Has anyone tried a "Loom" Sequel fangame?

Started by PureGhostGR, Thu 23/10/2003 18:03:32

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

Spoiler
Well, the guy who was supposed to be keeping an eye on Bobbin touches him and is destroyed.  Is that an extra animation or is it in all the versions?  If it's not, then I can't imagine what the extra animation is.  If it is, how does he die in the non-expert mode?  I have never played non-expert (at least not past the first island) because I am a musician and I like the challenge.
[close]
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Las Naranjas

In the non expert modes the camera (so to speak) is on the head cleric dude on the balcony when Bobbin removes his hood, and there's a scream from inside. Then it cuts back and Bobbin is alone and he says "I said if he was afraid of nothing he shouldn't look", which implies the weavers are just eyes insides hoods....

But in the CD version, it's the touch and dissapear version on all difficulties.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

Ah, ok.  So I DID get the extra thing.  Thanks, Las.

AGA

* AGA gouges people.

Loom was awful, the interface totally ruined what could have otherwise been an alright adventure game.

remixor

How so?  ??? I thought the interface was excellent.  I loved the fact that they pulled off an adventure with no inventory management.  There were no extraneous factors.  All you had do "interface" with was the distaff, which made total sense in the context of the game.

AGA

I guess I'm just used to 'traditional' adventure GUIs. I just really didn't like the using magic spells to accomplish things.

Meowster

Oh sure. I tried to make a Loom Sequel, but I couldn't think of the backgrounds. I mean, I had the core, "LOOM SUCKS" embedded into every background image, but I couldn't think of stuff to build AROUND it.

Anym

I think the interface was one of the best things of Loom. I wish more games would try to be creative. I liked the way there were more solutions to a puzzle by using different spells, and that spells would also work backwards.

On a second thought, perhaps it's a good thing that most games don't try to be "creative", but a creative approach that actually works well is nice to have every once in a while.

Some way other than pen & paper to keep track of the spells would have been nice tough.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Las Naranjas

The boxed CD came with a special book of threads to write them in, as well as little historical notes about each of them.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Anym

I know. I DO have it. Were you implying otherwise? :o I still have use a pencil, don't I? And as the game randomizes the spells in every game, you might want to use one with a soft tip. :-\

I even liked the fact that not all spells known to the Guild (and mentioned in the booklet) appear in the game.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

remixor

I really liked having to write down the drafts myself, actually.  It made me feel like I was more immersed into the game world.  In many ways I prefer it to newer adventures which automatically record codes and numbers for you.  Since it was a LucasArts game, you could never get stuck because you forgot to write one down; there was always another opportunity.  If Sierra made Loom, it probably would have been insane, but to me the end result was a masterpiece.

Gilbert

Quote from: Las Naranjas on Fri 24/10/2003 22:22:36
The boxed CD came with a special book of threads to write them in, as well as little historical notes about each of them.

Well the boxless bundle version included all these stuffs too, just not the box.

Las Naranjas

I was under the impression that the version that came with sound cards and was apparently the most widely distributed didn't come with it.

Oh well.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

magintz

I've never played loom but from what I've heard it sounds pretty good. I downloaded Spyros' template of Loom and thought that everything was so original.

Someone mentioned FoY, well thats an individual project that has original art, plot and story, the only thing they've used is the name Indiana Jones, and considering its a non-profit fan creation I can't see why not. It's no different from a fan site, fan art, fan music or fan story, so why should the fact that it's a game make it any different from the above?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

LucasFan

QuoteHas anyone tried a "Loom" Sequel fangame?

"My favourite was Loom. I thought it was an incredible product. I wanted to buy the rights from them to do a sequel, but never did."

Ken Williams

Gilbert

I don't know, but sorta think that the world in Torin's Passage was a bit inspired by Loom.

remixor

I always wanted to play Torin's Passage.  When it came out, the graphics blew me away but at the time I didn't have any spare cash and I never got around to buying it.  From what I've heard, it's certainly no classic but it seems like it's worth a look.

Nacho

Quote from: big brother on Fri 24/10/2003 03:13:07
Loom was clever, innovative, and stand-alone, definitely top ten on my list.

I don't think that anyone could make a sequel (or prequel) with comparative story or execution.

The story doesn't really have room for a sequel anyways.

Just out of curiousity, has everyone played the 256 color VGA version? Outstanding.

Ditto all... Loom is not very loved by the mass publis, but I really loved the athmosphere, and the VGA version is supperb.

I thought on doing a sequel, but I don´t really know to copy the early 90´s Lucas style... BTW, I have the storyline somewhere, if anybody is interested...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Las Naranjas

Remixor - there's a ripped CD version there http://oldgames.bgbest.net/look.php?&what=adventure&from=200 if you've given up on legitimate avenues. I haven't downloaded it though.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Hinders

I have the cd-version of loom ;D
Can´t get past the copy-protection :P
----

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk