Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco

Due to kilometer restrictions on the van, may I propose that we see Toronto either the first day or the last day after we have spent our final night? The possibililty that some people may have to take public transportation has already been discussed in this thread, and being that everyone has or will pay $24.50 CAN for their share of the cabin that night, I think it is only fair that Scummbuddy get a ride to Stratford for the bus to Toronto on that day, I have already checked and it is $32 CAN for a single for both routes on the 26th.

As stated before, we have restrictions on how far we can go without surcharges, and ~15 people (not sure what it is at the moment) have already put money toward that final night way in advance, and that amount of people displaced in Toronto for a night might be hard to put up, with some possibility of paying for another night, something at least I know I can't do.

Scummbuddy

First of all, I just want to say that I had no idea that the airport was 500 kilimeters/310 miles away. That would be waaaay too much to ask of people to do two days in a row. I don't mind paying for the night I won't be there at the cabin, and I am totally more inclined to do public transportation in the form of a bus ride to the airport, especially if the cost is down as low as you say. I may take 6 hours of a ride, but I'll live.

Could you explain the bus costs from the cabin to the airport more, and perhaps a probable duration time?

I certainly was afraid of the cost of a cab ride to the airport which would probably be more than the trip costs combined.

And why is our cabin soo far away from an airport!!  ;D
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Baron

1)  We would almost certainly have to return to Bayfield after a Toronto daytrip, since it would be prohibitively expensive to stay in the city and prohibitively uncomfortable to sleep fifteen people in the van. ;)  Big cities aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I think an optional daytrip for one day out of seven would probably be worthwhile for those of you who are prone to non-culture shock.  I agree that this -and other side trips - can be decided at Mittens.

2) I can't be bothered to determine exact distances, but my impression of driving times is that it would be roughly 2.5 -3hr drive to the Bayfield cabin from Toronto airport.  The reason the cabin is so far away from an airport is because the only real airport in SW Ontario is in Toronto, and most decent (and affordable) cottage land is at least 200km from the city.  So we actually did rather well, I think.

3) THE PICK UP PLAN: I was going to stick a blue cup on the side of the van and drive from terminal to terminal until someone hopped in....  I guess I should compile a list of who is arriving at which terminal and set some concrete pick-up times.  Every terminal has an arrivals deck where taxi-cabs and boyfriends jostle with each other and the omni-present traffic cops, so that would be the place you'll catch me.  If you're hitching a ride with the AGS Bus please PM me your flight #, arrival time and terminal number (if you are a group just one PM is fine).

4) The bus/train from Stratford is a good idea for Scummbuddy -problem solved!

5) PMing cell ("mobile") number presently....

Pumaman

Got your phone number, thanks.

In terms of pickup, since Radiant isn't arriving until 8pm, I guess the easiest thing is for the rest of us at the airport to wait around / do some of our own sightseeing, and then for you to pick us up at about 9pm?

By the way, flight details for me, AGA and mattgoble are:
Air Transat TS423, London Gatwick to Toronto, arriving 14:50.

It doesn't seem to say which terminal we arrive at -- would it be easiest for you to pick a terminal and then we can go there and wait for you at the appropriate time?

Disco

Just checked the Greater Toronto Airport Authority website. They mention nothing of flight TS423 right now, but it seems that every last Air Transat flight besides arrives at terminal 3.

Scummbuddy

Am I right in assuming that there will be some sort of internet access at this cabin?

And since we'll be hosted by our Canadian friends, shall I assume we'll be subjected to watching the wonderful cartoon "Clone High". If not I'll bring my DVDs to subject to all.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Grundislav

I'll be bringing my Venture Bros DVDs, to bring some of our American culture to Canada.

Radiant

Quote from: Grundislav on Mon 16/07/2007 03:12:50
I'll be bringing my Venture Bros DVDs, to bring some of our American culture to Canada.
Huh? You guys have culture now?  ;)

Hm, there's some Dutch "culture" that I'm sure I wouldn't get past the customs office. However, I can bring some DVDs.

jetxl

Suggestion: Maybe we should all exchange phone numbers?
(In greece I couldn't call but I could text message)

SSH

You Europeans do know that you need a quad or tri-band phone for it to work at all in North America? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

Baron

It would only be a one off "Where are you?!????" or "Where am I?!?!!!!" conversation anyway -just plug your credit card into an airport payphone and take the $4 hit.

AGA

Quote from: SSH on Mon 16/07/2007 11:41:43
You Europeans do know that you need a quad or tri-band phone for it to work at all in North America? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

I think pretty much every phone made in the last 5 years is tri-band. Mine certainly is, and it's a 4-year-old Nokia.

MrColossal

So, what's the bed situation like again? I know the place has sleeping room for 20 people but does that mean 10 double beds or just "there is enough floor space for people." Sorry if it was covered somewhere in this 13 page thread.

If no bed I need to get out there and buy an air mattress!

Also, can we give you the money over paypal now or are we bringing the money and paying for the place right then or or or?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Quintaros

Alright…one more update on attendees.  Removing Dave Gilbert and adding Kevbot, Scummbuddy and Pesty.  That gives 16 attendees and a total cost of $3100.   Split 16 ways the cost is $193.75.  Here is a summary of how much each attendee still owes in CND dollars.

1.   Quintaros :           $193.75
2.   Grundislav:          $135.25
3.   Mr. Colossal:         $132.91
4.   MattGoble:         $137.88
5.   Disco:            $135.03
6.   AGA:            $134.51
7.   Pumaman:         $134.51
8.   Radiant:         fully paid…in fact I owe him 84 cents
9.   BaRoN:         $134.75
10.   Ivy            $134.80
11.   Renegade Implementator   $133.75
12.   Jet            $89.25
13.   Jess            $193.75
14.   Kevbot            $193.75
15.   Scummbuddy         $193.75
16.   Pesty            $193.75

(Dave Gilbert I'll send you a PM regarding a refund for your deposit later this week.  And while I'm doing that I may have to purchase some games from you as well.)

Quote from: BaRoN on Thu 05/07/2007 01:35:59
@ QUINTAROS:  Will our ETA of midnight in Bayfield affect taking possession of the cottage?
No…there is a key box that we can access at any time.

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sun 15/07/2007 23:37:35
Am I right in assuming that there will be some sort of internet access at this cabin?

And since we'll be hosted by our Canadian friends, shall I assume we'll be subjected to watching the wonderful cartoon "Clone High". If not I'll bring my DVDs to subject to all.

I would make the opposite assumption about internet access.  If you really need access, I suggest you do a websearch now to find an internet café somewhere in nearby Bayfield.

I hadn't planned on exposing everyone to Clone High as a representation of Canadian culture.  Definitely a funny show though.   

I should note that the cottage has a VCR not a DVD player.  Unless someone brings a player or can connect a laptop to the television there isn't much point in bringing DVDs.  If someone can do this please post.

For my part, I'd like to show "Terry" a movie about Canadian hero Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope. 

Quote from: MrColossal on Mon 16/07/2007 15:17:35
So, what's the bed situation like again? I know the place has sleeping room for 20 people but does that mean 10 double beds or just "there is enough floor space for people."

There are beds available for 20 adults…but that doesn't mean 20 single beds.  Some people are going to have to shack up.  We'll work it out as fairly as possible once we see the exact situation but no one will need to sleep on the floor. 

One other note…I've said a couple of times that towels are provided but re-reading some communications with the cottage owner, I should clarify that these are washroom towels for showering and that they would prefer we brought our own towels for swimming, hot-tubbing etc.

The Ivy

I have Clone High on DVD, if someone wants to bring their laptop.

Edit: Also, Kevbot and I will plan on being at the Indigo store at Yorkdale mall after 4pm. BaRoN, what time do you think the AGS bus will be arriving there?

MrColossal

Quote from: Quintaros on Mon 16/07/2007 16:35:06

3.   Mr. Colossal:         $132.91
13.   Jess            $193.75

It's "Colossal"! One L two S's and one L!

Also, paypal the money to you?

There are beds available for 20 adults…but that doesn't mean 20 single beds.  Some people are going to have to shack up.  We'll work it out as fairly as possible once we see the exact situation but no one will need to sleep on the floor. 

Dibs on sleeping with Jess!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Scummbuddy

Damn!

Anyways, I'll bring a DVD player, no problem. And I wouldn't mind paying you over PayPal either, as to keep down the amount of money I'll need to convert for this fun trip.

By the way, I'm already planning on hosting one, if not two, arts and crafts day happy fun times. You'll love one of them, I promise.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Quintaros

MrColossal, sorry about the spelling error.

Scummbuddy, thanks for volunteering your DVD player. 

I'd prefer not to use PayPal for any further money transfer due to transaction charges.  Please, just bring enough cash with you to settle up during the event.

Pumaman

Oh, do you have the full postal address of the cottage, that we could put on our luggage just in case the airline screws up and loses it?

Quintaros

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk