Mittens 2008: location debate

Started by Grundislav, Tue 31/07/2007 23:57:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Add me to the "likely" list.

And also,

:)

Seriously though, given the trouble some people have at "crossing the pond", I think it's only fair to hold next Mittens in Europe if the last one was in America. Also, we should try to hold one in Australia one of these years.

Ghormak

I want to go!

France or Miami both sound good. Neither are going to be cheap for me, but obviously crossing the ocean to Miami would be a little more expensive. Either way, I'll start saving.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Grundislav

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 01/08/2007 09:09:33
Seriously though, given the trouble some people have at "crossing the pond", I think it's only fair to hold next Mittens in Europe if the last one was in America. Also, we should try to hold one in Australia one of these years.

This really goes both ways, as you're going to have people on either side who can't/won't come every time.  Australia would be great, but we've already tried that once and it didn't work.

Also, I don't really think the "it's fair to hold it in Europe because it was in North America last time" argument is valid, considering the first 2 Mittens were in Europe, followed by the USA one, then two more consecutive European ones before this year's in Canada.

Sam.

If it is France, I may be living there by then and be able to find accomocation.

I vote france.

Bit early for plans though isnt it?
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Pet Terry

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 01/08/2007 11:45:08
Quote from: Radiant on Wed 01/08/2007 09:09:33

This really goes both ways, as you're going to have people on either side who can't/won't come every time.  Australia would be great, but we've already tried that once and it didn't work.

Also, I don't really think the "it's fair to hold it in Europe because it was in North America last time" argument is valid, considering the first 2 Mittens were in Europe, followed by the USA one, then two more consecutive European ones before this year's in Canada.

Agreed.

I would vote for Miami, but there doesn't seem to be any vote anymore, so it doesn't seem to matter. I have always wanted to visit Florida, but I have never wanted to visit France. So the question is, should I skip Mittens France and save the money for Mittens Florida so that I can definitely afford to go there, or should I go to France and hope I can afford to go to Florida too?

It seems that flights to France are quite cheap, though, so it's likely I could afford it. And seeing that other Finns might be going too I'll just start saving now.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

magintz

I also think France would be better for selfish reasons, I know I have very little money and can say that many people are in the same boat and the majority of people are European based so keeping the costs low for as many people as possible would be better; it would also give me two years to save up enough money for Miami.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Radiant

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 01/08/2007 11:45:08
This really goes both ways, as you're going to have people on either side who can't/won't come every time.

Yes, it does go both ways. If the 2008 Mittens is in France, I would use this argument to reason that the 2009 Mittens should be in America. Or Australia :)

m0ds

Put me down for France. It's also kind of cool to think we're saving the mighty CJ a bit of money, too.

Although it's become obvious he doesn't spend his money on anything other than AGS events.

:p

PS - GHORMAK ATTENDS?!?!1 Many people have been awaiting this day!!!

I think it'd be good to get many more group activities on the go in France. I don't know what you really got up to group wise in Canada, but we really do need to sort out this segmenting thing. From the second Mittens to the last I attended, I've seen it happen, and like Quintaros, it pisses me off too. We should ALL learn to float about :)

The Ivy

For all the fun we had at Mittens, I can't believe we're arguing about group stuff now. Those of you who went know what a fantastic week it was, we had plenty of group activities, and I also had plenty of chances to talk to everyone individually. I for one don't really want to spoil that by arguing small points over the internet. Everyone play nice! ;)

As for France, I went to Paris this year, but I'd love to go back and see more of the country. If we travel outside the big cities, though, there's less chance that the locals will speak English. Can we do a quick show of hands of people who actually speak French?

*raises hand*

I played translator for my family this year, but it was exhausting by the end of the week. It'd be nice if we had a few other speakers along too (Radiant, I'm looking in your direction ;)).

AGA

Quote from: Zooty on Wed 01/08/2007 12:02:03Bit early for plans though isnt it?

No, it isn't. Places book up far in advance, and what would you prefer - getting a perfect place, or having to opt for somewhere less good because we left it too late?

I can read French pretty well, and speak it passably.

Quintaros

Quote from: Pesty on Wed 01/08/2007 06:07:31
Quintaros, I'm sorry you felt like I only hung out with a couple people during Mittens, or that anyone was  being "clique-y",  that was never my intention, nor anyone else's I'm sure.
I was absolutely only kidding, as my only real opposition to France is that it'll be extremely expensive for me, and me going to Miami is much more possible.

Thanks Pete.  I never suspected that anyone was deliberately excluding others.  There will always be certain friendships that develop within large groups that are stronger than others.  I guess I made it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.  So I'm sorry to have mentioned it.

Nacho

I can speak french like the american Indian natives spoke English in the early Western holywood movies, but as a Spanish, if they are friendly and they speak slow, I can understand quite a lot.

Anyway, Dart speaks french. Could someone do the effort to localise her and ask her to come to mittens?
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

m0ds

What exactly do you mean by "localise"? Wink wink nudge nudge..

Sinitrena

France sounds great - and not too expansive for me. I would probably attend.

Creed Malay

Colour me French, man. I shall be there. After years of attending AGS meets, I shall finally get a snazzy title under my name!
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If it was Florida I could possibly, maybe say possibly yes.  If it's France I will positively, always say no.

Perhaps I will just hunt down Frankie in Miami and feed him to the Skunk Apes...and then you'll never see him in France except during badly dubbed reruns of Harry and the Hendersons  :=

scotch

Miami sounds cool, I may not be able to afford it but I'd try. I want to meet the Americans most of all.

France sounds unexciting but practical. Like probably most Europeans I've been there. I would prefer virtually anywhere else in Europe (besides previous AGS meet locations). On the other hand it's quite central and inoffensive. If you can find somewhere cheap to rent I'll almost certainly come. I would have thought French rentals anywhere nice in Summer are far from cheap, though?

Personally I was thinking further east in Europe this year... cheaper, just as pretty, probably new territory for more people... downsides: less big tourist attractions, less people that speak the local language.

If it's France, I'd vote for the Alps.

Pumaman

Interesting proposition, Grundy! Both options sound good to me, but I guess I'd come down slightly in favour of Florida because we'd have a local host and the people there speak English ;)

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 01/08/2007 18:57:59
Interesting proposition, Grundy! Both options sound good to me, but I guess I'd come down slightly in favour of Florida because we'd have a local host and the people there speak English ;)

You've obviously never been to Miami ;)

I want to throw my hat in the ring for whatever location we decide on.  I live in Ft. Lauderdale and there's tons of stuff to do up this way too (about 30-45 minutes North of Miami).  But I would love to visit France too.

Either way.  Put me down as attending.

I've been here for almost 4 years ... suppose I should finally attend a mittens!

Matt Goble

I'm a likely for France next year, and Miami the year after.

Make sure there's a bigger hot tub next time!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk