This month's Slasher game

Started by heltenjon, Thu 09/05/2024 16:11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

Though it's sad that Slasher is no longer among us, he's left a legacy of games behind. And I for one, have not played them all. But I intend to. Perhaps some of you other fine people also intend to?

Well, I'll try to play one Slasher game each month and post some thoughts here. If someone else wants to play along, that's dandy. You may play any game of his and post any thought you may have; you don't have to follow my schedule at all. Some months I may not play and post, because life is like that. But I don't intend for this to be a chore or a duty, just something fun to do, while honouring our late game machine.

This month I played Sonic and friends in: Club House. This is a MAG(S) game (Slasher always called it MAG) for October 2016, with the theme Genre Shift.

Slasher's take on the theme was to make a point and click starring Sonic and other platform heroes. The plot goes: Sonic have inherited an old house and decides to make it a club house. The house has not been maintained, and he and his friends (Luigi, Tails and Alex Kidd) have to fix it up before their grand club house opening. It turns out that they also need to raise cash to pay the lease.

The game is not polished, but it is fun to play. The two characters I knew, Luigi and Sonic, were easily recognizable. All four have different abilities, and the player can switch between them at will. They move from room to room as a team, so there's little splitting up (except for sending one of them to the roof to fix the tv antenna). They also have their own inventories, as they see different things as useful. The puzzles largely consist of finding some fault in the house, finding the correct tools and/or spare parts, and assigning the correct character for the job. Unsurprisingly, Luigi turns out to be the most versatile as a craftsman and plumber, but all have their jobs if success is to be had. The characters also are portrayed as friends, helping each other and cheering each other on. It's a feel-good game that can be solved by trial and error.

Nice one, and I'm glad to have played it. Perhaps you want to play it now?  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk