Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Awesome.  Any other takers?

I think, since there's a strong probability that people will be arriving different dates that we'll swing by a couple of Toronto locations for convenience's sake.  I think Yorkdale mall is a forsure, because it has easy parking, easy access to the freeway, and most important of all it's on a subway route.  So if folks are in Toronto a day or two early they can tour the town and still hook up with us pretty easily.  Then we can swing by the airport (again?) on the way out to Bayfield.

AGA

It does seem the most sensible option. I expect I'll end up doing this.

Pumaman

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Thu 08/03/2007 17:08:23I'll be coming up from London via coach (no car or license sadly) and could rendevous in Stratford, Kitchener or Woodstock depending on whatever route is more convenient.

You can get from London to Toronto by coach? Screw this flight malarky, let's do that!

QuoteIt does seem the most sensible option. I expect I'll end up doing this.

I'll do whatever everyone else is doing.

AGA

A coach to Canada? That'll only take a month.

MrColossal

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 09/03/2007 19:46:15

I'll do whatever everyone else is doing.

We're all jumping off the Brooklyn bridge.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Baron

Pumaman

So, AGA, Matt (are we the only Brittensiens?), what are your thoughts on flights? I just checked on the Zoom website and there are no flights available on the 19th or 20th, so with them we'd have to go on the 21st.

Flyglobespan.com seem to have some flights for 386.00 return from Stansted to Toronto John C Munro airport (is this far from Pearson?), but I don't know if they're a reputable airline or not...

Matt Goble

http://www.canadianaffair.com/

Again, these guys can only do 21-27th July, but Heathrow to Pearson.

Matt

Baron

John C. Munroe =Hamilton Int'l Airport.  It's feasible to pick folks up there, and recommendable to fly into due to marginal airport taxes (which were $50 at Pearson per ticket vs. $10 at Hamilton the last time I flew).  It is kind of in the middle of nowhere if you're coming early though....

AGA

You have a Cambridge, a Stratford, a Middlesex Centre, a Grimsby, a Norwich, a Lincoln, and a York. Seems London is not the only English place-name you have the real one of.

Pumaman

It's plageurism, sir!! Canada should be expelled from the exam!!

Grundislav

Unoriginal immigrants strike again!  That's always perplexed me...why leave a country and settle someplace brand new only to call every place the same names you left behind?!

Pumaman

Andail

But isn't this the case with the entire North America? My idea is that the names of all locations in each and every state are identical, only sort of re-shuffled in terms of sizes and relative positions.

Baron

We're getting better at toponymy (the naming of places):  Toronto used to be called York, and Kitchener used to be called Berlin.  Having said that, Cambridge is just an amalgam of Galt, Preston & Hespeller, two of which were fairly original names, so I guess there's been some backsliding.... ::)   Swastika Ontario is sticking to their guns though: they figure they had the name first so Hitler can go blow himself.  Awesome.  Just awesome.

Medical Waste

THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

Baron

Greetings Mittensers,
      It has been brought to my attention that I should firm up the AGS Bus schedule so that people can plan flights, etc., accordingly.  This isn't set in stone, and if there are any big problems let me know, but the plan so far is:

Depart Yorkdale Mall (Toronto) 12:00 noon on Friday July 20th
                  Arrive Pearson Int'l Airport (Toronto) 12:30 pm (going to arrival levels of various terminals)
                  Depart Pearson Int'l Airport (Toronto) 1:30 pm
                  **Arrive Munroe Int'l Airport (Hamilton) 2:30 pm
                  **Depart Munroe Int'l Airport (Hamilton) 3:00 pm (it's only one terminal)
                  Drive through Woodstock, Ontario, approximately 5pm
                  Hit Bayfield by 7pm, a little later if we stop for grub.

**Note, if no one's going to Munroe than we'll get to Bayfield about two hours earlier.

Depart Bayfield approx. 10am on Friday July 27th
                  Reverse directions and times above
                  Meaning you could be at Munroe by 2pm for sure (but we'll skip this if no one is flying out that day)
                  Pearson (Toronto) by 4pm (gotta allow for rush hour)
                  Yorkdale by 6pm (if necessary)

-Most flights to Europe fly overnight, so you should be good for check-in times, etc.

Unless anyone will miss the bus and/or flight due to this schedule that'll be how we run it.  If you fall into the boat just mentioned just give a shout and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers!

jetxl

That reminds me, I booked my flight last week.

Arrival: Toronto, Lester B. Pearson International. 20/07/07 16:45
Departure: Toronto, Lester B. Pearson International. 03/08/07 06:45
(I'm staying longer and explore the rest of north america)

I will rent a car, but I'd like to tail the AGS bus, if possible.

Baron, from my experience with airports, I'm afraid waiting just 1 hour isn't enough. Think big, think slow.

Baron

Dang!  A little research of incoming flights does suggest that most European flights arrive in the late afternoon.  Bugger.
OK - Revised plan:

Leave Yorkdale at 3pm, Friday July 20th
          Arrive at Pearson Int'l at approx. 4pm.
          Gather people up between 4-7pm (while making shuttle runs to a nearby bar/restaurant?)
          Hit Munroe Int'l up by 8-8:30pm (if necessary)
          Get to Bayfield around midnight.

Fortunately dropping people off at airports is much more predicatable:
          Leave Bayfield by 10am Friday July 27th
          Get to Munroe (Hamilton) by 2pm
          Get to Pearson (Toronto) by 3:30pm

Disco

I'm still trying to decide whether to take the coach to Pearson or Munroe. Does everyone know where they are flying yet? Do any of you who are taking vehicles from your private collection have plans to meet and greet at either of the airports?

If the bulk of those flying in end up going to Pearson I may choose to go with the Team Munroe. This way the larger group would not have a monopoly on fun :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk