First game advice - Is a demo enough to prove a projects value?

Started by Myinah, Fri 10/05/2013 15:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Myinah

Hi Guys

I'm new to AGS but have written a full video game script that I want to get on and make, but I'm not 100% sure where to begin. Ideally I want the game to be commercial and professional looking so that I can build up a portfolio of work and one day sell the games I write. I have had some success with creative copy work in the past and I'm hoping that my puzzles will good enough that I can make some sort of career out of this. Of course plenty of us are inspired by independent studios that get themselves up and running and I guess this is my ultimate goal. Maybe it sounds silly, but I can only work from home because of my health and this is what I want to be doing really. I figure if I aim as high as I can I'll at least get close to where I want to be and so I'm starting from the bottom now of the ladder now :smiley:

I did have a great artist ready to work on the game with me but they have now had to drop out due to their increasing work load and family commitments. Now I'm in the position where, like many others, I want to get a talented artist on board (someone with similar goals and who believes in the project), but because I haven't proven myself yet by making a game of course I can't expect people to automatically take me seriously.

What would those of you who are experienced do in my position? Would you make the game with programmer art and then put up a recruitment ad? If so would you make a demo or a full game? Will a demo be enough? My game will be a full length one, the script isn't short by any means.

Of course I would love to just hire an artist, but its not going to be financially possible for me at this time. I know artists are few and far between but to any artists reading, what inspires you to work on a project?

I hope I posted this is the right section and I look forward to hearing some advice  :-D

Radiant

I would make a small game first, because the big game will be better for that experience. Also, having some street cred will make it easier to attract artists.

Anian

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 10/05/2013 15:34:25
I would make a small game first, because the big game will be better for that experience. Also, having some street cred will make it easier to attract artists.
Yes, maybe get accustomed to working with somebody and the actual engine and then start a bigger project. Yes it will dealy your dream project a bit, but it also might spark some new ideas and solutions you would want to use.

In general though:
You're in a position where you need to get people and you want to test people. Since it's not a paid project (and nothing wrong about that, it's even preferable for a first game), you need to correctly proclaim your goals, standards and show others you have the motivation to finish. Explain what the story is about, how much work there actually is (how much characters and backgrounds there are), what deadlines you were thinking of and what style and mood you see as appropriate (give examples of humor, action, drama that you've planned and art style similar to what you think will fit the story and atmosphere).
Also mention what type of gameplay you're planning on and if there's a specific mechanic (although that doesn't need much detail, but a type of GUI you were planning to use is useful).

Basically the more structure and enthusiasm you show, the better.
Oh, and there's a recruitment part of the forums where you can post your ad: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=20.0 read the rules and posts from other people (and what reactions they received) and then post there.

Good luck.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Problem

As the others said, just keep your first project(s) small. Make at least one small game before you start anything else - this will prove others that you are able to plan and actually finish a project. It's also a good way to learn the basics of game development, as you'll most likely make some mistakes at the beginning.
If you're working with volunteers, reliability is the biggest issue. There's always the possibility that a project fails just because a team member suddenly loses interest and just disappears without a trace. This is why people choose carefully who they work with. But if you start small and show some dedication, people are more likely to work with you. Still, that doesn't save you from being let down - this happened to me several times, so I know what I'm talking about. But eventually you'll find some reliable people to join your big project. Just be patient and work on your skills. :)

Myinah

Thank you that is all really helpful advice. I am going to write a short game to create to practice the programming and show I can complete a project. Hopefully I can find or create some reasonable art for it so it doesn't look too terrible lol  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk