Mittens 2014 Portugal - 19-26 July

Started by cat, Tue 07/01/2014 09:40:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco

I'll be collecting numbers via PM and making list which will include the address and other relevant information. Please send me your number(s) and I will compile them by Monday!

tampie85

I think there are several interesting areas in Lisbon.
It might be nice to go there for a day or so, just like we did in Berlin.

Interesting Area 1:

Santa Justa lift, Lisbon Cathedral and Castelo de Sao Jorge

Interesting Area 2:

Torre de Belem, Padrao dos descobrimentos and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos

Interesting area 3:

Parque das Nacoes

Interesting Area 4:
Alfama, an area with pubs and restaurants and a historic tram

All items in mentioned areas are on walking distance. Public transport/a big walk is required to travel from one area to the next.

Esseb

I just realised I never said my flight times: July 19th 10:10 - 26th 16:25

Edit: Damn, Lisboa looks pretty awesome, touristwise. A day trip is definitely in order.

cat

I guess we will have to do a lot of sightseeing this time ;-D

To add more to the list:
Eléctrico de Sintra
We can take a tram to the beach (Praia das Maçãs) to hang out there.

AGA

My boss is Portuguese, and knows Sintra well.  She said she'd give me some recommendations, so I'll post those soon.

Snarky

Quote from: Arj0n on Thu 10/07/2014 11:51:58
Is was wondering what nice spots in, or close to, Sintra are worth a visit and I stubled upon these two spots I'd really like to visit:

1.: Moors' Castle (Castelo dos Mouros) (castles / ruins)
2.: Quinta Da Regaleira (palaces and beautiful gardens)

These look great, Arjon! I'd love to see the gardens in particular.

Quote from: Tamara on Sat 12/07/2014 17:19:05
I think there are several interesting areas in Lisbon.
It might be nice to go there for a day or so, just like we did in Berlin.

Interesting Area 1:

Santa Justa lift, Lisbon Cathedral and Castelo de Sao Jorge
Interesting Area 2:

Torre de Belem, Padrao dos descobrimentos and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos

Interesting area 3:

Parque das Nacoes

Interesting Area 4:
Alfama, an area with pubs and restaurants and a historic tram

All items in mentioned areas are on walking distance. Public transport/a big walk is required to travel from one area to the next.

I saw those when I was in Lisbon before, and yeah, they're all worth a visit (although I remember the Parque das Nacoes mainly as a place to go out, with restaurants, bars and clubs, rather than a particularly interesting attraction in its own right, but then I didn't really visit the actual Expo leftovers). Unless I'm completely mistaken, your Area 1 and Area 4 are in fact the same: Alfama is a neighborhood on the hill running up to the Sao Jorge castle, and the tram takes you past the cathedral. The old elevator is a bit further away as I recall it, on the other side of the downtown area.

If and when we do go to downtown Lisbon, I recommend a seafood restaurant a Portuguese friend took a bunch of us to: Cervejaria Ramiro. Truly amazing crabs, barnacles(!), shrimp, clams etc. at a reasonable price. They have tiger shrimp the size of lobsters!

Cassiebsg

Now you just making me home sick. :p
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

tampie85

I think you are right Snarky.
I never have been to Lisbon before, but I made above list for a planned company trip which got cancelled.

Based on your comments my preference would be to combine 1 and 4, visit 2 too amd skip 3, since it seems out of direction of the other 2 places and less interesting.

DutchMarco

Oh dear Cassie, are yuo a vegetarian too? I already knew about Disco, Bicilotti and Miez, they would not like to dine there!
(To be frank, I would.)

arj0n

Quote from: DutchMarco on Sun 13/07/2014 14:21:09
I already knew about Disco, Bicilotti and Miez, they would not like to dine there!
Me neither, cause I'm a 'reversed pescetarian'  :-X
Spoiler

(one who does eat meat but no seafood)
[close]

Cassiebsg

Oh no, you miss understood me... I meant I'm salivating from the sight of so delicious food! :)

You really need to look up the meaning of "home sick". ;)

Disco

Woo! we're leaving in about 72 hours :D

Kayla (violetnotpurple) and I plan to be at the airport to greet the first wave of Mitteners. Between 10:10 and 13:45, we have Esseb, Snarky, AGA, Arj0n and Tamara arriving. Since check-in is at 16:00, I recommend the seven of us make the initial expedition to Sintra.  Arj0n and Tamara: You are renting a car from the airport? If so, the remaining five can get a head start on the train. We will have an hour to kill upon arrival, or just leave a bit later.

Since we have some late arrivals, may I suggest that the first wave do some basic drink stocking and perhaps get some takeaway or pizza for the first night? That takes some pressure off and allows for a more relaxing first evening. We can do some more serious shopping the following morning when most are present.

cat

Are shops open on Sundays in Portugal? Otherwise it might be a good idea if the first guys arriving could at least get some breakfast, too. We could also dine out the first evening to make things easier.

And I'd love to eat at the seafood place 8-0

Snarky

Well, we could always split up. Otherwise, I'm sure they have good seafood closer to Sintra as well. I'd expect it'd be more difficult for the vegetarians to find somewhere to eat...

Cassiebsg

Shopping centers and Hipers are normally open on sundays, as far as I remember. Restaurants, snack-bars  and alike are also normally open.

tampie85

Arj0n, AGA and me are indeed renting a car.
Basic ahopping seems to be a good idea.
The fish place is looking good, but since Arjon is allergic to eat sea food, we might have to split up and to to a restaurant where they also serve things other than fish.

What are hipers?

Cassiebsg

Very big supermarkets.  ;) Hipermarkets! Though, supermarkets might also be open. (minus big holidays)

Disco

Splitting up could work, but I am usually fine in the most adverse food situations, unless we end up at a seafood-only restaurant.

I keep finding conflicting reports on good vegetarian options in Portugal or Spain, but most of the newer and therefore relevant information points out that it isn't difficult at all, or at least has greatly improved in recent years.

Most of the information I found saying it is a harsh climate for vegetarians seems somewhat out of date.

Edit: Is anyone besides myself an actual full-on vegetarian this Mittens?. I don't want to split up if possible if that is the only reason to outside of practicality.

Cassiebsg

Here's a list with Vegetarian/Vegan restaurants:

http://www.centrovegetariano.org/Restaurantes.html

And there seems to be 4 in Sintra area: http://www.centrovegetariano.org/Restaurantes-Sintra.html
The first one is open on Tuesday- Sunday, the two in the middle Mon-Sat (they both have take-away and the 3rd one also has regular food, including seafood).
The last one is open Wen-Sun.

Hope it helps you to find something when you guys are planning out trips. :)

Pumaman

Quote from: DutchMarco on Sat 12/07/2014 11:59:27
Thinking about that again, wouldn't it be convenient if we had a street address to get to?

Good point, what is the postal address of the villa?
We'll be arriving late and may get a taxi so this would be quite useful to know!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk