Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylpher

AGA

custard: speaking from personal experience, exams are usually at the end of May or start of June, with university breaking up for the year at near the middle of June. So you should be fine for any time in July.

The cabin idea (and prices!) look good. I'm a definite maybe.

Baron

Mittens in Ontario -are you SERIOUS?!?
      Count me in for sure.  Anywhere between July 1 -August 31 is fine by me.  Heck, have it whenever -I'll make the time.  I suppose as a resident of Ontario that I would be remiss in my duty to the AGS community if I didn't volunteer to help out in some way.  I have my Ontario commercial bus driver's license, for starters, which means I can rent and drive just about anything to get people from/to an airport.  If you're looking for a nice small cheap airport to fly into I'd definitely recommend Hamilton Int'l.  You'll save $30-$50 CND in airport taxes over Pearson Int'l (Toronto), you'll get your baggage in 10 min. instead of 1 hr., and you'll be about 1/2 hr. from this cottage (vs. 1.5 hrs. + from Toronto, depending on traffic).  I don't think you can fly into Hamilton directly from Europe, but if you have the opportunity to make a connection I would seriously consider it.  I know you can fly to Hamilton from the U.S.

As a native Ontarian I have to tell you guys that the cottage looks a little....erm.... desolate.  It'd be a shame to have Mittens in ON and not have a proper lake-side cottage, but I suppose that might cost quite a bit more.  $2000 CND a week is pretty good considering the size, especially for the short summer season.  I can definitely rustle up at least five tents, which would augment the occupancy potential.

QUINTAROS: Is there an organizing committee that I can join or something?

Domino

Are there any cottages for rent near Crystal Beach? I am not sure if they are all owned by people or if they are rentable. It is to bad the park isn't there anymore. Probably one of the best i have ever been too.

I live about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls.

Anarcho

I might be starting a new job so i can't be 100% certain i can get the time off, but I definitely plan on going.

2000 bucks for the week is a killer deal.  We should scoop that up while we still can.

thewalrus

I know most people don't know me all that well but I might be very interested in coming. I live on Long Island, N.Y. so the Toronto area is not a far plane flight for me at all. I'd love to be able to go with my fiance but we do have small children, so I doubt that we both would be able to attend. (plus she'd probably just consider us all computer geeks anyways, LOL) When you guys set a more certain date, I will be able to figure out if this is a true option for me. I'd really like to think that it would be very possible for me....  I will be definitly keeping an eye on this situation. Plus, I do agree that the price sounds more then reasonable. (maybe I'm just used to the ridiculas costs of living on L.I.) I'm sure I will have more to say at another time.....

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: AGA on Wed 11/10/2006 00:27:14
custard: speaking from personal experience, exams are usually at the end of May or start of June, with university breaking up for the year at near the middle of June. So you should be fine for any time in July.

Hooray. Matches up with the term dates I have, wasn't sure if they would include exams or not.

SSH

Just to remind people:

www.canadianaffair.com www.flyzoom.com and www.flyglobespan.com to flights UK->Canada and some of them go to Hamilton airport.

Miez

Finances allowing I'd love to be there as well...

Becky

Adam and I will probably definitely be going :)  Uni for me finishes June 15th, so anytime later than that is fine!

Quintaros

Quote from: BaRoN on Wed 11/10/2006 00:48:14
I have my Ontario commercial bus driver's license, for starters, which means I can rent and drive just about anything to get people from/to an airport.Ã,  If you're looking for a nice small cheap airport to fly into I'd definitely recommend Hamilton Int'l.Ã,  You'll save $30-$50 CND in airport taxes over Pearson Int'l (Toronto), you'll get your baggage in 10 min. instead of 1 hr., and you'll be about 1/2 hr. from this cottage (vs. 1.5 hrs. + from Toronto, depending on traffic).Ã,  I don't think you can fly into Hamilton directly from Europe, but if you have the opportunity to make a connection I would seriously consider it.Ã,  I know you can fly to Hamilton from the U.S.

Your bus driving skills would be a definite asset.
Good advice on the airports.Ã,  I just assumed for simplicity that most people would be flying into Pearson.

Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  As a native Ontarian I have to tell you guys that the cottage looks a little....erm.... desolate.Ã,  It'd be a shame to have Mittens in ON and not have a proper lake-side cottage, but I suppose that might cost quite a bit more.Ã,  $2000 CND a week is pretty good considering the size, especially for the short summer season.Ã,  I can definitely rustle up at least five tents, which would augment the occupancy potential.

I agree that the cottage grounds aren't exactly picturesque which I think is why the price is so reasonable.Ã,  It would be nice to have a lake-side place but it would cost a lot more and probably sleep a lot less.Ã,  I think the place is adequate for our needs but options are still open for consideration.Ã,  I don't think we should allow for any additional occupancy with tents.Ã,  This year's mittens was the biggest ever with 21 people and it was already a bit cumbersome so I'd say 30 should be the absolute limit.Ã, 

QUINTAROS: Is there an organizing committee that I can join or something?

No committees...if you have an idea PM me or post here.Ã,  We'll definitely make use of your knowledge of the area and perhaps send you on Chrille's scouting mission.

Quote from: thewalrus on Wed 11/10/2006 05:34:39
I'd love to be able to go with my fiance but we do have small children, so I doubt that we both would be able to attend.

Yeah I think the consenus is that people should not bring children.Ã,  If you chose to vacation in the area you'd be welcome to meet up with us as family allowed.

Quote from: Domino on Wed 11/10/2006 01:19:35
Are there any cottages for rent near Crystal Beach?

I'll look into it.

Disco

yay, Niagra Falls is a whole 4 hours drive for me :P This would be the least expensive AGS outing for me yet. I am going.

As for dates, well August 4-11 (Saturday to Saturday) are booked, but the remainder of the month and July are untouched. I am fine with anything after Brittens but before September.

Since people tend to book these things way in advance, does anyone else agree that we should establish a fund for deposits, even before we set dates? That way we can reserve as soon as the timeline is known.

Anarcho

That place is definitely kind of ugly.  Maybe we can look around for other options?

This place will hold 20: http://www.cottage-canada-usa.com/listing/0057.htm

I'm sorta wondering how many people will actually come.  Last time Mittens was held in North America it was rather small, right?  From my own experience trying to get a US-based gathering going, it's hard getting people to come out.  But then again, this is MITTENs...

Grundislav

I'd say we should probably seriously consider booking the place at the latest by February or March.  By that time most people should have a better idea if they'll be able to make it or not, since it's after the holidays when all those unexpected expenses tend to pop up.

Disco

Quote from: Anarcho on Wed 11/10/2006 15:47:05
That place is definitely kind of ugly.  Maybe we can look around for other options?

Sure, there is plenty of time. Don't forget to check for villas. I've seen a few nice ones...

http://www.villarenters.com/advert_summary.asp?ref=2883&rag=10821A&rcam=myvillarenters&noclick=true&unbrand=
and
http://www.villarenters.com/advert_summary.asp?ref=22971&rag=10821A&rcam=myvillarenters&noclick=true&unbrand=

These look alright, but only sleep ten, though I imagine that to consider bed sleeping only.

Hostels can be rented by private groups as well for an entire week, maybe we could consider that? Something out-of-the-way perhaps. I'll look into this more when I get home.

Quintaros

That's right, there's still plenty of time to consider other options.Ã,  We can't book a place until we know how many people are coming anyway.Ã,  About 20 have expressed interest so far.

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 11/10/2006 16:46:30
I'd say we should probably seriously consider booking the place at the latest by February or March. By that time most people should have a better idea if they'll be able to make it or not, since it's after the holidays when all those unexpected expenses tend to pop up.

I'll keep an eye on how quickly places are being booked and if it appears that places are filling up, I'll advance the deadline for confirmation.  I don't have any issues with paying the booking fee myself and being re-imbursed during Mittens to avoid shuffling money around in the meantime.

I don't think we should be dismissing a site because it is ugly.Ã,  I think available room,Ã,  price and potential for activities are more important.Ã,  The places linked by Anarcho and Disco cost more for less room.Ã, 

Hostels cost between $20-30 per night.Ã,  If you find the right one it might be cheaper but I'd rather have the privacy of a cottage/cabin.

jetxl

I did a quick search, and found flights to Ontario for â,¬ 4,000.00! Tell me that can't be right. (I searched for flights in November 2006 AND July 2007)

It's ten times cheaper to fly to New York, rent a car and drive to Canada.

Quintaros

I think you can do better than that.Ã, 

scotch

Amsterdam to Toronto in July is about 561 USD (on kayak.com)
Cheapest I've seen from London is 462 USD.

Paying european taxes and all it'll be a little more, but it's only a bit more than flying to NY in general.

Scummbuddy

I plan on attending, and also to be there when the first day is, not this "I'll show up five days late" thing again.

And Disco and I can talk Firefly until our heart's content.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk