Started by elliot87, Fri 25/06/2010 18:56:49

Previous topic - Next topic

elliot87

What's happening at The Silver Lining website? http://www.tsl-game.com
Adrienne Elliott
Production Coordinator
The Silver Lining

Radiant

They've got a countdown set to a few days from now. I guess they have something to tell us about that cease-and-desist order they got last month?

Sslaxx

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 25/06/2010 19:36:46
They've got a countdown set to a few days from now. I guess they have something to tell us about that cease-and-desist order they got last month?
That quote on the site makes me think "re-write stripping out the Vivendi-owned stuff", actually...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

GarageGothic

Just a few moments left of the countdown. Any last minute bets? My money's on suicide pact, but I'll settle for a first episode release.

Edit: Countdown to a release date announcement? Meh. Guess I'll check back in another two weeks.

elliot87

The countdown is over, and TSL will see the light of day!
Head on over to http://www.postudios.com/ and http://www.tsl-game.com/ to find out all about it!
Adrienne Elliott
Production Coordinator
The Silver Lining

Dualnames

Quote from: elliot87 on Sat 26/06/2010 22:02:28
The countdown is over, and TSL will see the light of day!
Head on over to http://www.postudios.com/ and http://www.tsl-game.com/ to find out all about it!

GREAT NEWS!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

It's very much alive!  ;D ;D

Press release, trailer and several screenshots in the link below (graphics are pretty mind-blowing):

http://captaind-pc-gaming.blogspot.com/2010/06/press-release-silver-lining.html

splat44

Yes! This great news!

As I already told to other places since 2 C.D. and with battle that took place, it seem we were playing actual game in real word to find out we won again! Yahoo!

TerranRich

Awesome! I emailed them, offering up some of my web space to host a mirror of the TSL download. ;D

Charity

Sooo.  They released the demo again today.  Thoughts and opinions?

Dualnames

Honestly I DON'T WANT TO REGISTER!!! >:(
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

TerranRich

Are they forcing people to register to download it? If so, that's utterly stupid. And it breaks one of the main ideals of web development: never force registration unless there's a DAMNED good reason for it.

I got an advanced copy of TSL as one of the mirror hosts for the game. I installed it the day I got it, but haven't tried it out yet. :(

GarageGothic

Yeah, everybody has to register - even game journalists, as I found out from the press release they sent me. Really bad move in terms of publicity.

If you tried the demo/beta thing they released a long while back there's really not much new in the game except for a few cutscenes, as far as I could gather from their forums. The fans seem to like it though. Personally I'll just have to accept that I was never a King's Quest kind of guy, and have a difficult time taking the melodramatic and often on-the-nose dialogue seriously (plus I like being able to use my mouse wheel for changing cursor modes).

Very impressive in terms of production value though, and it's clear that lots of love has been put into this project. I'm very happy for the developers that they finally got to release it after all the setbacks. Congrats, guys!

Edit: Oh, and the narrator is a total bitch :) but voice acting is really good.

Dualnames

Terran, I really 'd love a copy of the game without registering, so if you can somehow give use/me a link I'd be really glad. I'd rather die before registering. I have no trouble registering, but not in such way. I'm glad for them, but this just pisses me off.

Layabout

I've played it. I kinda agree with what GarageGothic said, there isn't much new additional content other than the cutscenes.

It would have been nice if they had used higher resolution textures as they look really blurry.

Gameplay is limited, as it more or less tells you what to do and where to go. This may change as it is the first episode, but there were really no puzzles whatsoever.

Camera can be annoying at times.

Animation is really good for a freeware game with the exception of Graham's walkcycle, which is poo on a stick.

Otherwise, it's good to see they got it released.

I just registered using my not for reals email address. It's quite simple but it is something they should have avoided.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Igor Hardy

Agree with what GG and Layabout said. But there was 1 puzzle! - the same one as in the demo.

Otherwise it's cool that Graham can sit on benches, eavesdrop on dog guards, or climb a tree a bit. Also, you can go into a part of town where there is absolutely nothing to do except to listen to the Narrator's stories.

TerranRich

So I've been playing TSL for an hour or two now, and so far I have yet to come across any real puzzle. It's just interaction after interaction, with a few HORRIBLE narrator jokes tossed in, including shameless self-promotion if you try to talk to SingSing, the nightingale. Also, fourth-wall jokes are fine and dandy, if they're done properly, and sparsely. TSL fails in that regard.

It takes so long to get from point A to point B. I'm sure there's a speed slider somewhere in the options (I haven't checked yet), but it's not just that. There's SO MUCH unused space. In the 4 or 5 screens between the castle and the dock, there's nobody around to talk to. You can't even interact with the "End is Near" doomsayer guy with the mask.

I walk all the way over to the dock, only for the narrator to tell me that the ferrymaster isn't here yet, so try searching for more clues in the castle. In the castle, however, I keep getting hints that there's nothing in there anymore, and to venture outside of it to continue. UGH.

Gravity

I tried to warn you. Oh wait, no I didn't. Well I guess I'm glad that I never really play fan games now.

Erpy

Terranrich, did you pick up the "clue" in the castle garden where the wedding was meant to take place? I surmise that's the clue being referred to.

TerranRich

I had no idea that area was explorable. I couldn't find a door that leads there. I thought I tried every door.

What bothers me is the amount of wasted space that I'm encountering so far. I mean, yeah, this space will most likely be utilized later in the episode, or at worst, in future episodes, but they could've worked around that by providing something of use in those locations from the get-go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk