AGS Awards 2015: SOON

Started by , Fri 25/12/2015 09:57:49

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

I meant support (or get in on) the AGS awards ceremony tradition. Not specifically a MAGS tradition (if there is one, I wouldn't really know).

ddq

The AGS awards still exist?

m0ds

Heh, well...They are perhaps being brought back from a brief extinction. Hardly the scope or scale of the dinosaurs one...but yes some folks are making out it was or is award-pocalypse thats for sure (laugh) Judging by the length and breadth of discussion about them every, single, year, I'd say the awards still exist, positively or negatively, they are matter ;)

ddq

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Thu 26/05/2016 20:31:22
So who won what?
You'll have to tune in and watch to find out! :wink:

Stupot

It was just a suggestion. I didn't know if it was already set up in the client or not.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Mods on Thu 26/05/2016 17:28:48
So a few people are whinging and others with oh-so motivational comments like "fuck tradition"...There may not be much harmony here in the discussion, but I think we can all agree we mostly anticipate the tradition of receiving awards through the ceremony format.

Except its not the ceremony that's the problem here, it's the client. The client is neither tradition, nor a vital part of the awards. The fact is, the ceremony is late because having the awards in the client has taken precedence over having the awards. Here's a motivational comment: Have the awards in IRC, which is something we could have done a few times over with the number of Sundays that have passed in the time we've been talking about this.

Quote from: Mods on Thu 26/05/2016 17:28:48
For now though, as I'm completely un-involved in the technical side, I'm happy for the person that is to do it their way & by their time (even if I agree rebuilding the client was perhaps a bit extreme but beggars can't be choosers).

Also, I'll admit to being a little bit miffed that the fate of this year's awards now sits in the hands of (no offence, Jack) someone for whom this years ceremony will be their first as a community member. Yes, it was extreme to rebuild the client from scratch, and not something that absolutely needed to be done this close to the awards; as was pointed out by Snarky earlier in the thread, the job of getting the client ready was only as complicated as the person in charge of it wanted to make it. It seems it was also a decision made on the fly, since I don't remember it being discussed in more than passing.

As for beggars being choosers, I'll say it again: The awards don't need the client for them to function as intended. An IRC-only ceremony suited us for many years past, and I'm annoyed that we have allowed the situation to get to where it is because of a stubborn desire to use the client.

Look, I know it's easy for it to appear as though this is grumbling from the sidelines while somebody else does all the work, and I appreciate the fact that you took the responsibility to arrange this year's awards, but smooth sailing should take precedence over glitz and glam(!). The client is a fun way to hold the awards, sure, but it's only window-dressing. And when window-dressing takes focus off what's in the window...it needs to be torn down.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

[delete}

I'm more looking forward to the community feeling than the actual awards. So I'm fine with waiting in anticipation a little longer. But creators want feedback; writing an ideal-length-review on GameJolt is always nice.

LimpingFish

The title of this thread needs to be changed...
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 06/06/2016 00:09:22
The title of this thread needs to be changed...
Nah, the word "soon" in the gaming industry usually means twelve years. (laugh)

m0ds

Client info (download etc) and date will be in a new thread anytime now. basically this Sunday 20:00 is the (final) plan... client or just the winners data... either way, ags awards 2015 ends this coming sunday, that's for damn sure :P

Snarky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk