Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Considering that the Tour of France has been crap without Lance, and next one might be, yeah, Lore and me are in.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Privateer Puddin'

I have to not fail any exams, since the resit period goes on to the 27th of July, that should be enough incentive, i hope. :D

Matt Goble

AGA

DragonRose

Hmmm... southern Ontario you say? I may have only been lurking lately, but I'd love to go!
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

magintz

those dates sound good to me also
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

The Ivy

Yep, the dates sound A-OK to me.

Haddas

This is intriguing. I'll show up if I can afford it/am allowed

Quintaros

Becky

I'm out of the running.  Checked current flights, far too expensive for me now, and by the time I have money to spend, they will be astronomical.

Chrille

Money's not an issue for me. I can't ask for time off work this early, well I could, but I'd get no for an answer. I might sign up and just hope I'll be allowed to go. But it'd be a huge bummer if I'm denied time off that week

I have made plans already for a week or so before Mittens and then again just a few days after, I was hoping I'd be able to stay an extra week in Canada, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. I'd still like to come for that one week though.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Pumaman

I can understand why as the host you'd like to get firm commitments and deposists from people, but you'll probably find that for a lot of people it's very difficult to commit so far in advance. I probably wouldn't be able to do so by the end of the year -- setting a deadline like March might bring in more people when things are more definite?

jetxl

What a great week to get fired.
I'll be a pharmaceutical test subject in january (hey, it's better than turning tricks), so I get some big bread afterwards.
If I squat a building (which isn't technically illegal in Netherland, just a hassle) instead of renting a â,¬300,- a month closet, I should be able to live like a prince till summer and still have â,¬600 to spare on a trip to Canada.
But that's AFTER january.

Privateer Puddin'

Out.Ã,  I'll meet you Americans/Canadians one day! ¬¬

Quintaros

Okay...okay...maybe this end of year deadline needs to be revised. Ã, 

In my work situation, the earlier I decide I want a specific week off the easier it is to get approval but I guess this is not true for all.

To me March seems late but I'm a bit of a worrier and like to book things early to assure availability. Ã, For now I'll push the deadline back to the end of January so that people are at least booking vacations within the same calendar year.

Baron

So, where do we send a check to again?

I think CJ and Quintaros are both right:  the venue should be booked sooner rather than later, but the sign up deadline can be comfortably pushed back to the beginning of spring.  It would be nice to have a definite number of attendees as well as some cash in hand before booking, but realistically this is not going to happen.  At least, not before all the best places are already booked.  I think if we establish a ceiling of accommodation/food costs per person (say $200 CND for the week?) and estimate a minimum of 20 attendees, then we can plan on having $4000 to spend.  If there are more attendees, as is likely, then the cost will come down, or we'll be able to provide more elaborate services (transportation, group entry fees for attractions, matching team jerseys, booze..... etc.).
     Now is, however, definitely the time to book, as venues disappear quickly in the spring time.  We should assemble a short list of advertised cottages and start making enquiries ASAP.  Do you want me to organize this?

BaRoN

AGA

Quintaros: in Europe at least, all banks have a thing called IBAN (International Bank Account Number, I believe), which would allow you to receive money by bank transfer from any other bank. If you have one, that would be a good way of taking deposits...

lo_res_man

I might make it, If I can get a phreeking job. Ontario, HO!
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Matt Goble

I'm still interested, and have no problem with the deposit, but until the boss puts a 2007 calender on the wall it's a bit tricky to start booking time off work.

I will give you a firm answer before the end of January, and that answer should be a yes  ;)

On a semi related note, those of you who came to Mittens or Brittens this year and didn't recieve a copy of the annual, drop me a pm with your postal address so I card start sending them out next week.  I'll do a proper announcement and all at the weekend, but while it's on my mind...

Quintaros

With regards to paying deposits:

Canadian Banks have a service called Interac E-mail Money Transfer for transferring money from one account to another. There is a charge of ~$1.50 for the sender.

I'm not certain if it's available through international banks but I'm looking into it.Ã, 

<Edit>  This option is only available through Canadian banks.  Please see first post for more details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk