Mittens 2014 Portugal - 19-26 July

Started by cat, Tue 07/01/2014 09:40:59

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

Cat and Bernhard have holidayed in Croatia, so I assume they were able to cope.

Wyz

Quote from: Mods on Tue 21/01/2014 22:56:51
Other ideas = Holland, because we've talked about it for years, and because we have willing hosts for that land.

Well if it's in Holland (or any other part of the Netherlands ;)) I'll definately join. ;-D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

cat

Quote from: AGA on Tue 21/01/2014 23:55:55
Cat and Bernhard have holidayed in Croatia, so I assume they were able to cope.
Yeah, this shouldn't be a problem. And if we are going to Istria we can probably get along with Italian.

I've also had a look at various houses. I think we should aim for 18-20 people and either close to the beach or with a pool. However, it seems that most houses at the beach that would fit our group size are apartment houses. I think we need a large communal space and not several apartments with each a small kitchen and livingroom. I'll have a look and post some houses.

Esseb

A pool is probably better than walking distance to the beach.

We can always commute a shortish distance to the closest beach one day or two, but lounging in/around a pool all week is a tradition by this point.

Disco

I agree, and tried avoiding any listings that said it was a collection ofr apartments. A decent sized kitchen is essential.

Also, a pool > proximity to a beach, but we should have little issue getting to the sea at some point from the looks of things.

m0ds

Villa Katarina looks great, too bad it only sleeps 14. Dat view!!! Epic :o

The first and last one are also quite appealing, the first one especially for its communal areas and "whirlpool". Again only sleeps 14 tho. They all have some sort of charm (except for one of them which looks a bit bland), and one has pool table! Just my opinion on your list :) Alas, all but the last sleep under 20.

Andail

Anyone noticed how every time there's a mittens topic, certain specific mittens people just pop up out of the woodwork?

AGS needs you the other 51 weeks as well, damned cherry pickers!!

DoorKnobHandle

Just out of interest, has there ever been a Mittens in a country where none of the attendees were native or knew the native language? This is not supposed to be a criticism of Croatia as a place, I'm just wondering.

m0ds

Ha, and what is it with everywhere having a Villa Katerina every year we look into this!!!

As for language - probably only...France? I think that was the only time we haven't had a native speaker with us, though a few people knew French well and the rest of us had a basic grasp of the language. In Greece only one person spoke Greek (Helm). I didn't understand a single thing whilst we were in Greece... In Sweden we had three maybe four natives? Spain would almost count, if we hadn't effectively holidayed in England in Spain, as only Farlander could speak English + Spanish - but again several knew the language and yeah, it was basically Britain so it wasn't tough... Italy could've gone the same way, but several non-Italians knew the language really well. The rest are pretty much English speaking destinations, and in Germany everyone seemed to know some (yourself included).

But that's why I ask. It does put on certain pressure on people who speak the language (if in this case only Cat and Bernhard) for them to do all the translating for all of us. That's why I asked originally, I just don't think it's so fair on people who perhaps want to enjoy a holiday and not be translators 24/7. This is usually fine with the natives, and perhaps it's fine with those who aren't native. But we really have no ties to Croatia other than it's been suggested and it looks quite nice. With what Berian says, this is going to fall on Cat and Bernhard - especially if it means meeting a Croatian person to pick up the keys etc. Unless of course someone from Croatia steps up, or there's a bunch of people who can speak it. I think it's worth considering how fair it would be to place that task on someone's head, and how many people can help with the language.

But yeah I'm not criticizing it either, I've heard people round here love Croatia and recommend it. But for practical reasons, with no natives, could make it a little difficult, or unfair on those who will have to do all the translating. But yeah that's not a "no way" just because of a lack of language abilities, just a bit of foresight.

DoorKnobHandle

Cat and Bernhard speak a bit of Croatian? Or am I misunderstanding you? :p

m0ds

According to Berian they might, yes..

QuoteCat and Bernhard have holidayed in Croatia, so I assume they were able to cope.

edit oh and cat herself said

QuoteYeah, this shouldn't be a problem. And if we are going to Istria we can probably get along with Italian.

DoorKnobHandle

I thought they meant that you can get by okay with English in Croatia! :p

m0ds

Oh, well I've no idea of that, though that wouldn't surprise me, some friends have been there and I can't imagine they speak any Croatian.

cat

I don't speak any Croatian (except for "hvala") and neither does Bernhard. Also my neighbours go to Croatia every year for vacation and they didn't mentioned any difficulties. I think we will get along without problems, especially in touristy areas.

Disco

Quote from: Mods on Wed 22/01/2014 20:49:26
As for language - probably only...France? I think that was the only time we haven't had a native speaker with us

While not native, in France we had Ivy as a fluent speaker. About halfway though the grotte tour, she took over for the guide after they decided it would be simpler to hand Ivy the notes :P I think we managed nicely with the french we knew between us, and my only difficulty was trying to tell a clerk I wanted a baguette, but that only took a few seconds of pointing.

AGA

I didn't know what anyone was talking aboot in Canada, eh.

Grundislav

Quote from: Mods on Wed 22/01/2014 20:49:26
Spain would almost count, if we hadn't effectively holidayed in England in Spain, as only Farlander could speak English + Spanish

Hey! :angry:

AGA

You speak American, that doesn't count.

cat

I had a quick look (don't be confused because of the German website)

This one looks very nice
http://www.fewo-direkt.de/ferienwohnung-ferienhaus/p264794t 18 people, 3.839 â,¬
This seems to be the same house with different conditions:
http://www.novasol.at/p/CIL380

A bit more rustic
http://www.fewo-direkt.de/ferienwohnung-ferienhaus/p2087078 21 people, 3.390 â,¬

More expensive
http://www.novasol.at/p/CIL945 20 people, 5.320â,¬

Andail

Quote from: cat on Thu 23/01/2014 17:20:37
A bit more rustic
http://www.fewo-direkt.de/ferienwohnung-ferienhaus/p2087078 21 people, 3.390 â,¬

Lol, that was the ugliest villa I've ever seen.
I love it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk