Nimbus! - AGS Steam - PreAlpha release

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 18/08/2010 16:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Wersus

This doesn't really sound half bad. I hope it turns out good and people find it too.

I have a question though: how do you determine what file you execute in the game folder? And how do you find the setup file? Just asking as I did some data hiding in my game and created an external exe to run the game, so does that screw it up?

Anyway, the idea kind of makes me wish there was a steam for free games in general. I personally miss a lot of great small games just because setting up the game is too much work for a short session. I have like 50 zip files lying around that I've downloaded ages ago and I'm never going to play them as I have no idea what they are anymore.

btw, you should make it possible to use the program without installation. I think that would make it more approachable to people who aren't in the heart of AGS developer community, but just want to try a game or two.

Peder 🚀

AGSArchives.com will allways provide direct2drive downloads directly from the website :).
So whoever is only wanting to play a couple of games won't have to download the program!

I assume it would be possible to show both a normal download link and a nexus download link on the website while if they are on the website within the program it will only show the nexus download link.

Snake

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but, what's going on with this one, Calin?
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Dualnames

I caught myself thinking it was actually out.  :'(
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Peder 🚀

There is an alpha version :P. I am still working on sorting out the new nexus friendly version of www.agsarchives.com.
Still ALOT of games to sort out... Currently struggling a bit getting paid work hence why it has taken longer than I wanted as most of my time has gone into looking for work.

straydogstrut

So here's an idea that came to me just now in those delirious moments before I drift off to sleep: I was thinking of making my own boxed versions of my favourite AGS games, and for no other reason than my fondness for physical media and my obsession with filling any spare patch of floor in our room.

Bear with me, this is Nexus related!

Then I started thinking about compilations and how you'll get boxsets of games under a common theme. I know we've discussed different metadata for the games in Nexus - that alone has me drooling - but I'm thinking, what about a Nexus version of iTunes' Genius? You know, like the compilations of different music genres you get in Genius. Although better than Genius which never seems to give me a decent playlist (or maybe that's just my rubbish music collection!). This is all covered by the metadata, of course, but there could be interesting compilations to group different games together.

Anyway, it's not like you guys don't have enough to do, i'm just throwing it out there. I haven't really thought it through.

G'night y'all.

Calin Leafshade

Hola!

Ok here's a little pre-alpha version. It works in as much as it downloads and plays games but it doesnt do much more than that.

All AGS windows games *should* work but dos game currently wont.

The games are serves from Peder's AGSArchives.com and not all AGS games are availble to be installed with nexus. (Look for the 'Install via nexus' button.

Usage is pretty straight forward. If you've used steam everything should seem pretty familiar.

I would really like some feedback on what you like and dislike about the interface and how you would change it.

I know that the game card in the Collection tab looks a little silly but Peder is working on that.

http://www.thethoughtradar.com/Nexus/NexusPreAlpha2.zip
.Net framework 3 or above is required.

Crashes are almost 100% likely.

"Wait! Why is nexus fucking with my registry!"
Thats so that nexus can catch clicks from other browsers: (even when nexus isnt open)

It's entirely optional and you can ask nexus to never ask you about it again.

Have fun!

(I apologise for the shitty download speed of the client link above, GoDaddy are being assholes at the moment. The actually games are from a different source)

Igor Hardy

Doesn't even want to start on my system. :(

Calin Leafshade

Buckethead

Nice I'll check it out  :)

EDIT:

It doesn't start here either. It says "Nexus doesn't work anymore. The program shut down because of a problem". I think it has something to do with Windows security blocking it.

Dualnames

It doesn't start here either. I tried running the Registry Updater, but still no go. I'm on Win7 btw.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

ok, must be because i have admin permissions

I'll debug it!

Dualnames

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 24/03/2011 17:51:48
ok, must be because i have admin permissions

I'll debug it!

I could do with admin skills. I'm sure Peder will be very happy to give me and everyone administration access.

Ryan Timothy B

Same here. It says that Nexus has stopped working and that windows is pretending to look for a solution.
I even tried to run it as administrator, if that's what you were talking about with the admin permissions.

JJS

Crashes on start because of this exception:

Code: ags
Eine nicht behandelte Ausnahme des Typs "System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException" ist in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll aufgetreten.

Zusätzliche Informationen: Ein Teil des Pfades "C:\Users\JJS\Documents\Nexus\Settings.ini" konnte nicht gefunden werden.

If you manually create the "Nexus" folder in "Documents", it starts fine.

Windows 7 x64 btw.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Buckethead

YES! JJS' solution has done the trick for me. Testing it now.

Calin Leafshade

Yea i just found that.. That was a really stupid error.

I will upload another version now with another fix that i have just found.

Dualnames

Seems to be working. How do I remove games?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 24/03/2011 18:11:30
Seems to be working. How do I remove games?

That is the next feature on my list dually pants.

TomatoesInTheHead

Everything that should work (including parallel downloading/installing/browsing) seems to work fine here (WinXP, and after applying JJS' solution).

At this time the only thing that bothered me was the maximizing functionality, as it makes the window cover the whole screen instead of only the whole desktop (so it's actually a full screen mode, and not a maximize function), and that when maximized, the restore button is still showing a maximize icon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk