Non-Gaming Usage of AGS?

Started by Magic, Wed 28/02/2007 16:28:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic

In short, does anyone know of any examples where people have used AGS for a 'serious' production?

I'm doing an IT helpdesk 'simulation' for a uni project and since I'm just writing up my documentation I'm wondering if I could mention non-gaming usages of AGS-made products as comparisons.

Here are a few screenshots for the curious (It's not finished so don't verbally hurt me!):

- Magic

Baron

How serious?

Last year I started a treeplanting simulator which was meant to train people how to treeplant effectively.  It had a slew of variables that you had to balance, like dehydration and energy loss (curable by taking strategic breaks where you would drink water and eat food).  You also had to plant trees in mineral soil, which sometimes required screefing (removing surface vegetation), in holes not to deep, and at an appropriate density (in this case a tree every two steps).    At the end of each level you would be assessed on how you performed.  It was meant to be quite involved, but I only ever constructed the one level.  I found the complexity of treeplanting didn't really suit a keybased "game" very well (remembering B for screef and V for testing the ground and C for jump, etc. got very confusing and wasn't intuitive at all).  Anyway, it stands sort of as a work abandoned at this point.
Having said that, have a look if you're interested:

Spacebar is plant/unplant, Enter is pause (for food/drink) and if you plant the cache stop you end the round.  Movement is keybased (i.e. right, left, up, down).  There is a brief instructional text file, but it probably wouldn't make much sense to someone completely foreign to treeplanting.  Essentially your mission is to plant trees (spacebar) in open soil, every two steps across the landscape, unless there's an obstacle like a rock or a stump.  Then push spacebar while standing on the cache and see how you did!  PM me if you have any questions.

monkey0506

Yes...game design is not a serious endeavour at all...oh no...not at all... :o

Ashen

It's serious work, that's for sure, but 'game' suggests 'entertainment', and that not necessarily serious as I'd use the word.

On Topic: There's the FLE French Revision thing, which is/was a game/revision tool for French (obviously). One completed chapter was released last May, but I can't find anything after that. The designer is still around the forums, maybe they could give you more info on 'serious' uses?
I also got a few PMs from someone who was developing educational games with AGS, but they seem to have disappeared without releasing anything. (That one probably isn't as useful...)
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Magic

Thanks for the replies.
Quote from: Ashen on Wed 28/02/2007 23:37:34
It's serious work, that's for sure, but 'game' suggests 'entertainment', and that not necessarily serious as I'd use the word.
As soon as I proposed my original concept I was asked about this:
---
TUTOR: How do you draw a distinction between simulation and a game?

MAGIC: A simulation aims to be a serious and realistic rendition of something in life, while a game can be as contrived as it needs to be in order to be fun.

Both require interaction of some level and have other similarities.
---

BaRoN: Mind if I mention your simulator and possibly even screenshot? I'll PM Passer-by too.

I suppose I could even take a look at old 'edutainment' games too.
- Magic

SSH

My walkcycle generator is written in AGS and is a tool, rather than a game

As for tree simulators, don't forget VPXT and VPXT2!

Ubel

I've made a paint program and a text editor with AGS. Both were very rough though. I only worked for about one day on both of them. I don't think I have either of them anymore after all the hard drive crashes. :\

I've also made a simple tile map editor with AGS, but that might be too game related to fit in this category. But if you're interested in that, you can check it out: http://koti.mbnet.fi/paapeli/labyrinth.zip

Magic

Thanks again guys. :) I'm just returning to the report for a while and am mentioning some of these now.

SSH: Could you show me a screenshot, a description (A few sentences will do) and even your first and surname?

Pablo: Your labyrinth program is fun, if simple, but it'll suffice for showing the range of "programs" that can be made with AGS. I've made my own description and screenshots, but I'd appreciate your first and surname too for reference.

Reference = So I look more professional rather than quoting someone's alias!
- Magic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk