking forward to the next one!!!

EDIT: As a small suggestion, IMHO there should be some time of small break of 15 mins between a talk and the next one, and the main break should leave time for lunch (more than 30 mins, probably an hour)

THANKS REBECCA AND MARK FOR SUCH AN AWESOME EVENT!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk